NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Sound Blaster 16 PCI: Can't Control Sound Volume

View previous topic :: View next topic  
redsun

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:27 am    Post subject: Sound Blaster 16 PCI: Can't Control Sound Volume Reply with quote

I just installed this card and the driver works fine. Thx for the nice work.

Somehow I can't control the sound volume. I've set my speaker volume to the lowest, but the sound is still very loud. If I turn the sound volume knob up, sound is louder. So I know the speaker volume control works.

Is there anyway I can change the sound volume inside the driver? I think the sounder from the PC is just too loud.
Morgon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Sound Blaster 16 PCI: Can't Control Sound Volume Reply with quote

redsun wrote:
I just installed this card and the driver works fine. Thx for the nice work.

Somehow I can't control the sound volume. I've set my speaker volume to the lowest, but the sound is still very loud. If I turn the sound volume knob up, sound is louder. So I know the speaker volume control works.

Is there anyway I can change the sound volume inside the driver? I think the sounder from the PC is just too loud.

Hello redsun,

that's a strange thing. Initially I wrote the driver for a real SB16PCI and never had problems with the sound being too loud. Therefore I can give no definite advise how to tweak the driver.

You might have a look at -updateOutputAttenuation in SoundBlaster16PCIDriver.m as that is the method used to get the current settings from the NeXT-System and set it to the driver part in es1371.m As the NeXT attenuation ranges from 0 to -84 while the driver expects values from 0 to 63 a conversion is been done. Maybe you can try a different conversion approach to get better results.

Hope this will help you a bit.

Morgon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> White Hardware All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: