NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
My little Mac projects...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jenne

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:28 am    Post subject: My little Mac projects... Reply with quote

Hello from Switzerland.

I am working on several projects in my spare time, some of them still in progress, some of them finished, some of them close to finishing. Maybe You are interested in some pages I made - but be aware that all of them are written in german. Maybe I'm going to translate them one day...

First is my Macintosh Plus Webserver: http://macplusserver.dyndns.org as a little hommage to the Aurejac server in France. Mine is runnig off a harddisk, anyway.

Second is my little documentation about Apple's PowerCD drive: http://www.blackmac.ch/powercd/

Third is my little collection of QuickTime VR panoramas taken around several places here in Switzerland: http://www.blackmac.ch/panos/

Next projects will be: a Newton 2100 webserver, a Quadra 700 with A/UX webserver, a NeXTcube webserver and several documentation pages on other Apple hardware.

Have fun! And please don't be bothered by the german sentences, it's just time what I'm missing ;-)

J
Nightengale

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The QuickTime VR's are gorgeous! THanks for sharing Very Happy
brams

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:35 am    Post subject: Re: My little Mac projects... Reply with quote

Jenne wrote:
a Newton 2100 webserver, a Quadra 700 with A/UX webserver

Wow, MP 2100 webserver, good luck with the uptime, mine needs a hard reset every couple of weeks ;-)

Quadra 700, that's the same case as the IIci, love that form factor, I once considered making an FTP server out of a IIci but never got round to it.
tenzin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: PowerCD Reply with quote

Jenne,

It's beautiful to see your page on the PowerCD. This is on my list of things to find, as well as the Maxxboxx Fotostation 960/800MP.

I have an Apple PowerPC 5500/275 Black, one day I'll get a real NeXT Turbo Dimension Cube when I'm done collecting things inspired by it Smile
brams

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: PowerCD Reply with quote

tenzin wrote:
Jenne,

It's beautiful to see your page on the PowerCD. This is on my list of things to find, as well as the Maxxboxx Fotostation 960/800MP.

I have an Apple PowerPC 5500/275 Black, one day I'll get a real NeXT Turbo Dimension Cube when I'm done collecting things inspired by it Smile

If you're into cube shaped computers, don't forget to collect a Pixar Image Computer.
blackcube

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: PowerCD Reply with quote

brams wrote:
tenzin wrote:
Jenne,

If you're into cube shaped computers, don't forget to collect a Pixar Image Computer.

I've been looking for a Maxxboxx 960MP for six years. I have three NeXT Cubes, a Mac G4 Cube and would also like a Pixar but they are extremely rare - like almost non-existant.
brams

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running out of room, so I'd like to keep on eye on new additions, but I'd still like a TAM, an Amiga 4000T and a Fujitsu FM Towns.
blackcube

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brams wrote:
I'm running out of room, so I'd like to keep on eye on new additions, but I'd still like a TAM, an Amiga 4000T and a Fujitsu FM Towns.

I was just talking about cube shaped computers, but if you want to open the gap:

My Wishlist

Lisa 2 or MacXL
TAM
Quicksilver
G4 MDD
iMac G4
iMac G5
iMac G3 DV SE Graphite
MaxxBoxx 960MP
any CHRP prototype
Sgi Personal Iris
Sgi Crimson Jurassic Classic Edition
Sgi Octane 2
Sgi O2+
Sgi Octane R14000 dual processor V12 graphics
Sgi VW540 (Quad Xeon)
iMac intel Duo
Mac Pro quad core
Several Sun boxes better than my Ultra 30
Powerbook G4
iBook G4
Powerbook G3 Pismo
Powerbook G3 Lombard

I'm sure the list could get longer.

Running out of room? Hell, get a bigger warehouse. I'm moving up from a 10x15 to 10x20 this weekend.
brams

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackcube wrote:
I was just talking about cube shaped computers, but if you want to open the gap:

My Wishlist

Lisa 2 or MacXL
TAM
Quicksilver
G4 MDD
iMac G4
iMac G5
iMac G3 DV SE Graphite
MaxxBoxx 960MP
any CHRP prototype
Sgi Personal Iris
Sgi Crimson Jurassic Classic Edition
Sgi Octane 2
Sgi O2+
Sgi Octane R14000 dual processor V12 graphics
Sgi VW540 (Quad Xeon)
iMac intel Duo
Mac Pro quad core
Several Sun boxes better than my Ultra 30
Powerbook G4
iBook G4
Powerbook G3 Pismo
Powerbook G3 Lombard

I'm sure the list could get longer.

Running out of room? Hell, get a bigger warehouse. I'm moving up from a 10x15 to 10x20 this weekend.

Haha yeah, lucky you! Wink, mine is not only a question of room but also of 3 kids and a wife as well, so not only is room an issue but so is money. I got most of what I ever wanted. I'd stilll like the A4000T and a Daystar Genesis MP+. I'd also like a SGI VW. I can't really think of anything else besides that, maybe a Wallstreet, and a CHRP would be nice. I think in my case it's necassary to draw the line somewhere as it/I can get out of control. I sold a NeXTstation Turbo Color/Fimi on eBay UK for 760 pounds in 2001 to a Mac collector.

He was apparently loaded as he collected the NeXT in person and he came in a Mercedes-Benz AMG CL55 then the car was brand new. So money was obviously not an issue, but that was over the top for a NeXT slab, I went and bought another one from the states for 300 bucks inc shipping.

Oh and maybe an Onyx deskside and a G4 cube and a Lisa and a.............

A Cray X-MP in blue & yellow would look really cool, though where I would put it and how to operate the thing would be another question entirely, it would look cool though, be a nice party/conversation piece.

You do have a very nice collection indeed though blackcube. Your website does make very entertaining reading.
blackcube

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brams wrote:

Haha yeah, lucky you! Wink, mine is not only a question of room but also of 3 kids and a wife as well, so not only is room an issue but so is money. I got most of what I ever wanted. I'd stilll like the A4000T and a Daystar Genesis MP+. I'd also like a SGI VW. I can't really think of anything else besides that, maybe a Wallstreet, and a CHRP would be nice. I think in my case it's necassary to draw the line somewhere as it/I can get out of control. I sold a NeXTstation Turbo Color/Fimi on eBay UK for 760 pounds in 2001 to a Mac collector.

He was apparently loaded as he collected the NeXT in person and he came in a Mercedes-Benz AMG CL55 then the car was brand new. So money was obviously not an issue, but that was over the top for a NeXT slab, I went and bought another one from the states for 300 bucks inc shipping.

Oh and maybe an Onyx deskside and a G4 cube and a Lisa and a.............

A Cray X-MP in blue & yellow would look really cool, though where I would put it and how to operate the thing would be another question entirely, it would look cool though, be a nice party/conversation piece.

You do have a very nice collection indeed though blackcube. Your website does make very entertaining reading.

Thanks, I have had fun doing what little I have so far. Now that we have finished moving into the new house, I plan to seriously get busy doing all those pictures. I want a Cray but Ronda drew the line after I brought in the full rack of O200's and Anadatco RAID cabinets. No more big iron was the verdict.

I also have three daughters, so I do have to watch my budget at times. I am a total scrounger and bargain buyer. Luckily, both my wife and I work and we operate a contract billing service as a second job, so I do get some disposable income from time to time.

The CL55 is a sweet ride. I drive a SLK320 and my wife drives a ML320 but they are getting older (both are 2001 models). We plan to replace her truck with a GL450 next spring as we need the third seating area.
brams

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've lost count of how many Macs I have, maybe about 20 plus I got a load of monitors as well. It was Macs that got me onto collecting though, I've had computers since about 1980 but I could never afford a Mac when the Mac II's where out, thus my first Mac was a Performa 5200/75 with TV card, after that I was hooked on Apple gear. I remember when 8 bits ruled the world, I wanted an Atari 800 and was looking at an Apple ][ and thought it was way cool, I ended up buying BBC Model B, which the Amercians amongst you have probably never heard of.

Big Iron rules! my friend has got an Onyx II deskside with IR graphics, it takes about 25 amps of current when he plays with it. We keep meaning to have a crack at Quake III with it. iirc I think it's quad R10K with about 8 or somthing Cheetahs in it.

Yeah, wifes tend to get in the way of hobbies somewhat, I'm still planning on buying a Ferrari 328 GTS one day or restoring something like an E-Type S1 (XKE) or an early 1970's 911 Carrera 2.7 but the wife spends all my money. I love American cars as well, I think the Dodge Challenger 440 R/T or 426 R/T Hemi is one of the coolest muscle cars on the planet along with the Plymouth Superbird, love to own something like that.

I was an MB Master Tech when I was a kid, from 1985 till 1994, since then I've been a Jaguar Master Tech (Jaguar Global Challenge International Technical Winner 2004) and also Master Bentley Tech, hence the reason why I work out in the Middle East. Though I'm more of a pencil pusher now Sad. Though Merc used to make the best cars in the world in the day and I used to admire the engineering quality & design, I think they've somehow lost the plot in recent years, compare the build of a W126 or W140 S-Class against a W220 and you'll see what I mean, I'd like them to return to former glories but not sure if they can. The new CLS is the most horrible car I've ever seen this side of a Maybach, I agree the old W215 CL was a wonderful looking car, in fact it was gorgeous, the new one (this years) is horrible as well.

What I'm trying to say is that, at one time Mercs where arguably the best engineered car in the world by a significant margin, now they are just ordinary. Thats a bit of a tradgedy as far as I'm concerned.

My 4 top Mercs are 1. Merc 300SLR from 1950's as used by Rudolf Uhlenhaut first car in the world with Desmodromic valves. 2. 300SL Gullwing 3. 190E 2.5-16 Evo II 4. 1991 560 SEC.

Das beste oder nichts - The best or nothing. Gottlieb Daimler 1886
Jenne

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again.

First of all lots of "Thank You very much!" for all Your replies, this keeps me hanging on in my little work! Just to let You know: there is a new category (alas, again in german) on BlackMac.ch. I was lucky to get my hands on a Apple Adjustable Keyboard (Swiss layout <- somewhat rather unusual, I suppose) and therefor the new homepage section is born.

There is another idea coming to my mind while thinking about my projects. I don't know exactly anymore where I read this but someone somewhere stated that there have only been about 50.000 NeXT-Hardware units, that have ever been made. As far as I know every unit had its special number. Just to figure out how many units -> worldwide <- did survive the digital evolution I thought about setting up some sort of "counter" where everybody interested in this can enter his or her model number, place of location and maybe a little picture of the dedicated NeXT-unit. What do You think about it? Would it be worth the work? In my opinion it would somewhat testify the value of any still existing unit in some way...

Once again thank You for Your feedback, it's the first "international" I got!

J
Nightengale

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jenne-if you build that website for NeXT registrations I will register. And.....Why did you guys have to tell me about that Pixar Computer?????!!!! Very Happy

http://www.flickr.com/photos/map/17691422/in/photostream/
Jenne

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nightengale wrote:
Why did you guys have to tell me about that Pixar Computer?????!!!! Very Happy

Exactly what I thought in the first seconds of reading!!!

Anyway, around here in Switzerland there is some sort of counter part to eBay (well, some sort of, because allmost nothing will be send to USA, only some to EU...).
When I moved to Switzerland I was very astonished what hardware can be found here at private collections, stores, auctions and other places. Seems to me that this country always has been very open to "strange" or "unusual" computers anyway. Maybe there is a chance of a pixar cube Very Happy
This is also the way I got in touch with my NeXTcube. A private collector offered this one along with keyboard, 17" screen, mouse and the original diskette drive at a very low starting bid - I won this treasure for about 70 US Dollar and got it working again. Alas, I'm still searching for the original (!) NeXT 3.3 installation software.
This cube had a very interesting past. As far as I was succesfull in this I found out that this cube was used within the main network administration and database usage of Switzerland's largest company "Migros", some sort of "Walmart" in the US. They bought quite a bunch of cubes and some stations shortly after Berners-Lee made his big one at that Swiss university. Very sad end of story: I was able to get in contact to some former administrators of Migros and asked them, if there is still some other hard- or software around their place. Comment on the phone: "You are three days to late, we have just trashed three stations and two more cubes.". Man...

J
brams

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a thread on the Pixar Image Computer here:

http://forums.nekochan.net/viewtopic.php?t=11281&highlight=

Jenne wrote:
This is also the way I got in touch with my NeXTcube. A private collector offered this one along with keyboard, 17" screen, mouse and the original diskette drive at a very low starting bid - I won this treasure for about 70 US Dollar and got it working again. Alas, I'm still searching for the original (!) NeXT 3.3 installation software.

Wow, you got a major good deal!!!!

Quote:
"You are three days to late, we have just trashed three stations and two more cubes.". Man...

They trashed them, oh my. I guess they never heard of online auctions and message forums.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Apple Hardware All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: