NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Darwin?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
itomato

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 6:00 pm    Post subject: Darwin? Reply with quote

The state of Darwin as a usable, installable distribution is in a perilous state.

Apple's source access is stuck in the pre-Git world, and will presumably remain there.

The websites for "Distributions" have withered into decay.

Is it even possible to bootstrap and build Darwin from a Darwin system? I'm not running any Apple-branded hardware with anything better than a G3, and it's probably gonna stay that way.

OpenDarwin is long dead, the GNU/Darwin Distribution decayed, having succumbed to click spam, the mirrors gone, and Apple's official release stuck at 8.0.1.

I feel compelled to shelve some of the pieces, but I'm not real clear on where things left off, what's worth preserving, and if there's really any point at all. With the ability to build shlibs, and a modern toolkit, it seems possible to perform a more extensive upgrade to Openstep than was possible ten years ago.

I guess I'm looking to be convinced that Darwin should fall off this cliff, unable to survive and adapt as an "Open Source" product, while tied so closely to Apple, Inc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> White Hardware All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: