NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Openstep 4.2 and earlier install success on 9gb trials trib

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob Blessin Black Hole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:10 am    Post subject: Openstep 4.2 and earlier install success on 9gb trials trib Reply with quote

Hello NeXT Community: I want to thank you all for the orders coming in we appreciate it. I thought documenting what I'm doing for customers with regard to installing Openstep and NeXT 3rd party software will also help do it yourselfer members of the forums in their efforts. In fact if you get stumped on an install just pm me and I'll be glad to help.
Over the years I've had success installing NeXTSTEP and Openstep this thread pertains to scsi harddrives, feel free to add !

NeXTSTEP .8, .9 and 1.0 originally on Magneto Optical only using the build disk app in these early versions allows you to copy a clean early NeXTSTEP operating system image from a working magneto optical disk to harddisk or hard disk to magneto only. It did not allow for builddisk hard disk to hard disk until NeXTSTEP builddisk in version 2.0

Thanks to the efforts of Khashoggi , we have the ability to resurrect original Optical Disk Drives

I know the earlier versions install as I have seen it running on the huge full height Maxtor 330Mb , 660Mb , Quantum 105Mb and 210Mb and Seagate ST 1280 239Mb and 1480N 426Mb drives

If you have an early image on an earlier drive you can use the hyrens CD , drive recovery utility then protools to make a clone of the drive image . I used a Pentium 4 with adaptec 2940uw scsi controller and booted into the hyrens disk on an eide dvd rom drive

I've verified This works for 50 pin identical ST1480N drives for NeXTSTEP .9 and 1.0.

NeXTSTEP 2.0 , 2.1 and 2.2 buildisk supports drive to drive cloning upto 1gb and it allows you to set the drive size partition of the destination drive so they do not need to be identical.

NeXTSTEP 3.0 NeXT was the very first computer software on the planet to be released on CD Rom and we made the very first 3rd party cd called the Alembic CD with the help of NeXT and Young Minds. It beat the heck out of stacks of floppies or the quirky optical disk.

A clean install of 3.0 set your scsi id of the hard drive to 0 or 1

Crash course in setting scsi jumpers , shints, terminators and terminating resistors in case you don't know:

If you have your scsi hard drive in hand look for the make and model number ie Seagate ST1480N go to the search engine of your choice like google or yahoo type in the info and spec.

If you are in luck a spec page will appear some drives actually have diagrams on them showing termination and scsi id jumpers.

A jumper is a tiny plastic component that acts like a light switch for your drive . Drives usually have rows of pins that correlate to different drive features and the Jumper acts to toggle these features on and off.

NeXT computers have a scsi controller that allows you to hook up to 6 scsi devices.

NeXTs like it best if you set you boot drive up to be scsi id 0 or 1 and the cdrom drives seem to work best at 6 .

NeXT's also like the hard drives to be terminated unlike Sun , so on your spec sheet you will see tp and te jumpers set jumpers on the tp and in some cases both te jumpers.

I'll try to provide photos of this in the future , right now I'm slammed !

Some drives also have terminating resistors that look like tiny combs and mate with the connector on the drive , these are in sets of 3 and you will want the tiny lettering on them to face out.

INSTALL READY : If done correctly data and power cable connected to hard drive which is terminated scsi id 1 and external cd terminated and set to 6 , boot floppy in place .

Power up the NeXT when testing system goes to loading from disk hit command and ~

This should take you to a NeXT> type in bfd then press enter

it should say bad magic and find the cd drive follow install instructions if done right it should find the hard drive.

If you get stuck you can call me at 303 741-9998 or drop an email to sales@blackholeinc.com

We have NeXTSTEP and OpenSTEP operating system and Y2k iso images
on our website for download for a reasonable fee , helps keep the lights on with the permission of Apple Legal. I help out on a lot of prior art cases as well

NeXTSTEP 3.1, 3.2 and 3.3 Install and builddisk work on up to 4gb drives, I will try 3.3 on a 9Gb this week. same proceedure as 3.0

Some gurus write disk tab entries threads on here on that it allows for a single partition.

NeXT installs in 2Gb partitions so after the install is complete your

2nd to gb partition is hidden until you set a password for the me account,

then log out , you will now have a login panel

type root and login , double click calender app , scroll right check unix expert

edit etc/fstab file to mount second partition ... I have a youtube video showing this...

NeXT has great documentation just go to the directory NeXT librarybookshelves and highlight sysadmin bookshelf , it will walk you through most of the above in detail!

We will have it online and are putting together a nice documents section here in the archives and at http://www.blackholeinc.com/docs
I also have demo movies on my youtube /robblessin showing a lot of this !

Openstep on 9 Gb's well it creates 1 2gb partition and 4 ~ 1.5 gb partitions , I have it working on NeXT hardware on 50 pin drives, 68 pin drives with adaptor and 80 pin drives . I'm currently creating master drives tackling the 3rd party installs , half the battle is clean media then patience , I have a 4 cdrom stack currently and it takes for ever to size everything and copy as some of the old 3rd party cd's were only 1 through 4x lol. It has been on this a week.

I'm trying to figure out a way once I have the master to use cloning tools
because of the adapters 68 to 50 and 80 to 50 it doesn't work but I've ordered in 68pin cable to try that out.

I'm also integrating a scsi hard drive stack with 2gb of software each so hopefully it'll speed up the duplication process.

I may also try it on an Intel Openstep box I'm building at anyrate I'm working out a recipe for the most efficient way to install Openstep 4.2 User , Developer and Y2k patches and 6 NeXT 3rd party cds on to the drive.

When I do a builddisk from 1 9Gb to the second it limits the amount to about 600Mb a bug, then it won't see the second drives 4 additional partitions. I've tried everyway I can think off in editing FSTAB , it will see the partitions but give device busy error.

The point is it would make it so much easier if

Master 9Gb with partition b,c,d and e would clone to slave 9gb with partition b,c,d,e , I can do this with 4gb drives in under an hour verse a week currently but the advantage of having a 9gb recipe will be newer drive, faster, double the space and tons of them around currently!

Peace out for now Best Regards Rob Blessin

Wink
Rob Blessin Black Hole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello NeXT Community: * I have succesfully used A Pentium IV with Adaptec 2940 UW SCSI Controller then Hyrens CD and Pro Tools to successfully clone a 9Gb HP labeled Seagate 39173N drive from Drive SCSI ID 0 to SCSI ID 2. This is great for me as I have a master 9gb drive the has Openstep 4.2 user , developer and Y2k patches installed , Peanuts disks 1 - 4 and Upgrade , The Sex Lies and Video CD , The Fatted Calf , Lighthouse CD, Mathematica and dozens of other NeXT legacy 3rd party apps on 4 partitions . To install all of these to the master drive from CD and floppy takes several weeks even with a 4Disk CD changer with multiple copies. A lot of the early formatted cd's had compressed files and on Black Hardware , it first sizes everything before copying to make sure there is room , this is very time intensive especially with compressed files even moving them individually . Floppy ,holy moly a lot of them are now corrupted due to age .
The long and now short of it I can clone the 9Gb master in 90 minutes yeah! Now I just need to find more of the same drives LOL.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> NeXT Work Logs All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: