NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Openstep 4.2 on Toshiba Satellite 4090XCDT

View previous topic :: View next topic  
galgot

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:42 am    Post subject: Openstep 4.2 on Toshiba Satellite 4090XCDT Reply with quote

Hi,
As the title says I installed Openstep 4.2 on a Satellite 4090XCDT. I've checked about video drivers compatibility and only found this :
http://markmail.org/message/kexmbg3lvmn5l5iu

Note it says there "490XCDT", not 4090XCDT, don't know if it is a typo… or a different model. Anyway , I've tried the Diamond Stealth ViRGE driver and adding "0x8c015333" to the AutoDetect ID in expert mode , but it doesn't work. Stays in 640x480 greyscale.

Question is , should my Device ID be different on my model, and how to find it ?
Any ideas ?

Thanks.
Morgon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Openstep 4.2 on Toshiba Satellite 4090XCDT Reply with quote

galgot wrote:

Anyway , I've tried the Diamond Stealth ViRGE driver and adding "0x8c015333" to the AutoDetect ID in expert mode , but it doesn't work. Stays in 640x480 greyscale.

Question is , should my Device ID be different on my model, and how to find it ?

Sometimes just changing the AutodetectID in the configuration table is not enough. Some drivers do additional tests on the DeviceIDs when loading and you won't be able to tweak these as easily.
galgot

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see, Thanks Morgon.
But was wondering, is a device ID specifiic to a video card model ? Or is it different for every computer with the same vid card model ?
In that case do you know how to find the Device ID ?
Don't know if that can change anything, but anyway...
Morgon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

galgot wrote:
I see, Thanks Morgon.
But was wondering, is a device ID specifiic to a video card model ? Or is it different for every computer with the same vid card model ?

PCI IDs are listed by the NeXT on startup when you switch off the graphic boot screen (type a space and return at the boot prompt "boot:"). You can also look them up in "usr/adm/messages". The only problem is to find out which ID belongs to which device.
Rob Blessin Black Hole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morgon wrote:
galgot wrote:
I see, Thanks Morgon.

PCI IDs are listed by the NeXT on startup when you switch off the graphic boot screen (type a space and return at the boot prompt "boot:"). You can also look them up in "usr/adm/messages". The only problem is to find out which ID belongs to which device.

You might want to try the little known but very cool Openstep 4.2 VESA driver , it installs with the Y2K patch! https://support.apple.com/kb/TA45370?locale=en_US&viewlocale=en_US
Best regards Rob Blessin
galgot

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot both !
Will check that .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> White Hardware All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: