NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
How to create Custom Login Window n Screen Saver help please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> NEXTSTEP / OPENSTEP Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob Blessin Black Hole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 12:41 am    Post subject: How to create Custom Login Window n Screen Saver help please Reply with quote

Hello NeXT Community: Over the years I have seen many cool login screens as well as custom screen savers for the NeXTSTEP and openstep operating systems.

Some of you may shed light on what programs you recommend that make it easy.

Also if you system won't shut off and powers back up automatically, here is how to disable or enable that feature in preferences (double click calender icon on dock to launch and scroll right to login screen icon) power up ? uncheck button to keep it from autostarting backup.

Also all of the documentation can be installed from the NeXTStep or Openstep User Cd's and if it is currently installed you will find it under NeXTLibrary/bookshelves sysadmin as well as man pages!

Here is how you do it:

Customizing Login and Logout

Once the operating system has started up, loginwindow is run. The loginwindow program is the login front end for the console of the NEXTSTEP environment. It allows the user to log in by entering a user name and password. Before executing the Workspace Manager program, loginwindow reads the user parameters (including those specified with the Preferences application) from various sources. These parameters are put into effect for the duration of the user's login session. It then executes the Workspace Manager as that user.

If there's an account for the default user, me, and that account has no password, then the loginwindow program doesn't go through the login procedure; it immediately executes the Workspace Manager for me. You can change the name of the default user by typing the following in a shell as the superuser (root):

dwrite loginwindow DefaultName name

Replace name with the name you want for the default user.

You can use the Preferences application to set a number of security options for logging in and out and for turning off the computer. The Login Window Preferences are only available when you're logged in as the root.

All the Login Window Preferences take effect after you restart the loginwindow program, which happens when you restart the Window Server (by typing exit in the login window's Name field and pressing Return twice) or when you restart the computer.

Best regards Rob Blessin
tomaz

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: How to create Custom Login Window n Screen Saver help pl Reply with quote

What's the difference between
Code:
dwrite loginwindow DefaultUser <user-name>
and
Code:
dwrite loginwindow DefaultName <name>
?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rob Blessin Black Hole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: How to create Custom Login Window n Screen Saver help pl Reply with quote

tomaz wrote:
What's the difference between
Code:
dwrite loginwindow DefaultUser <user-name>
and
Code:
dwrite loginwindow DefaultName <name>
?

Tomaz, I know you know most of this but we have quite a few newby's it'll help!

I think the difference is by default NeXTSTEP/Openstep has 2 accounts built in by default .... when you do a fresh install , you choose your language and keyboard layout then you need to set a password for the me account first to have a login screen appear.
To do this you go into preferences by doubleclicking the calender icon to launch preferences.
Look for the padlock icon set the me account password, now when you logout a login screen will appear.
The login screen allows you to login as root with no password or me with the password you set .

You can now easily set the root account password the same way you set it for me, you will want to do this before setting up any networking using simple network starter or TJL's cable modem configuration page else things will go absolutely haywire in netinfo with no password set for root!

You can also now install the Y2k patches under root.

It is best to be serious under root and play under me or user, always install applications under root or issues will happen when launching them like apps bombing , an example if you install an app under me like wordperfect then try and launch it under root or any other name it'll bomb. So always install apps under root

So the difference between name is probably no networking and standalone with no additional custom users just the default me and root . However when you use user manager to set up additional user login accounts I'm guessing that is where user-name would come into play = any custom name that is not user (I have not tried just user but will) , me or root . Best Regards Rob Blessin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> NEXTSTEP / OPENSTEP Software All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: