NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Another Next rework project

View previous topic :: View next topic  
simon_n

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject: Another Next rework project Reply with quote

Finally finished this!
I was inspired to get on with it after finding the other amazing Next mod on here.

I hope no one objects to a hackintosh, if its a problem please pull the post.

When it looked as if Apple were going to pull the plug on the Mac pro and there would no replacement for my 5 yr old Mac Pro I was stuck to what to do.

I've already had to partially switch to PC for 3d rendering, but for other tasks I prefer working on a mac.

As nothing in the then current range really suited, I decided to look at the Hackintosh route.

I didn't want to use a pc case it just seemed wrong and after reading the Steve Jobs biography the idea of a cube conversion sprung to mind.

I couldn't bring myself to cannibalise a working Next cube, eventually after about a year of pondering I finally sourced a reconditioned cube case from Rob at Blackhole inc

After collecting all the parts I thought I'd need I just had no time to see it through.

Another year passed and finally Apple announced the new MacPro. While I now wait to receive mine, I decided this could no longer remain an empty shell.

As this is was intended to be a little workhorse, I wanted to squeeze in liquid cooling. As the mounting pins were already in the backplate grill and there was more space at the front of the case, I combined the rear grille and the front facia plate to make a new front vent with fan mounting.

The spec is an intel 3960x 6core 12 threads, 32gb of ram and an Nvdia gtx650ti 2gb ram graphics card, a little more power than the original cube Smile
I wasn't sure all of this was going to fit, but somehow I managed to get it all in.
I wanted to keep things looking as stock as possible I reused the original board mounts with a minor amendment and combined a Mac Pro rear grille with some perforated aluminium.

The only other problem assembling this was trying not to damage Rob's beautiful paint job.

I hope I did the Cube justice with my rework.

I'm looking forward to having two iconic designs adorning my desk.

jroark

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks really nice. A little sad about the Cube case (are the changes reversible?). At least it's not running Windows! But of the mods I've seen this is probably the nicest. You'll have to mod the "About this Mac" window and change the description and icon: http://www.tonymacx86.com/customization/79536-mod-about-mac.html

Do you have a copy of VMWare Fusion? If so it would also be pretty cool to see this thing running NS3.3 or OS4.2 at full screen!

Perhaps building a non-adb to USB keyboard/mouse converter would be appropriate as well? Maybe inside a soundbox case, with a line out and speaker?
gtnicol

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like very minimal changes to the case itself... just cutting out the back plate perhaps?
nextchef

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely done. I do like the use of the mac pro cheese grater panels, painted black of course.

Be sure to post a pic of your desk with this mod sitting next to the new mac pro. If it only had a more matte black finish it would match better with the cube.
itomato

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ni ce work, very clean.

If you're looking for another mod project, this ADB to USB converter is very satisfying, or there's a Non-ADB solution.
Jsmirand

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:15 pm    Post subject: nice job Reply with quote

your mod looks sharp. have you thought of interfacing a next keyboard to your hackintosh?
Khashoggi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful job!

Congrats!
eagle

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice job on the conversion!

And wait, with that Non-ADB to USB adapter, I can use my original NeXT keyboard with my current-generation iMac?? I have an Arduino around here, so I might just have to wire that up and try it. Very neato.
All mono
simon_n

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated.

Typically a friend of mine has now come up with a way (although a little complex) to use original the backplate with this setup, so as soon as I source another one the rear of my conversion will be restored back to original (he could have suggested sooner!)

But for now I'll enjoy using it especially now Apple's delayed my macpro until march!

I think I may have to also add a keyboard and mouse to make this complete!
pergamon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eagle wrote:
Very nice job on the conversion!

And wait, with that Non-ADB to USB adapter, I can use my original NeXT keyboard with my current-generation iMac?? I have an Arduino around here, so I might just have to wire that up and try it. Very neato.

Yup! The project was created by Adafruit about a year ago. I did some work to add mediocre mouse support, but I got distracted. If you want to try the mouse too:

https://github.com/mgrdcm/USB-NeXT-Keyboard/tree/mouse
cray

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A nice and clean mod, very sophisticated. You did a great job on preserving the outer looks. Also very good solution for inner works.
Maybe I would have painted the aluminum from the mainboard fixation also in black, but on the other hand it makes a nice contrast Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> NeXT Work Logs All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: