NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Install problems - OS4.2, VMWare and Windows
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Emulation / Virtualization
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul Richards

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

morgon:

Quote:
As a fall back you can still activate the VESA driver and use that one once you have installed the OpenStep User patch.

As far as patches are concerned I haven't installed any yet, just the basic User and Developer functions. Where do I get the User patch? And also I've seen references to a Year 2K patch - where do I get that also?

Any chance you can let me have your own display driver as an .img file like before Smile ?

Quote:
You have to hit Ctrl-C as your system currently is not configured as standalone machine.

OK, I'll have to have a think about this one. I don't want to mess up any vital start up scripts.

Quote:
Replace the IP-Adresses with the proper ones for your machine.

Is this the IP address of my Windows host machine?

Thanks for your help.
Morgon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul Richards wrote:
morgon:

Quote:
As a fall back you can still activate the VESA driver and use that one once you have installed the OpenStep User patch.

As far as patches are concerned I haven't installed any yet, just the basic User and Developer functions. Where do I get the User patch? And also I've seen references to a Year 2K patch - where do I get that also?

You can find the patches here: http://www.nextcomputers.org/NeXTfiles/Software/OPENSTEP/Patches/. The easiest way to get them into OpenStep is either to get network running and get them via NFS or FTP or to make an ISO-image and attach that to the VM so OS can see it.

Paul Richards wrote:

Any chance you can let me have your own display driver as an .img file like before Smile ?

With the display driver it's a bit different than with my other drivers. For one it's quite big in size (and doesn't fit on a floppy) and for the other it's not as easy to use. Although it's quite stable by now on my systems it sometimes happenes to crash them, especially after changes in the VMs. Real bad thing about this is that it gets loaded during boot and therefore crashes the system pretty early, leading to the need of some command line tweaking of the system during the boot process Sad

Beside those practical difficulties I would need to release it with source code as it is based on XFree86. That is one thing I am bit reluctant to do because the code is a big mess in several parts due to necessary workarounds to get the XFree86 code working in OS kernel level at all.

Paul Richards wrote:
Quote:
You have to hit Ctrl-C as your system currently is not configured as standalone machine.

OK, I'll have to have a think about this one. I don't want to mess up any vital start up scripts.

Quote:
Replace the IP-Adresses with the proper ones for your machine.

Is this the IP address of my Windows host machine?

Thanks for your help.

No, not of your host machine. It needs to be an address from the network assigned to your VM. You also need to set the address of your gateway in the "ROUTER" line. When using a bridged network this is the address of your real router, for NAT and private network this will be the IP of the virtual VM gateway at address .1 of the chosen network.

This additional effort is necessary as OS doesn't understand DHCP without additional software, but I never tried that.
Paul Richards

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

morgon: this is all getting too hard Sad

I changed from the VGA driver to the Super VGA driver and when I rebooted I got a blank black screen.

So I'm going to have to reinstall OpenSTEP from scratch. But I wonder if it's worth it. A monochrome VGA screen (a small VMWare window on my laptop) is not really feasible and I don't have the correct tools (presumably Mac tools) to create the drivers I need (e.g. the VMWareFB to create colour and higher resolution) in the required format (not DOSWindows.)

I just d/loaded the OSMachUserPatch4 file and WinZip cannot unzip it correctly so I can't make an .iso file (NFS or FTP isn't even a starter for me.)

So I think that's it for me and OpenSTEP. It's a pity because I was really looking forward to using a ground-breaking operating system with that undefinable Steve Jobs touch.

Thanks to everyone in this forum for the help and assistance I've received.
Rob Blessin Black Hole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul Richards wrote:

I changed from the VGA driver to the Super VGA driver and when I rebooted I got a blank black screen.

So I'm going to have to reinstall OpenSTEP from scratch. But I wonder if it's worth it. A monochrome VGA screen (a small VMWare window on my laptop) is not really feasible and I don't have the correct tools (presumably Mac tools) to create the drivers I need (e.g. the VMWareFB to create colour and higher resolution) in the required format (not DOSWindows.)

I just d/loaded the OSMachUserPatch4 file and WinZip cannot unzip it correctly so I can't make an .iso file (NFS or FTP isn't even a starter for me.)

So I think that's it for me and OpenSTEP. It's a pity because I was really looking forward to using a ground-breaking operating system with that undefinable Steve Jobs touch.

Hello : I did upload the drivers for VMWare here http://www.nextcomputers.org/NeXTfiles/Software/Virtualization/VMWare/
holy moly this is like a whole new evolution of NeXTSTEP/ Openstep that has taken on a life of its own in Emulation or Virtualization. Every new encarnation of the Emulators seems to cause problems for the formerly stable installs . Previous has my vote here because it is targeted for use with NeXTSTEP and Openstep emulating the original hardware so it makes the most sense.
Noth

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for not monitoring this thread... Rob & all, the best way to get drivers and any files into NeXTSTEP or OPENSTEP in VMWare (until you have networking working) is to prep an ISO image, every time. Just mount it, copy the files over as root, and get everything installed. Can be prep'd in any current OS, and instructions are all over the web.
Morgon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul Richards wrote:

Don't give up yet. There is no need to reinstall the whole system. You can prevent the loading of the problematic SVGA driver during boot. I will try to write some instructions how to do that coming weekend.

Regarding the patch there is no need to extract the tar file under Windows, you can just put the whole file into an ISO image to be used with the virtual CD drive and extract it inside OS as written in the OS42PatchRelaseNotes.pdf for the patches.

Morgon
Paul Richards

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morgon: I relented and reinstalled Smile Back on the default VGA driver at the moment.

Just to be certain: do I need just the User Patch 4 or do I need any other patches? Looking at the Release Notes it seems I don't need any of the earlier patches. I have OS42UserPatcth4.tar

Also I have the VMWareFB.config.tar.gz on my desktop. Does this need to be unzipped?

When I unzipped this before I ended up with a folder VWareFB inside which was a VMWareFB.config inside which was another file VMWareFB.config which had things in it like another folder called English.proj and files like Default.table. Display.modes etc.
I am not sure which of this hierarchy (VMWareFB -> VMWareFB.config -> VMWareFB.config -> English.lproj ...) needs to be applied in an ISO.

Thanks.
Paul Richards

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, some progress. I made an ISO image of OS42UserPatch4.tar and mounted it in my virtual CD drive.

OS42 recognised the CD and File Viewer displayed 'os42ma~0.tar'. I double-clicked on this file and the Archive Inspector popped up saying 'This selection was archived using the UNIX tar command. Archived files must be unarchived before use.' However the 'Unarchive' button was greyed out (as was also the 'Revert' button.)

Progress of a sort Smile
Rob Blessin Black Hole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul Richards wrote:
OK, some progress. I made an ISO image of OS42UserPatch4.tar and mounted it in my virtual CD drive.

OS42 recognised the CD and File Viewer displayed 'os42ma~0.tar'. I double-clicked on this file and the Archive Inspector popped up saying 'This selection was archived using the UNIX tar command. Archived files must be unarchived before use.' However the 'Unarchive' button was greyed out (as was also the 'Revert' button.)

Progress of a sort Smile
the reason it is greyed out is Openstep thinks it is a physical tar file on CD image because it is mounted as a disk so to unarchive it you need to drag the tar image to a new folder it should copy it in Openstep under root . then click the Openstep.tar image then it should untar to what I'm not sure as whatever you copied in . Patch 4 is all you need. Initially however , You should be able to save the Openstep 4.2 image as an ISO you downloaded as an iso file which would then appear Instead of compressed or .tar as .iso , if you see Openstep 4.2 user patch 4 . Pkg after untaring in the new folder while logged in as root click to install . Best regards Rob
Paul Richards

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob: thanks for that. I installed the UserPatch4 and have chosen the VESA VBE driver.

I assume I need to select a Display Mode in the Configure.app but when I choose 'Select' there are no entries in the 'Select Display Mode' dialog, that is nothing for Height, Width, Refresh or Color Space.

Have I missed something?
Rob Blessin Black Hole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul Richards wrote:
Rob: thanks for that. I installed the UserPatch4 and have chosen the VESA VBE driver.

I assume I need to select a Display Mode in the Configure.app but when I choose 'Select' there are no entries in the 'Select Display Mode' dialog, that is nothing for Height, Width, Refresh or Color Space.

Have I missed something?

If we are talking VMWare , it is not compatible with the VESA driver . The way to check VESA compatability is at the NeXT> type in VBE Check=Yes and it returned not compatible with the video driver they are using unfortunately they broke something in the latest release. Still give it a try because may be it will work under Windows on a PC.... if it says it is compatible boot through to login and install the VBE driver then it should give you choices for various resolutions and refresh rates in configure.app . The cool thing is we have lots of talented developers joining the forum and some of them have driver writing experience. Under NeXTSTEP 3.3 there is actually a driver writing kit so the only thing holding back the operating system from being updated to run on 2gb partitions natively on modern hardware are drivers or in emulation are the drivers . Now if only we had the source code we would be able to update a lot of things like large hard drive support a USB driver would also be helpful. We will see .... glad to see your still trying I've spent 20 years working my way around these problems so I try and help as best I can after all this is Steve Jobs and company legacy software. It helped save Apple and elements of it are still used in IOS and IWatch development today literally 20 years ahead of its time in some respects. Best regards Rob Blessin
Paul Richards

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's disappointing re VMWare. However I have also installed OpenSTEP in Virtual Box.

I now have a colour screen and a selection of Display Modes to choose from. Unfortunately choosing, say, 1024 x 768 has absolutely no effect - I'm still in the VGA resolution.

I rebooted after choosing a higher resolution but this had no effect.
Rob Blessin Black Hole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul Richards wrote:
Well that's disappointing re VMWare. However I have also installed OpenSTEP in Virtual Box.

I now have a colour screen and a selection of Display Modes to choose from. Unfortunately choosing, say, 1024 x 768 has absolutely no effect - I'm still in the VGA resolution.

I rebooted after choosing a higher resolution but this had no effect.

Hello Paul: so is it stuck at 640 by 480 in Color , I just started up my Virtual Box install of Openstep 4.2 with VBE driver version 4.13 it freezes at the network driver looks like it was trying to do something with the bridged adaptor so I'm assuming I have to do a fresh install to comply with the latest version lol not tonight.
Another pointer if you login as root go to calender where you set the root password in preferences scroll all the way right click unix expert and large file support . You should see usr/adm/messages now appear check the file boot script it should show available VBE display modes . Be sure to pick the mode click apply then save and reboot in configure.app
I'm going to try Sleeping tonight lol you have no idea that hardware battles I'm fighting right now with the old NeXT boxes, to bad your not here in Fort Collins Colorado I would have you help me with installs on the NeXT box orders . NeXTSTEP had a network install feature and for fun I set up 10 boxes to install at once over the network , it was kind of fun because in the code it says excuse me while I kiss the sky then bam starts the install flying on all 10...
I'm having fun with it all. Best regards Rob Blessin
Paul Richards

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob: scrolling through the script there is reference to the VESA VBE initialization plus a list of display modes i.e. width, height, bpp

I'm not sure what you mean by 'Be sure to pick the mode click apply then save and reboot in configure.app'. I can't pick anything off a script Smile
Paul Richards

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob: I've just rebooted OS42 in Virtual Box and I've now got a resolution of 1024 x 768. IN VB Fullscreen it looks great.

Now to find out how to install the VMWareFB display driver in VMWare Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Emulation / Virtualization All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: