NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
SCSI2SD now working without issues
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
barcher174

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:38 pm    Post subject: SCSI2SD now working without issues Reply with quote

All,

With the most recent firmware update the scsi2sd adapter now works perfectly in a cube. No error messages during startup. I have tested with Nextstep 3.3 and 1.0 with no issues.

Firmware available here:
http://www.codesrc.com/files/scsi2sd/v3.6-RC1/firmware/

General information here:
http://www.codesrc.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=SCSI2SD

This is currently the most economical way of replacing a failing disk with something more reliable. My only complaint is the board layout does not have screw holes in the proper positions for easy mounting.

--
Brian
Stefano

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info!

I'm planning ($) buy 2 of these SCSI2SD, one for my NeXTstation other for my Mac Plus.
I'll mod the Mac Plus to include an internal disk.
barcher174

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone posted a nice 3D printable drive tray for standard 3.5" here:

https://mac68k.info/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=291

--
Brian
Andreas

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: SCSI2SD now working without issues Reply with quote

barcher174 wrote:

With the most recent firmware update the scsi2sd adapter now works perfectly in a cube. No error messages during startup. I have tested with Nextstep 3.3 and 1.0 with no issues.

If the Adapter was received with the proper firmware, do i need the assistance of Windows or OSX to configure the SD-card or can i put the whole thing into the NeXT and initialize it in the black box? (creating disktab entry and so on)
barcher174

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just used the images that mikeboss collected and put them on the sd card from my Mac. I used the --apple flag when configuring the firmware. I think at the least you'll need to have a separate pc to set the initial config. There is also a Linux port of the tool if that is a concern.
Andreas

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

barcher174 wrote:
I think at the least you'll need to have a separate pc to set the initial config. There is also a Linux port of the tool if that is a concern.

the main problem would be that i haven't any "PC" with SCSI anymore, so maybe i had to dig out an old Macintosh. But i have seen that the Adapter isn't available anymore.
(Products marked with *** are not available in the desired quantity or not in stock!)
pitz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andreas wrote:
barcher174 wrote:
I think at the least you'll need to have a separate pc to set the initial config. There is also a Linux port of the tool if that is a concern.

the main problem would be that i haven't any "PC" with SCSI anymore, so maybe i had to dig out an old Macintosh. But i have seen that the Adapter isn't available anymore.
(Products marked with *** are not available in the desired quantity or not in stock!)

The SCSI2SD is configured through a regular USB cable with a PC. Aside from NeXT machines, I also use them with other retro PCs and it's been a great replacement for SCSI drives.
Andreas

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pitz wrote:

The SCSI2SD is configured through a regular USB cable with a PC. Aside from NeXT machines, I also use them with other retro PCs and it's been a great replacement for SCSI drives.

Ah, Thanx, so i don't need an old Adaptec 2940 to configure
barcher174

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't tested it yet, but there is a new firmware out this month that adds support for 4 virtual devices.
igor_av

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. I just received a scsi2sd board with the 4.00 firmware. I installed a generic 8 gb microsd card. When connected to my nextstation, I get a "Can't determine drive capacity" error during boot. Afterwards, I'm invited to initialize the disk, but capacity is said to be 0 Kb.

Should I edit disktab? Is there any other solution?

Thanks.
Mominul

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe you need 3x firmware Confused
barcher174

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

igor_av wrote:
Hi. I just received a scsi2sd board with the 4.00 firmware. I installed a generic 8 gb microsd card. When connected to my nextstation, I get a "Can't determine drive capacity" error during boot. Afterwards, I'm invited to initialize the disk, but capacity is said to be 0 Kb.

Should I edit disktab? Is there any other solution?

Thanks.

If you want disks larger than 2GB you will need to edit the disktab. Otherwise create 4 separate 2GB disks. If you still have problems try changing the drive manufacturer and model to be a contemporary drive type.

--
Brian
igor_av

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you want disks larger than 2GB you will need to edit the disktab. Otherwise create 4 separate 2GB disks. If you still have problems try changing the drive manufacturer and model to be a contemporary drive type.

Thanks for your suggestions. I made 1GB and 2GB virtual disks, none works. I also changed the manufacturer and model to fit with the internal drive. I get the same complaints : "ERROR : Can't read device capacity
DISK UNFORMATTED"

In another post, I think someone mentioned the --apple flag. It is not an option with the new GUI configuration tool.

I tried mounting the scsi2sd in an old G3 Powermac running Mac OS 9.2. The drive appears has unsupported in Drive Setup.

Now, I'm trying to format the 1GB virtual drive using FWB Hard Disk Toolkit. The operation has been running for 30 minutes so far. The estimated completion time was 1 minute.

Finally, I don't think I can install a 3.x firmware on the new board.
barcher174

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try the new firmware this weekend and let you know what i find.
igor_av

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

igor_av wrote:
Quote:

Thanks for your suggestions. I made 1GB and 2GB virtual disks, none works. I also changed the manufacturer and model to fit with the internal drive. I get the same complaints : "ERROR : Can't read device capacity
DISK UNFORMATTED"

In another post, I think someone mentioned the --apple flag. It is not an option with the new GUI configuration tool.

I tried mounting the scsi2sd in an old G3 Powermac running Mac OS 9.2. The drive appears has unsupported in Drive Setup.

Now, I'm trying to format the 1GB virtual drive using FWB Hard Disk Toolkit. The operation has been running for 30 minutes so far. The estimated completion time was 1 minute.

Finally, I don't think I can install a 3.x firmware on the new board.

A quick follow-up.

I've been in touch with the developper, Michael. He mentioned that there was a compatibility issue with some cards using a Samsung controller. He sent me a beta version of the firmware. It didn't work. I tried two other sd cards, from Kingston and Sandisk (both are 16gb, but the scsi2sd is configured to treat them as 2 gb disks), but still, NS reports that it is unable to determine the drive's capacity.

Michael also sent me a different version of the flashing utility, to monitor the activity, but I haven't been able to use is so far (some dependencies are broken on the linux version I use).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> New Technology All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: