nekonoko wrote:
Hello!

I just updated a scsi2sd to firmware 4.5 on a Mac today. Here's what I did:

Download scsi2sd-util:

http://www.codesrc.com/files/scsi2sd/latest/mac/scsi2sd-util

This is the file you need to set the execute bit on in the terminal via:

"chmod a+x scsi2sd-util"

Next, you need the 4.5 firmware file. Download:

http://www.codesrc.com/files/scsi2sd/latest/firmware/firmware_bundle-v4.5.00.scsi2sd

Once the execute bit has been set on "scsi2sd-util", just double click it to launch.

From the "File" menu, choose "Upgrade Firmware". Point to the "firmware_bundle-v4.5.00.scsi2sd" file you downloaded earlier. It will then update the firmware.

I'm sure there would be a lot less confusing if they offered a zipped version of the executables so the file attributes are preserved. Not sure why they thought it best to offer raw binaries like that.

Awesome many thanks that worked !
bobo68

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nekonoko wrote:

I'm sure there would be a lot less confusing if they offered a zipped version of the executables so the file attributes are preserved. Not sure why they thought it best to offer raw binaries like that.

"They" is just Michael McMaster. I'm sure he will listen to your feedback if you drop him an email.
barcher174

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobo68 wrote:

"They" is just Michael McMaster. I'm sure he will listen to your feedback if you drop him an email.

I can confirm. He's a super cool guy and has sent me custom firmware on request before we had the ability to adjust the cylinder count.
nekonoko

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just figured there's some reason for doing it that way, I just don't happen to know what it is.
Rob Blessin Black Hole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

barcher174 wrote:
bobo68 wrote:

I can confirm. He's a super cool guy and has sent me custom firmware on request before we had the ability to adjust the cylinder count.

Hello NeXT Community: I'm having fun learning all this stuff , if i sound like I'm bitching about it I'm not a few Thomas Edison quotes:

Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.
&
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.
& my favorite :
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

.... so I'm going to contact Mike McMaster , this should be kind of fun kind of like the NeXT rebel's in Starwars breathing new life into the aging NeXT fleet.

I think a few tweaks here and there and it'll make this go a heck of a lot easier like perhaps config templates you just copy and paste in to get the sd cards to easily initialize on NeXT boxes for custom installs and actual scsisd2 util apps that launch verse having to use terminal commands in MAC OSX .

I'm still trying to figure out how scsi2sd util software using (figured out the firmware update part thanks for the help nekonoko).
So now with Firmware Version 4.5 , how do I use a custom config file as the scsisd util software appears to have changed to save a config file from earlier versions to have it look at my config file in Mac OSX , I did have success in Windows 10 copying and saving the config file from Slateblue and I think it was firmware version 4.4.

Does it have to be an xml config file in OSX for it to in theory work to copy my experimental templates? Or should a flash it back to the earlier scsisd2 util software version version that had the save config file feature. Or is it just a matter of tricking it to boot by spoofing drive parameters ..... has anyone successfully created a 9gb NeXT image on a 16gb Microsd card to work with the scsisd2 card ?

I'll proactively working on this so I may wind up answering my own questions but always appreciate any time savers in the reality distortion field!

It looks like it is maxed at 4gb but I'll ask him about the possibility of a 9gb image basically a 2gb smaller partition with ~ 4 * 1.5 gb partitions as it'll be fun to make a super ISO with either NeXTSTEP 3.3 User, dev and y2k or openstep 4.2 user, developer and Y2k patches with a kind of best of apps from all the cd's , I'm thinking it would need to be on a 16Gb micro sd .

Any help on this appreciated , I have unique permission from Apple legal and procured rights of reproduction and distribution to a lot of the original NeXT 3rd party cd's and developers to do this , we also have some really nice 3rd party software that was released free aka lighthouse apps . The thought is it will double the apps I currently have on my 4gb's and is a really nice solution taking these NeXT's into the future. I have probably 1000 scsi hard drives here at least in various states from completely doa to pristine but I like the scsisd2 as a better alternative solution moving forward.
It'll help keep the lights on at Black hole , keeps me reinvesting in the NeXT community and as usual will be a great turnkey deal for all!

Last edited by Rob Blessin Black Hole on Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:19 am; edited 1 time in total
nekonoko

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're further along than I am Smile

Right now I'm weighing options on how best to clone/copy my existing spinning platter NeXT drives to SD. I don't have a machine with PCI slots at the moment for use with add-on SCSI cards (just PCIe slots around here), so am planning to research some other connection options (USB/Firewire to SCSI perhaps?). Or maybe it would be better to just ship my drives to someone who does have the proper machine/cards at hand to do a 'dd' to a SD card.

Also thinking about doing a bare-metal install from CD-ROM, but will need to find an external SCSI CD-ROM someplace. I might have one in storage, not sure.
Rob Blessin Black Hole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nekonoko wrote:
You're further along than I am Smile

Right now I'm weighing options on how best to clone/copy my existing spinning platter NeXT drives to SD. I don't have a machine with PCI slots at the moment for use with add-on SCSI cards (just PCIe slots around here), so am planning to research some other connection options (USB/Firewire to SCSI perhaps?). Or maybe it would be better to just ship my drives to someone who does have the proper machine/cards at hand to do a 'dd' to a SD card.

Also thinking about doing a bare-metal install from CD-ROM, but will need to find an external SCSI CD-ROM someplace. I might have one in storage, not sure.

I'm thinking of offering a clone or recovery service to sd for existing drives and even for damaged drives as I have good friends here in town that have a clean room and a lot of really nice hardware to accomplish this but it can be spendy using them depending on the state of the drives as it isn't easy for the more critical cases.....

I have some used scsi cdrom external drives for sale as well or I often use a slab with internal power splitter and multiple connector scsi cable to do some installs , I've even used NeXT's network install feature .... it actually says excuse me while I kiss the sky then installs on multiple networked NeXT boxes and yes I have older NeXT compatible intel hardware with pci slots , scsi controllers , next compatible etc or use the tools on the freeware hyrens cd and an adaptec controller in an old dell box and boot from hyrens on an eide cdrom drive in the dell, it is tricky to figure out but works.
I would have to figure out a fair flat rate for the service for both, I've done this in the past but with this new solution we don't actually need to find an identical drive , we just configure scsisd2 to trick the adaptec , hyrens , NeXT or other operating systems into thinking drive A the original is a clone match to drive B in software totally cool and I'm starting to see the forest through the trees.
nekonoko

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh that's a good point - NeXTSTEP has 'dd' as well. I could probably just hang the scsi2sd off the external SCSI port and clone the internal drive that way.

Just curious, do you have any NeXT badged external CD-ROM drives for sale?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> New Technology All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: