NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Replacing VLSI chips to solve nonbooting cubes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
barcher174

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 10:33 pm    Post subject: Replacing VLSI chips to solve nonbooting cubes Reply with quote

All,

Do you have a cube that won't boot? Does it boot to a black screen, but the screen is still lit? The diagnostic LED will also not be lit or may blink undocumented codes.

1) Check the CPU and ROM
2) Check the RTC chip and associated diodes
3) Replace the ICP (integrated channel processor - The VLSI next to the CPU)

Does the cube not provide video at all?

It could be the video IC

Where to get these parts? A first generation nextstation has an identical ICP and video chip. A typical failure for a video IC is detached chip legs. I have not seen a case of apparent physical damage to the ICP. I think thermal stress is killing the video IC. I received the board pictured above with both chips removed. Rob believed it came from Bell Services, which gave me the idea that these were common failures at the time. I have now revived 2 additional cube boards using this technique.

--
Brian
Rob Blessin Black Hole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing VLSI chips to solve nonbooting cubes Reply with quote

barcher174 wrote:
All,

Do you have a cube that won't boot? Does it boot to a black screen, but the screen is still lit? The diagnostic LED will also not be lit or may blink undocumented codes.

1) Check the CPU and ROM
2) Check the RTC chip and associated diodes
3) Replace the ICP (integrated channel processor - The VLSI next to the CPU)

Does the cube not provide video at all?

It could be the video IC

Where to get these parts? A first generation nextstation has an identical ICP and video chip. A typical failure for a video IC is detached chip legs. I have not seen a case of apparent physical damage to the ICP. I think thermal stress is killing the video IC. I received the board pictured above with both chips removed. Rob believed it came from Bell Services, which gave me the idea that these were common failures at the time. I have now revived 2 additional cube boards using this technique.

--
Brian
. Hello Brian : Excellent work ,I'm always very impressed ! Best regards Rob Blessin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Black Hardware All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: