NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Anyone Still Using OS2 Boot Manager?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
redsun

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:59 pm    Post subject: Anyone Still Using OS2 Boot Manager? Reply with quote

I used to have the OS2 boot manager to mange the multi boots. That was Windows 95 days. Does it also work with Windows 8 and OPENSTEP?
Rob Blessin Black Hole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone Still Using OS2 Boot Manager? Reply with quote

redsun wrote:
I used to have the OS2 boot manager to mange the multi boots. That was Windows 95 days. Does it also work with Windows 8 and OPENSTEP?

I know it'll handle up to 4 operating systems as I did a system with open step, windows XP, Linux red hat and beos . I have not tried it with Windows 7 or 8 but I seem to recall having to install everything in a specific order and having to toggle partitions in FDisk , I think the Openstep partition had to be the primary boot partition . Other considerations were the size of the hard drive and having to write disk tab entries. Usually a 9 gb drive with ~2gb partitions is safe but going above that it initially will install but on a hard shut down everything goes haywire. I know some of the guys have 36 gb drives using Openstep writing disk tab entries for 4 gb partitions but I'm not sure how that would play into a multi operating system installation. They never thought drives would be above 2gb when they wrote the original kernal which causes the chaos as the operating system doesn't understand larger disk drive geometries . you see examples of this when using build disk and hook up a second disk and it'll list it as 0 bytes then it tries to initialize it as a swap file disk. There is a way to run custombuildisk from terminal app instead of launching build disk app which over rides build disk but I lost my raw doc on it. If someone has the custombuilddisk procedure let me know and I'll upload to the archive . Best regards Rob Blessin
pentium

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run it on my model 95 PS/2 to switch between PC-DOS/Windows 3.11 and Warp 3.

-NeXT 68040 Cube with NS 3.3 and 64Mb ram
redsun

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pentium wrote:
I run it on my model 95 PS/2 to switch between PC-DOS/Windows 3.11 and Warp 3.

I looked at my note, which was dated 1997. That was OPENSTEP/OS2/Win95 triple boots. All the NeXT and FAT partitions were less than 1GB.

I just tried it now with WinXP and I have not figured it out yet. After I installed WinXP, it installed NT loader and I can't add WinXP onto OS2 boot manager. I can use FDISK to toggle active to boot manager, OS or WinXP. But I can't get boot manager to manage both OS4.2 and WinXP. I'll have to dig more into WinXP boot manager.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> White Hardware All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: