NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Fixing cube power supply

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomaz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:08 am    Post subject: Fixing cube power supply Reply with quote

I disassembled a cube power supply (AAB.... P/N 983) to clean it.

When opening it up, I noticed that there was thermal paste between the top and the bottom parts of the power supply enclosure.

I therefore cleaned off the existing paste and applied new Arctic Silver 5 paste to the two parts. This paste is meant for CPUs but I figure if it is good enough to provide a thermal interface between a CPU and a heat sink, it will be more than good enough for this power supply.

The instructions for applying this paste to CPUs say clean up the CPU & the heat sink, "tint" the heat sink and the CPU with the paste (i.e. spread a thin layer of paste to both), then apply a line of paste to the tinted CPU and press the two together. Since the surface area here is much larger that in the case of a CPU, I had just enough paste to "tint" both parts, and then I ran out.

Questions:

- has anyone ever tried to re-apply thermal paste to this power supply?
- do you anticipate any issues with this particular paste?
- or with the fact that I only applied a layer of paste to both surfaces, without a further line of paste?
- how do I sensibly test if the paste is effective and that the supply is not overheating / is not going to overheat?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
barcher174

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you'll be fine. That arctic silver is going to be -way- better than the stuff they used originally. Further if you're like most of us you're probably only utilizing < 50% of the max load on that power supply. As I recall the top case screws directly into the heatsink, and you'll only need enough paste to fill any micro air gaps.

I used arctic silver on mine and it's been fine for over a year. I would say I spread a layer ~1mm thick.

--
Brian
pentium

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just use a tube of dielectric grease and when I bolt the part down any excess is forced out. Arctic silver is WAY too expensive for me to be using on items other then CPU's or GPU's.

-NeXT 68040 Cube with NS 3.3 and 64Mb ram
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> NeXT Work Logs All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: