NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
NeXT Computers Forum Switzerland

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikeboss

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: NeXT Computers Forum Switzerland Reply with quote

I really hope this doesn't offend the admins/mods of this forum... if this somehow is interferring with the rules of this forum: feel free to contact me (mb@offworld.ch) or delete this post.

people trying to register for this forum contacted me about having trouble to gain access. I now have set up a new forum for everybody interested in all things related to NeXT Computers. the registration is quick and painless. I've spent time and money to get the new forum up and running. head over to my forum, have a look and let me know what you think Smile

here's the URL: http://www.nextcomputers.ch

best regards,
michael
andreas_g

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to share my personal thoughts on this:

For me, this is a very special forum. In here are many people with very good technical knowledge and great resources of software and hardware. Almost all questions are answered quickly and accurately. People looking for a piece of hardware are often offered things at prices far below their actual value.

So if anyone has a request for information or is looking for some kind of hardware he can just search or post in this forum and is very likely to get what he is looking for. This defines the value of this forum.
I think there are two main reasons for it being like this: First, the NeXT community is quite small and consists of many people with very good technical knowledge. Likely this is because the NeXT's distribution area was mostly in highly specialized and educational sectors.
Second, this is the sole central meeting place where the people of the community communicate and share their thoughts and knowledge. There is no need to search through several forums and collect the pieces of information to get a complete answer. It can't happen that one posts a question to some forum, but the one who knows the answer is reading a different one.

From my point of view, it would not be good to split this into two or more forums. Of course if it's true that it is no longer possible to become a member here that would be a big problem. But i think we should concentrate to solve that problem and keep this forum alive instead of opening second one. If there is something i can do to keep this forum alive, i'd be happy to help with time or money.

I hope that in case this forum is really going to be closed the admins inform us early, so we can migrate all informations and all members to some different place then, without splitting the community.

Again, these are just my personal opinions. I'd like to hear what others think.
mikeboss

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andreas, I totally agree with you. the problem is though, that the potential forum members who contacted me are thinking that this is some sort of an elite community because they couldn't register successfully. they give up and go away... which is not a good thing. also, we don't know how many people have tried to become members and didn't contact me or other members about having trouble to register. it seems other members were also contacted about this (pentium). I offered to help the admins, too... so far, no answers. I'm not an admin/mod here, so I can't do anythng about it. my only option to do something about it was to open up a new forum... it is definitely not my intention to split the community. all I want is that everybody interested in NeXT Computers has a place to meet. that's why I invested time and money to start a forum.

edit:
Rob Blessin also posted about this matter back in june ->
http://www.nextcomputers.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=17779
gtnicol

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think splitting an already limited community will make things worse, so perhaps we should look at the root cause of the problem, and address the signup procedures? I'm betting the amount of spam makes handling registrations a real PITA...
andreas_g

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds quite bad. It's maybe much worse than i thought. Of course a forum where no new members can sign in has no future.
In fact there are some new users in the members list every month, but most of them are inactive (or not activated?) and some of them are obviously spam/bots. Maybe the spam problem is that bad, that it is no longer possible to separate real users from others ... just guessing.

I'm not sure what's the best solution for this situation. Of course it would be ideal to fix the registration issue and continue here. But if that doesn't work, starting something new is the only option. Thank you for your efforts to do so! It's definitely important to have a place where new members can discuss. It would be too bad losing them just because it is no longer possible to sign in here.

But i'm a little bit worried about losing all the valuable posts and many members from this place. In my opinion it would be best to start over with all the content and users we already have. But i don't know if that is possible.

Update:
gtnicol, didn't see your post before. If i did understand correctly, there have already been efforts to solve the registration issue. But all attempts to contact the admins have failed. Please correct me, if i'm wrong.
gtnicol

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to hear from the admins before we do anything. If they're swamped, then perhaps we can assign other admins?
Rob Blessin Black Hole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gtnicol wrote:
I would like to hear from the admins before we do anything. If they're swamped, then perhaps we can assign other admins?

Hello NeXT community: I did hear from Nitro "Steve" in August, he has been taking care of a sick parent this past year. I just emailed him again as he said he would set me up as an admin via phone.
I just pm'd him again.
I think it would be cool to have several of us granted administrative access and think Mike, Andreas and Gavin you all would be obvious choices in my book. Hopefully all is well and he will get back in touch with me . I'll ask how he wants to move forward and hopefully he will respond to this thread as well.
I think a mirror of this forum would be welcome and I like Mikes idea of streamlining registration but not so much to where it opens the floodgates to spammers.
I currently experience this problem on my website with the cgi scripts and shopping cart software with comments section , where I actually disabled comments because I was getting spammed hourly.
As far as a second forum I'm not sure if there is enough interest to support 2 forums at this point in time and it may cause dilution, Mike I checked out the page and it looks nice .
I'm excited to be working on systems currently for a few of the main guys that developed IOS interface , Iphone and Ipad engineers and also on Jobs advisory board, I hope they will join the forum and they are going to work on updating some of the old software and creating some cool newstuff as well . Still holding out hope we can track down the NeXT source code .
Also some of the new guys that are now registered are very helpful as well so I'm stoked to see a renewed interest and a spark to grow this forum lets keep it rolling! Best Regards Rob Blessin
mikeboss

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this sounds promising! let's hope it will be sorted out soon. I made a complete backup of the forum. although it's not suitable for being made available online, I have every single thread here on my disk. just in case...
Rob Blessin Black Hole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikeboss wrote:
this sounds promising! let's hope it will be sorted out soon. I made a complete backup of the forum. although it's not suitable for being made available online, I have every single thread here on my disk. just in case...

Hello Mike : Sounds good .

Does anyone have a direct email, snail mail or phone number for Nitro ? I know I have met him and he lives here in Colorado , I searched my database no match. Nitro you can call me at 303-741-9998 and I will help out ! Best regards Rob Blessin
Khashoggi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote for Rob Blessin to be a Moderator.

Best wishes for Nitro's family.
Rob Blessin Black Hole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Khashoggi wrote:
I vote for Rob Blessin to be a Moderator.

Best wishes for Nitro's family.

Hello NeXT Community: I have spoken with Steve and a lot of good news on the horizon for NeXTcomputers.org . I am now an administrator and we are going to set up a moderator level so we are seeking help in this respect. I know Gavin is in and I thought the Mike , Andreas and Khashoggi you all may be interested in being moderators as well.
Mike I spoke to him about your site and he likes the idea of a mirrored site and a proposed merger if you are up to it , this way we will have backups!
Also anyone interested in signing up for the forums, you can email me directly at sales@blackholeinc.com with your preferred username and email. I will forward them to Steve and we will get you set up on the forums.
Steve is doing better and is out of the hospital and we will be working at upgrading the site and with your help keep the forums going for years into the future, sound good.
We also look forward to any feedback or suggestions you all may have to help improve the site! Best regards Rob Blessin

Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> NeXT Work Logs All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: