www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
My little Mac projects...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jenne

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brams wrote:
They trashed them, oh my. I guess they never heard of online auctions and message forums.

Most Swiss are somewhat very strange about what we would call treasures in this means. For example: there are lots of old BMW motorcycles around here and many of them are in a very (!) good condition. The Swiss do have the money to keep such old machines running, but they will never talk about the money Wink On the other hand they are very fond of "new" stuff (I remember the iPod wave: suddenly Zurich was flooded by new iPods in masses). In other words: they do have very deep relations to their cars and motorcycles (no matter of what age) and "gadgets", but they do not really have a relation to the stuff they work with. At least it appears to me this way.
For example: I got my Newton 2100 (with lots of addons) for about 40 US Dollars, the PowerCD for about 12 Dollars, the Quadra 700 (also searching for orginal A/UX software!) for 6 Dollars and the Macintosh Portable for about 28 Dollars (just the HD is broken and it misses at least 3 MB RAM I could really need...).
On the other hand the spend large amounts on stuff like new Intel PowerBooks and such - meaning they instantly sell their "old" books. Very strange sometimes.

J
brams

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jenne wrote:
I got my Newton 2100 (with lots of addons) for about 40 US Dollars, the PowerCD for about 12 Dollars, the Quadra 700 (also searching for orginal A/UX software!) for 6 Dollars and the Macintosh Portable for about 28 Dollars (just the HD is broken and it misses at least 3 MB RAM I could really need...).

On the other hand the spend large amounts on stuff like new Intel PowerBooks and such - meaning they instantly sell their "old" books. Very strange sometimes.

I paid about 100 bucks for my MP2100 but it was brand new & came with the charger (two in fact) 3 styluses, and the AA battery pack. I spent a bit on it as well, Flash card, Orinoco Gold card etc, USB serial dongle (NewtUSB) Love my Newt I do.

I have some AU/X & AU/X SW, gonna play with AU/X on my Quad 650 sometime.

Yeah I got a MacBook Pro, replaced an iBook G4 with it which in turn replaced a 667 TiBook I had. MacBook Pro is an awesome laptop, my 2nd fave after the Pismo.
tenzin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: PowerCD Reply with quote

brams wrote:
tenzin wrote:
Jenne,

It's beautiful to see your page on the PowerCD. This is on my list of things to find, as well as the Maxxboxx Fotostation 960/800MP.

I have an Apple PowerPC 5500/275 Black, one day I'll get a real NeXT Turbo Dimension Cube when I'm done collecting things inspired by it Smile

If you're into cube shaped computers, don't forget to collect a Pixar Image Computer.

Yes, you're right, I can't omit that, particularly since medical and molecular imaging has been part of my work since the time it was designed. I'd forgotten all about those.

Thanks for reminding me.
tenzin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: PowerCD Reply with quote

blackcube wrote:
brams wrote:
tenzin wrote:
Jenne,

It's beautiful to see your page on the PowerCD. This is on my list of things to find, as well as the Maxxboxx Fotostation 960/800MP.

I have an Apple PowerPC 5500/275 Black, one day I'll get a real NeXT Turbo Dimension Cube when I'm done collecting things inspired by it Smile

If you're into cube shaped computers, don't forget to collect a Pixar Image Computer.

I've been looking for a Maxxboxx 960MP for six years. I have three NeXT Cubes, a Mac G4 Cube and would also like a Pixar but they are extremely rare - like almost non-existant.

Yes, I remember seeing you mention searching for this on bebox.nu forums. If I find a secret bunker full of them, I'll let you know Smile
tenzin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: Cubic, Black or Rare Reply with quote

It seems I should be more responsible when mentioning rare black or cubic things.

Or not ... Wink Bell and Howell Apple II Plus A2S1032B

Tenzin
tenzin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject: NeXT map Reply with quote

Jenne wrote:
Hello again.

First of all lots of "Thank You very much!" for all Your replies, this keeps me hanging on in my little work! Just to let You know: there is a new category (alas, again in german) on BlackMac.ch. I was lucky to get my hands on a Apple Adjustable Keyboard (Swiss layout <- somewhat rather unusual, I suppose) and therefor the new homepage section is born.

There is another idea coming to my mind while thinking about my projects. I don't know exactly anymore where I read this but someone somewhere stated that there have only been about 50.000 NeXT-Hardware units, that have ever been made. As far as I know every unit had its special number. Just to figure out how many units -> worldwide <- did survive the digital evolution I thought about setting up some sort of "counter" where everybody interested in this can enter his or her model number, place of location and maybe a little picture of the dedicated NeXT-unit. What do You think about it? Would it be worth the work? In my opinion it would somewhat testify the value of any still existing unit in some way...

Once again thank You for Your feedback, it's the first "international" I got!

J

Jenne, about ten months ago I set up a map on Frappr for users of BeOS, and it's associated chat/distributed file server, Beshare/MUSCLE, to join, where this map shows their locations worldwide using Google's Map API. This might be the best way for what you have in mind, then people can upload pics of themselves, their NeXT's and serial numbers, and so on.

The one I set up is here, Beshare. Some 200 hundred people joined it within the first two weeks, including users we'd not heard from in years, which impressed everyone and was a response well beyond my expectations. There is also a map of GNUstep users here. A few of the developers have NeXT hardware and if you do choose to use Frappr I'll point them in your direction and try and get them to join.

Tenzin
Jenne

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BeOS... Sad to say I never got in touch with that system (although I once had compatible hardware for it). Sounds like I should get it sometimes somewhere...

About the counter:

I'm not sure about those frappr-sites, can not tell You why but something keeps me not using such services. Anyway I would like to keep that counter as simple as possible: just some sort of online form consisting of fields like:

- model number
- type (station or cube)
- general location (like state & city)

as an option maybe additional form fields or check boxes like:

- additional hardware (like sound boxes or printers)
- software (OS version )
- picture upload

I'm thinking about such a counter like those old page hit counters because this is the main interest of my project. We will see about that. At last it is supposed to count black hardware only. I will let You know about any effort in this.

In the meantime I nearly finished another project for my homepage: a little documentation on my Macintosh Portable I bought recently for very less... Just check by www.blackmac.ch within the next 48 hours if You are interested. And by the way: a black 5500 as You are using as an avatar is priced off over here for about 35 bucks... maybe I'm getting this one, too ;-)

Kind regards to London!

J
tenzin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject: Black 5500 and BeOS Reply with quote

Jenne wrote:
BeOS... Sad to say I never got in touch with that system (although I once had compatible hardware for it). Sounds like I should get it sometimes somewhere...

And by the way: a black 5500 as You are using as an avatar is priced off over here for about 35 bucks... maybe I'm getting this one, too ;-)

Kind regards to London!

J

Go for it, they run Mac OS up to 9.14, including MachTen, BeOS from PR9/R1 to R503, SuSE, MkLinux and possibly ( the 5500/275 I have) Rhapsody which I haven't had the ability to test since the HDD's I was expecting haven't arrived.

I listed it's specifications in another thread here.

Regards from London to the land of WWW invention :)

Tenzin
brams

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jenne wrote:

Wow this is turning into a cool thread.

BeOS is very cool, such a shame it never took over the world, it's very clean & uncluttered, it's not got much in the way of eye candy but it still looks very nice. I've never programmed on it as the last time I did any programming was Z80 assembler aeons ago. I recall when I first tried it, I had a PowerMac 7300 with PowerLogix G3 300/300. They gave BeOS away on a MacWorld cover disc. I put it on and played with it, I was amazed at one of the demo's which was a rotating cube, that was cool in itself as there was no 3d hardware in the machine. However I then discovered that you could drop movies onto each side of the cube and they played on each side. as it continued to rotate (even with 6 movies playing at the same time, each on one face of the cube), the system was still responsive and didn't drop frames. This was way in front of what a Mac OS or Windows could do at the time. All with the 45mhz bus of the Mac as well.

Sadly my BeBox is not able to do the same...

Tenzin.

I need to look for this app on BeShare. Thanks for telling us.

Black Apple ]['s. They look very cool.

You sound like you've got a cool job, do you use much SGI gear for that?.

Good luck with the hunt for the Pixar, if you find one and manage to get it working, that would be worth seeing in the flesh. Keep me in mind.
tenzin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:37 pm    Post subject: BeOS, SGI, Pixar Reply with quote

brams wrote:
Jenne wrote:

Wow this is turning into a cool thread.

BeOS is very cool, such a shame it never took over the world, it's very clean & uncluttered, it's not got much in the way of eye candy but it still looks very nice.

BeOS can be bought, quite cheap, $22.95 US, from Purplus.

Quote:
I've never programmed on it as the last time I did any programming was Z80 assembler aeons ago.

It has the cleanest Object Oriented implementation of C++ there is, but seriously out of date and limited compiler and POSIX compatibility. I know most if not all of the people working on programming for BeOS and it's opensource implementation, Haiku aka OpenBeOS. They go through some difficulties, as did Be, Inc.

Quote:
Tenzin.

I need to look for this app on BeShare. Thanks for telling us.

The cube demo ?

Quote:
You sound like you've got a cool job, do you use much SGI gear for that?.

I wish I could, I work from home ( a small room actually) due to being quite badly disabled in a motorcycle accident in Asia three years ago. This ended my practical application of medicine and growing medicines to treat such things as malaria.

I use an IBM Thinkpad T30 running SuSE 9.2/GNUstep, with heavy chunks of libraries from Irix and Solaris origin, as well as most of the biochemic/visualisation applications having been developed on SGI and ported to Linux, and my PowerPC 5500/275 running Mac OS 8/MachTen, sometimes SuSE 6.4, othertimes BeOS R1 or R503, and a PowerPC 9600/200MP. I used to have some 25 computers designed for such work.

If I could afford SGI, I'd go for an Octane2, or better still, add an Altix 3200 to that :)

Quote:
Good luck with the hunt for the Pixar, if you find one and manage to get it working, that would be worth seeing in the flesh. Keep me in mind.

Yes, I'll need luck finding that and the Maxxboxx Fotostation, but at least I know I can use them for their original intended purpose. I recently remarked in a GNUstep newsgroup that Objective-C itself was invented by a computational biologist, and I use it for what it was designed for :)

Tenzin
Jenne

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The informations about the Portable are online (again: german...):

http://www.blackmac.ch/portable/

If I'm lucky I will get myself the keypad and some additional RAM (original Apple card)...

J
nextchef

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jenne wrote:

If I'm lucky I will get myself the keypad and some additional RAM (original Apple card)...

J

Jenne,

That is a great piece to add to the collection. I had forgotten completely about that one. The head of my computer lab back in school had one of them, and we used to all drool over it. Very cool when the rest of us were still banging away on the IIe's in the lab.

I think I may have to just leave this forum before my wife kills me for adding another piece of hitsory (or more old computer crap, as she puts it) to my collection. She does like her new mac mini though, so I scored some points with that.

There are even a couple on ebay .. HMMM

Chef
tenzin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:53 am    Post subject: Portable Reply with quote

Jenne wrote:

J

I love the animation of switching the keyboard and trackball from one side to the other :)

I think this Portable was one of the machines Jean Louis Gassee designed when he was at Apple, before he quit to start Be.

Tenzin
Jenne

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To become more "topic related" again I just got mayself a NeXTstation with 8 MB RAM, original 105 MB HD, 17" Mono Display, original NeXTstep 2.0 and lots (!) of manuals and documentation fur just 60 bucks!

Sometimes I'm quite a lucky bidder!

There are more things waiting to be documentated on BlackMac.ch. Apple's first external CD drive (AppleCD SC), the Nextstation, a PowerBook 145b, some additional material for the Portable...

Time is missing!

Anyway once again lots of thank You!s to You all!

J
Jenne

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another "rare" and "unusual" product has found it's way to my little collection:

Apple's one and only Tape Backup 40SC,

as far as I know Apple's very first and last try in tape backup drives. Alas, there is only very few information to be found at internet for this strange device. Have fun at:

http://www.blackmac.ch/tape/index.html

J
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Apple Hardware All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: