NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
SCSI to IDE adapter that does not cost an arm and a leg?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
barcher174

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a NS Color Turbo booting from this card now. Performance feels snappier than a standard HDD. This may be a good cheap option going forward. I used the --apple option and limited the drive size to 1.8GB.

--
Brian
mikeboss

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brian,

what options did you set on the SCSI2SD? my cube now boots from an external device, but when I try to install NeXTSTEP the cube just freezes. plus, during boot I'm getting this error:

sc: MESSAGE REJECT RECEIVED

what's really nice about the SCSI2SD is the possibility to set the VENDOR/PRODUCT-ID! this should eliminate the necessity to edit the disktab in NeXTSTEP 1.x.
barcher174

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also see those messages, but everything seems to work OK. I used the diskbuilder app to install nextstep. It failed initially with a console message about the cylinder per block being incorrect. What I ended up doing was renaming newfs to newfs_new and then creating a script called newfs which called the old binary with the "-c 7" option. I will try in a cube and see if there are any issues later this week.

--
Brian
mikeboss

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no matter what I try, NeXTSTEP 1.0a keeps panicking. tried it with --apple, unit attention option ON/OFF; parity checking ON/OFF. different bytes per sector. nothing seems to help. all I'm getting now is

panic: (Cpu 0) scsi_cintr: bad sd_state

also tried to boot the NS 3.3 installer fom my external CF card reader. but it hangs while scanning the SCSI bus.

giving up for today...
barcher174

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikeboss: I see the same behavior in my '030 cube that you reported. It must be a SCSI controller issue.

--
Brian
mikeboss

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brian,

thank you for checking! since it's working with the CF AztecMonster, I guess that the SCSI2SD still has some issues… I'll wait for the next firmware update.

regards,
mike
barcher174

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news everyone! A new firmware was released and now I have an '030 cube booting from it. I still see those messages at startup, but everything seems to work. So we may finally have a cheap open source solution to our problem. The schematics are freely available, but I think his prices are very fair.

--
Brian
barcher174

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I exchanged an email with the designer ( Michael ) and it seems these "sc: MESSAGE REJECT RECEIVED " messages are likely do to the adapter not supporting synchronous transfers. He has offered to prepare a debug version with some logging ability so we can verify that to be the case. Otherwise I kept it running all this evening and had no issues.

--
Brian
mikeboss

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

barcher174 wrote:
Good news everyone! A new firmware was released and now I have an '030 cube booting from it. I still see those messages at startup, but everything seems to work. So we may finally have a cheap open source solution to our problem. The schematics are freely available, but I think his prices are very fair.

--
Brian

good news indeed! I'll try mine as soon as I have some spare time... thanks for the heads-up.
barcher174

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I tried with NS 1.0 and got this same error:

panic: (Cpu 0) scsi_cintr: bad sd_state

3.3 seems to have no trouble. Hopefully the debug firmware will shed some light on the situation. I'll update when I receive it.

--
Brian
gaspar

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian,
I want to order SCSI2SD adapter but I don't have a PC/Mac I can mess with in case it needs a firmware upgrade,etc.

Would you say this adapter (as-is) is ready for prime time?
My HDD is starting to make noise (more than the usual loud noises) and I'm looking to get a cheap-ish adapter so I can run NS 3.3..

Thanks!
Gaspar
deltosfleet

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:04 am    Post subject: SCSI2SD HowTo for NeXT Computers Reply with quote

I've acquired a couple of the SCSI2SD cards and have had no problems configuring them for the Apple Macintosh systems I have collected (e.g. Power Macintosh 7100, Iici), but I'm getting the same errors as others on my three NeXT systems (e.g. "sc: MESSAGE REJECT RECEIVED").

If anyone has actually made this card work as a functioning SCSI-1 or SCSI-2 drive on their NeXT, could you PLEASE post the steps you took (and leave no step un-listed, starting with scsi2sd-config(1) the card)? You will be a hero if you do.

Thanks in advance!

PS. I have the v3.0 card. Does anyone have experience with the newer hardware design on NeXT?
barcher174

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news. With the lastest firmware I have an 030 cube booting from the scsi2sd adapter.

http://www.codesrc.com/files/scsi2sd/v3.5.2/firmware/

--
Brian
Andreas

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

barcher174 wrote:
Good news. With the lastest firmware I have an 030 cube booting from the scsi2sd adapter.

http://www.codesrc.com/files/scsi2sd/v3.5.2/firmware/

--
Brian

How does it perform in NeXT against a native SCSI drive?
pitz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

barcher174 wrote:

Thanks for testing this out with black hardware. I've had good experiences with the scsi2sd adapters on my other platforms (Apple IIgs, Macs) and have even provided feedback to the dev for the next release of the 2.5" adapter. Indeed, the earlier firmware versions also did not work with my other platforms, but started to work with firmware v3.

I've not tested the speed, but I probably wouldn't mind if it doesn't even provide a gain in speed. The convenience of being able to take the microSD in and out, mount it in other environments, backing it up, availability of microSDs compared to SCSI -- those alone are well worth the price of the scsi2sd adapter. And better than the combination of Acard SCSI-IDE plus IDE-CF/SD adapters.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> New Technology All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: