NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Install problems - OS4.2, VMWare and Windows
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Emulation / Virtualization
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul Richards

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob: thanks for all your help. As I've said earlier I have installed OpenSTEP 4.2 plus Developer applications successfully under VMWare Player v 7.1.2 on Windows 7.

It's the mouse that's the problem -- it goes haywire an is totall unusable. I have the VMMouse drivers downloaded. What I don't know is how to get the VMMouse drivers from Windows into OpenSTEP. I understand about using virtual floppies (I used them in the initial install).

The questions are:

(i) how do I create an image that can be imported into OpenSTEP?
(ii) how do I import it?
(iii) where should I put it in OpenSTEP?
(iv) when it's in the right place how do I install it?

As I've said before I'm a complete novice with regards to OpenSTEP. I am wanting to install it so that I can learn about a great operating system.
Rob Blessin Black Hole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul Richards wrote:
Rob: thanks for all your help. As I've said earlier I have installed OpenSTEP 4.2 plus Developer applications successfully under VMWare Player v 7.1.2 on Windows 7.

It's the mouse that's the problem -- it goes haywire an is totall unusable. I have the VMMouse drivers downloaded. What I don't know is how to get the VMMouse drivers from Windows into OpenSTEP. I understand about using virtual floppies (I used them in the initial install).

The questions are:

(i) how do I create an image that can be imported into OpenSTEP?
(ii) how do I import it?
(iii) where should I put it in OpenSTEP?
(iv) when it's in the right place how do I install it?

As I've said before I'm a complete novice with regards to OpenSTEP. I am wanting to install it so that I can learn about a great operating system.

This is from the MAC OSX side , Openstep will read DOS and MAC OS formatted disks. Does your Windows box have a floppy , if not you will need a USB floppy for VMWare to work as it looks like we can't do a virtual image to move a file into a floppy image ??? unless somebody out there knows?
So I'm thinking in Windows as long as you create a a dos formatted floppy image and drag and drop the VMwar mouse .tar.gz file into the floppy image then mount the floppy image make sure the extension is .fdd in VMWare, Openstep 4.2 should see it. Geeze to get the Video driver to work one would first have to install NeXTSTEP 3.3 User then developer run the compile then upgrade to Openstep 4.2 user .... Are you totally sold on VMware because virtual box for free can't possibly be this hard to do this or own free homebrew emulator previous is a lot easier for sure and we have instructions on the install, Does it have to be Openstep 4.2 as not many changes were made to the NeXT operating system side from NeXTSTEP to OpenSTEP , the changes were mainly to Openstep developer which seems to create problems with the emulators specifically drivers! If you have a PC from that era you can also install Openstep 4.2

At any rate here is the description for how to do a floppy in MAC OSX , I think you will find a similar description in the help files on VMWARE Windows for DOS . Also did you choose DOS for your virtual VMWare install as it works. **************************
To read data from a floppy disk to a virtual machine, you must create a disk image that the virtual machine can recognize.
Some operating systems require you to use floppy disks to install them. Because the Mac does not include a physical floppy drive, and because VMware Fusion supports floppy images only, you must use a USB floppy drive to create floppy images.
The Apple Disk Utility can create floppy disk images for this purpose.
Procedure
Attach a USB floppy drive to your Mac.
Start the Mac Disk Utility by going to Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility on your Mac.
Insert the floppy disk for which you need an image.
In the Disk Utility window, select the floppy disk and click New Image.
In the Image Format pop-up menu, select read/write.
In the Encryption pop-up menu, select None.
Save the floppy disk image to the chosen location.
In the Finder, right-click on the created floppy image and select Get Info.
In Name & Extension, change the file extension from .dmg to .flp and close the Get Info window.
Confirm the change when prompted.
(Optional) Repeat the process for each floppy disk to create.
What to do next
To attach the images to a virtual machine, see Connect and Set Up a Floppy Device.
Paul Richards

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob: thanks for the reply. First, I have tried Virtual Box but I got an 'Unable to mount root' message. I tried twice but still got the same message.

I'll try and translate your Mac method to Windows. I'll be away for a couple of days so I'll pick it up then.

Thanks again.
Paul Richards

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob: I've downloaded Previous 0.5 for Windows. Where can I find installation instructions for OpenSTEP 4.2?
mikeboss

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul Richards wrote:
Rob: I've downloaded Previous 0.5 for Windows. Where can I find installation instructions for OpenSTEP 4.2?

turn-key ready image(s) -> https://winworldpc.com/product/nextstep/4x
Paul Richards

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob: the only ones I can see for Previous are m68k architecture. Will they still run in Previous on Windows?
Paul Richards

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, it works fine + the mouse is usable as well Smile. Pity I can't get colour though.

Thanks for your help Rob.
Rob Blessin Black Hole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul Richards wrote:
OK, it works fine + the mouse is usable as well Smile. Pity I can't get colour though.

Thanks for your help Rob.

Hello : if you choose a Turbo Color as your system it will be in color. Best regards Rob Wink
Morgon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:20 pm    Post subject: Disk image Reply with quote

Hello Paul,

I prepared a floppy image to be used with VMware (here, unzip before use). Since OS will have installed a floppy driver by default this should work out of the box if you add a virtual floppy drive to your VM.

On the disk you will find my mouse driver VMMouse.config and the network driver VMXNet.config along with the archives they were built from. Once you attach the virtual floppy it should pop up as new window in the OS WorkspaceManager. Then you can simply double click the .config directories (not shown as directory in Workspace as the extension has a special meaning) and Configure.app should launch and install the drivers.

Remove the old PS/2 driver for the mouse and activate the VMMouse instead using "Add". If you are using a proper display driver (not simple VGA) the driver should detect the display resolution on its own. If this fails you will have to enter the value manually.
!!Don't forget to hit return in each field or the values would not make it to the configuration!!

The same goes for the network driver VMXNet. To get it working you need to remove the line 'ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000" ' from your vmx-file see this thread.

I haven't included the SoundBlasterPCI as that one is no longer working with newer versions (> 4.5) of VMWare.

Hope that helps you getting a running system.

Morgon

Last edited by Morgon on Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Rob Blessin Black Hole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Disk image Reply with quote

Morgon wrote:
Hello Paul,

I prepared a floppy image to be used with VMware (here, unzip before use). Since OS will have installed a floppy driver by default this should work out of the box if you add a virtual floppy drive to your VM.

On the disk you will find my mouse driver VMMouse.config and the network driver VMXNet.config along with the archives they were built from. Once you attach the virtual floppy it should pop up as new window in the OS WorkspaceManager. Then you can simply double click the .config directories (not shown as directory in Workspace as the extension has a special meaning) and Configure.app should launch and install the drivers.

Remove the old PS/2 driver for the mouse and activate the VMMouse instead using "Add". If you are using a proper display driver (not simple VGA) the driver should detect the display resolution on its own. If this fails you will have to enter the value manually.
!!Don't forgat to hit return in each field or the values would not make it to the configuration!!

The same goes for the network driver VMXNet. To get it working you need to remove the line 'ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000" ' from your vmx-file see this thread.

I haven't included the SoundBlasterPCI as that one is no longer working with newer versions (> 4.5) of VMWare.

Hope that helps you getting a running system.

Morgon

Hello Morgan: Thank you , I just uploaded them here as well. http://www.nextcomputers.org/NeXTfiles/Software/Virtualization/VMWare/
Best Regards Rob
Paul Richards

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morgon: many thanks. That seems to have done the trick.

How did you create the VMDrivers.img file? I tried to have a look at in WInImage but it could not read it. I would like to install VMWareFB drivers to get Super VGA and colour installed. How would I go about creating a similar *.img file?
eagle

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it would help, I created a CD ISO of the 4 drivers (Sound Blaster, VMXNet, VMMouse, VMwareFB). I could upload it.

I seem to remember that things are really quite difficult until you get the mouse driver installed. After that, things get much easier.
All mono
Paul Richards

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eagle: that would be great. I have installed the VMMouse and VMXNet drivers. The mouse is working superbly (Smile)

I would like now to install VMwareFB which I believe will give me much higher resolutions and, I think, colour. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Many thanks
Paul Richards

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

morgon: I don't have a line 'ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000" ' in my .vmx file.

I have to hit Ctl-C when OpenSTEP is booting to get to the GUI.
Morgon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul Richards wrote:
Morgon: many thanks. That seems to have done the trick.

How did you create the VMDrivers.img file? I tried to have a look at in WInImage but it could not read it. I would like to install VMWareFB drivers to get Super VGA and colour installed. How would I go about creating a similar *.img file?

Well I sort of cheated Very Happy. I have OS running inside VMware for quite some years, so I just created an empty disk image with VMware and attached the disk to the VM. Then I could format it and put the files onto it from inside OpenStep. That way I got a OS formatted floppy image containing the drivers which is better than a DOS one as the file names are not mangled.

Since I'm not using VMWareFB but my own display driver I don't have that one around and don't know which version is the best to use. As a fall back you can still activate the VESA driver and use that one once you have installed the OpenStep User patch. I used that one for quite a while myself until I wrote my own driver, as VMWareFB had some nasty flaws for me.

Paul Richards wrote:
morgon: I don't have a line 'ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000" ' in my .vmx file.

I have to hit Ctl-C when OpenSTEP is booting to get to the GUI.

The line in the vmx file is not mandatory but if it's there my driver won't work as it is for an older version of the virtual ethernet device.

You have to hit Ctrl-C as your system currently is not configured as standalone machine. Therefore it tries to find a configuration server. To get rid of that you need to edit "/etc/hostconfig". It should look something like following after that:
Code:

#
# /etc/hostconfig
#
# This file sets up shell variables used by the various rc scripts to
# configure the host.  Edit this file instead of rc.boot.
#
# Warning:  This is sourced by /bin/sh.  Make sure there are no spaces
#       on either side of the "=".
#
# There are some special keywords used by rc.boot and the programs it
# calls:
#
#   -AUTOMATIC-   Configure automatically
#   -YES-      Turn a feature on
#   -NO-      Leave a feature off or do not configure
#
HOSTNAME=-AUTOMATIC-
INETADDR=192.168.100.2
ROUTER=-ROUTED-
IPNETMASK=255.255.255.0
IPBROADCAST=192.168.100.255
NETMASTER=-YES-
YPDOMAIN=-NO-
TIME=-AUTOMATIC-

Replace the IP-Adresses with the proper ones for your machine. Once you have network running you can even assign a machine name in this file but this needs some changes in the Netinfo database as well. This might be good to leave for later until you got used to the system in general.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Emulation / Virtualization All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: