NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Initial success with Hyper-V

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Emulation / Virtualization
View previous topic :: View next topic  
calvinb

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:00 am    Post subject: Initial success with Hyper-V Reply with quote

In case you're out of the loop, Hyper-V is the hypervisor built into Windows. Surprisingly, it actually runs OPENSTEP! I followed this guide and it comes up. Some pain points:

• Video acceleration? Nope. Default video is what you get. The S3 PCI driver doesn't seem to support the emulated S3 Trio 765. (I think that's what it is - most guests are just either Linux using basic framebuffer or "enlightened" Windows guests using the native Hyper-V framebuffer/RDP.) VESA after installing the patches is a no-go as well.
  • For whatever reason, I/O is slow. I'm using the PIIIX driver.
  • Ethernet is a Tulip, but I haven't tested it since the system is pretty miserable without the former two working better.
evolver56k

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Initial success with Hyper-V Reply with quote

calvinb wrote:
In case you're out of the loop, Hyper-V is the hypervisor built into Windows. Surprisingly, it actually runs OPENSTEP! I followed this guide and it comes up. Some pain points:

• Video acceleration? Nope. Default video is what you get. The S3 PCI driver doesn't seem to support the emulated S3 Trio 765. (I think that's what it is - most guests are just either Linux using basic framebuffer or "enlightened" Windows guests using the native Hyper-V framebuffer/RDP.) VESA after installing the patches is a no-go as well.
  • For whatever reason, I/O is slow. I'm using the PIIIX driver.
  • Ethernet is a Tulip, but I haven't tested it since the system is pretty miserable without the former two working better.

That's pretty sweet.
Unfortunately dmesg doesn't work in NS or OS, but does in Rhapsody. If you can install Rhapsody, you can get the PCI device ids of all the emulated hardware. I'm betting you'd just need to add the device id of the emulated card to the S3 driver's Default.config.

If you don't have Rhapsody, you can boot a small netinstall ISO of any linux and on the same VM, drop to the shell and run lspci and that would also get you your device ids.
calvinb

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the PCI IDs from a Windows guest. When I tried adding them manually to the S3 drivers, they just noped out of there. I have a feeling that it's not Trio compatible anymore.

I'm on VMware again, so I haven't done further testing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Emulation / Virtualization All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: