NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Openstep 4.2 Virtualbox on mini and Macbook Air success

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Emulation / Virtualization
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob Blessin Black Hole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:56 pm    Post subject: Openstep 4.2 Virtualbox on mini and Macbook Air success Reply with quote

Hello NeXT Community: Had fun today with a walkin customer Don Roth from Tennessee . We successfully installed Openstep 4.2 in Virtualbox on a Mac Mini Dual Core and a Macbook Air I 5 . Then went to New Belgium Brewery for the beer tour for a break lol and finished the installs successfully!

We set ram to 512K , partition to 2gb boot order floppy then hard drive then cdrom . Choose operating system other then dos or it hangs

I think the biggest challenge is the wonky popups on the Mac Book Air and tiny screen with the mouse capture window popping up .
Use .img for floppies Boot floppy then drivers floppy choose 8 then 3rd custom beta drivers floppy using the 4.03 Dual Channel eide driver for cdrom and hard drive.

should install the trick is toggling using the mouse to click the floppy icon and change the floppy driver .img's also make sure you have the 4.2 User.iso mounted clicking cd icon

follow instructions , once openstep users installed choose default vga for display temporarily .
set the password for the me account . logout then login as root ,

mount your y2.kpatch iso you should see it appear in the openstep fileviewer , install the user y2k patch , this also installs the vesa driver in configure.app!

logout and reboot at the NeXT> after it checks ram type in exactly "VBE Check" = Yes and press enter , log in go into configure.app and change the default vga monitor driver for the vesa driver and choose your resolution and refresh save it , logout reboot and bam color openstep on Virtualbox

Still tinkering with networking but it finds the amd ethernet driver .... look to other threads as they describe successful networking !

Would recommend a cold beer at some point as it is an exercise in patience and will challenge your dexterity and mental faculties but I'm happy to say I now have a Mac Mini running Mavericks with successful installs of Openstep 4.2 in Parallels as well as VMWARE and the latest version of Virtualbox ! Have a great day now catching up on other orders !

Shocked
eagle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, funny, I just installed OPENSTEP 4.2 last night, in VMware Fusion 6 on my Mavericks-running iMac.

I installed the display driver, mouse driver, and vmxnet driver. The SB16 driver crashes the VM, so you can't use that. VMware tools (for time sync) works too.

Tonight I'm going to try reinstalling Rhapsody DR1 and DR2. My NeXTSTEP 3.3 VM is still fine, but my Rhapsody ones are not working again.
All mono
nuss

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rob,

networking is working fine in older versions of VirtualBox. I use 4.1.12.

Newer versions of VirtualBox (starting with 4.1.14?) have broken the networking for OpenStep.
This issue persists for quite some time now and unfortunatly it seems not important enough to be fixed:

https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/10545

Cheers, Nuss
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Emulation / Virtualization All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: