NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Pulled the trigger on a turbo cube

View previous topic :: View next topic  
barcher174

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:51 pm    Post subject: Pulled the trigger on a turbo cube Reply with quote

I had a rather expensive impulse buy the other day...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/381210800580?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Other than the logo being crap, everything else is in OK shape. Replaced the caps first thing tonight for good measure. I probably should start thinning the herd now at some point, but I just couldn't pass this one up.

--
Brian
Rob Blessin Black Hole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: Pulled the trigger on a turbo cube Reply with quote

barcher174 wrote:
I had a rather expensive impulse buy the other day...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/381210800580?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Other than the logo being crap, everything else is in OK shape. Replaced the caps first thing tonight for good measure. I probably should start thinning the herd now at some point, but I just couldn't pass this one up.

--
Brian

Thats a good deal on a Turbo Cube
snuci

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Brian. I saw that one as well and didn't know you were looking.

You mentioned there were only 300 or so Turbo Cubes. If so, it must be pretty odd that two came up for sale within a month on eBay?

I am very happy with mine and just last night got my NeXTstation Turbo Color going. Seems the NeXTstation is a little quicker though. Is there a benchmark test for NeXT computers?
mikeboss

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CPU bound tasks should show identical speed. the GUI and graphics might be faster on the slab because it runs less colors. here's a link to NXbench ->

http://www.nextcomputers.org/NeXTfiles/Software/NEXTSTEP/Apps/Benchmarks/nxbench.2.0.NI.b.tar.gz
barcher174

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

snuci wrote:
Congrats Brian. I saw that one as well and didn't know you were looking.

You mentioned there were only 300 or so Turbo Cubes. If so, it must be pretty odd that two came up for sale within a month on eBay?

I am very happy with mine and just last night got my NeXTstation Turbo Color going. Seems the NeXTstation is a little quicker though. Is there a benchmark test for NeXT computers?

It's incredibly odd that 2 turbos would show up on ebay in one month. Neither of them labeled. There's only been 1 other listed in the past 3 years that I know of. There are several factors that can affect the speed. As mikeboss said, the station displays less colors. More likely is probably the speed/amount of memory or the access time on the installed HDD. I highly recommend an SSD for these.

--
Brian
snuci

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ordered some memory on eBay for the both of them. I'll also beef up the Dimension board and then try to run some speed tests.

I do have more tests on start up on the Cube since I was having log in issues so it might be just that where I perceive it to be slower.

Anyway, good luck on your recap.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: