NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
iOS App About NeXT Products

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trent823

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:13 am    Post subject: iOS App About NeXT Products Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

This week on Friday the 19th of March I'll be releasing the TestFlight (Beta Test) of an app I've been developing that will have an in-depth technical spec of all the NeXT products I have researched and documented. I hope in the future to had much more until it has all the products in great detail.

My issue and reason for the TestFlight is because I don't know everything. I have very little to reference off in the way of physical products where as some of the members of these forums have much more and are extremely knowledgeable on everything NeXT.

I need volunteers - and as many as I can get, even if you don't think you'll know more than me and just want to see the app before its published fully please let me know. Just personal message me please and I will let you know the next steps to becoming a tester.

Obviously anyone who wants to test the app is welcome and as much feedback and knowledge as possible would be amazing - your information is priceless in making this app worthwhile

To be completely clear and transparent - this app will:
- Be complete free to download
- Adfree
- Nightly Builds are expected (if there is enough feedback) during the TestFlight
- All errors will be listed in the update report with the name of the first person to notify me of it. ( this can be your name or username if you want to hide your real name)

The app will not:
- Be a forum - nextcomputers.org already do this amazingly
- Available for only iOS device at this stage. Native Mac and iPad apps will come soon after the initial release of the iPhone version to the App Store (very interested in someone working with me to port it to NeXTStep)

What you need to be apart of the Beta Test:
- An iOS device (preferably an iPhone)
- iOS 6 or higher is preferred
- An Apple ID (you will need to share the e-mail address with me so I can share the app with you)
- The FlightTest app made by Apple for iOS available of the App Store

*NOTE: This is only for this first release - I will need testers for more platforms as I make it for more systems. Please contact me if you want to be a tester for iPad or Mac (include your e-mail address please). Please also contact me if you want it for a different platform - but remember I'm doing this for free and so I can't make a version for every UNIX based system since the beginning of time.

While I think all the technical issues have been fixed (hopefully) over the last few months, the actual product information is likely very average so please message me and sign up to be apart of the testing team by Friday to get the first beta but you can sign up at anytime.

Thank you to everyone who signs up to help me help the community - means a great deal to me.
trent823

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better to just e-mail me actually on hello@whatnextcomputers.com

For some reason my outgoing messages aren't sending to some users whereas e-mails I'm sure will work. If anyone knows why my messages are getting stuck in the outgoing box and not making it to the sent box please let me know
calvinb

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The major question is why make it an app? What's the advantage over putting it on a website I can access with any browser on any platform I want?
trent823

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a fair question - the answer will be clearer in the second version. However I've made the framework so I can use the same database to display it on a website in the future but I haven't had the time to do that yet.

Another major reason was because I had an interest in making an app - I thought it was the best way to display the content and it was initial going to just be for personal reference but I figured it'd be nice to share it.

I may port it for more systems later, and maybe into a website but I made an app for iPhone to start with - if people like it I'll put in more of my free time into making available for more people on different devices
trent823

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Version 2 will include buying and selling facilities - I've already start work on this functionality
oneNeXT

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: iOS App About NeXT Products Reply with quote

trent823 wrote:
The app will not:
- Be a forum - nextcomputers.org already do this amazingly
- Available for only iOS device at this stage. Native Mac and iPad apps will come soon after the initial release of the iPhone version to the App Store (very interested in someone working with me to port it to NeXTStep)

A port to NEXTSTEP or OPENSTEP ?

trent823 wrote:
Thats a fair question - the answer will be clearer in the second version. However I've made the framework so I can use the same database to display it on a website in the future but I haven't had the time to do that yet.

What is the format of your database , sql , xml, json , ... ?
trent823

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XML but I'm sure I could find a way to convert it if it's needed in a different format
oneNeXT

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it be possible to get it for some test ?

I hope that a minimal ??XMLParser would be enough.
trent823

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the very late reply, life got very busy. If you are still interested contact me via private message with your e-mail and I'll give you access to the database
oneNeXT

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problemo, PM sent.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> NeXT Work Logs All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: