NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Floppy Recovery - A kind soul feel like helping me out?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
serstad

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:05 am    Post subject: Floppy Recovery - A kind soul feel like helping me out? Reply with quote

Been meaning to get around to this for a while and found this group.

Age-old story: I have a couple 3.5" floppies that I found in my stack of stuff. Since they say Next on them, my brilliant mind has deduced that they are my data disks from when I used the two Next computers that we had at our college (it was the cool thing to do). All of my other floppies from that era were readable on a Windows XP machine I had laying around but these aren't.

Would someone be interested in letting me mail them to you and see if anything is readable from them? And then uploading contents to a OneDrive or Dropbox for me? Maybe worth a Starbucks gift card or a donation to favorite charity or something?

Nothing of critical importance on the disks - just a few letters I remember writing and some papers, etc.

Thanks!
pitz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Floppy Recovery - A kind soul feel like helping me out? Reply with quote

serstad wrote:
Been meaning to get around to this for a while and found this group.

Age-old story: I have a couple 3.5" floppies that I found in my stack of stuff. Since they say Next on them, my brilliant mind has deduced that they are my data disks from when I used the two Next computers that we had at our college (it was the cool thing to do). All of my other floppies from that era were readable on a Windows XP machine I had laying around but these aren't.

Would someone be interested in letting me mail them to you and see if anything is readable from them? And then uploading contents to a OneDrive or Dropbox for me? Maybe worth a Starbucks gift card or a donation to favorite charity or something?

Nothing of critical importance on the disks - just a few letters I remember writing and some papers, etc.

Thanks!

Are they standard HD (1.44 MB) diskettes? Or are they ED (2.88 MB) diskettes? If they are HD diskettes, you can use your Windows box to extract the disk content into disk image files -- raw 1.44 MB binary files.

Then see my very old post on reading the file system from disk images http://www.nextcomputers.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1667

Note that the updated link for the tool is at http://www.thinkrealsimple.com/files/ns_ufs2tool.zip

I can't remember if that version was capable of reading diskette images (I used it for reading hard disk images). If not, it shouldn't take me long to fix it.
bobo68

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can send the floppies to me if you live in Europe. Sending them over the pond is probably too much, isn't it?

That said, I'm pretty sure one can read the floppies with NeXTStep installed in VMware or Parallels on a Mac and a half decent USB floppy drive. I could give it a try if you want.
barcher174

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also wouldn't mind doing this for you if the emulator doesn't work out. I'm in California.
tomaz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the floppies have any bad sectors? I have a recovery program which I wrote for 1.44MB floppies that can be used on any computer with a USB port using a USB floppy drive. It can also deal with some bad sectors, as long as each sector is eventually readable. I have a similar program that runs on a NeXT for 2.88MB floppies. I think there are similar programs available on the net (ddrecover?). You need to dump each sector multiple times and compare the reads, as there is often silent data corruption. For floppies with too many bad sectors to restore normally, I have a KryoFlux drive. Once you have a sector dump, you can mount NeXT floppies on MacOSX using AncientFS. I can try to make a sector dump for you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: