NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Rhapsody (an IRC client, not an OS)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Porting New Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
calvinb

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:04 pm    Post subject: Rhapsody (an IRC client, not an OS) Reply with quote

Rhapsody is a text-based IRC client with a GUI. With some work, it DOES run. It's certainly better than ircII, mainly due to some semblance of windows. (Irssi would be nice next thing...)

You'll need to use -posix with the compiler flags. Because I'm using 4.2, I had to use the Posix support lib someone made because 4.2 guts the POSIX libraries. Stupid. Even then, that won't cover uname, but you can turn that into a gethostname call easily.

For surgery to actual code, you'll need to change any calls with return(structure) to return structure. Also, -> might be wonky, so I'd recommend turning them into (*struct).field.

Using it with PuTTY can cause wonkiness. It'll work just fine in an Xterm though.
Daxziz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it be possible to upload your code to github instead? That way it's much easier for everyone to download the code with the changes needed for compiling it, and it's possible for you to leave a step by step instructing on how to make it compile at a certain platform.

If we could get everyone to embrace using GitHub, it'll be much easier for the remaining community to share and download and as a bonus we're not depended on a single person having a personal dropbox or ftp server running.

-Daxziz
calvinb

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan to reproduce my changes on GitHub, yeah. (then a git client would be nice, hmmmm)
Daxziz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:45 am    Post subject: . Reply with quote

It would. I bet there's several CLI based which is easy to port.

-Daxziz
calvinb

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I've replicated my port here. The thing I still need to do deal with ncurses headers; Linux puts them in the root of include, but the way ncurses is packaged on NS, it's in its own subdirectory. The problem is that the ncurses headers on NS want to be referred to by their subdirectory, (<ncurses/ncurses.h> for example) not directly including that directory, (-I/usr/local/include/ncurses) otherwise it breaks because the ncurses headers import by referring to their subdirectory, so you have to change them, or change the program and break portability. Right now my system is set up with the altered headers (which I'll revert back)

There's a better way there somewhere.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Porting New Software All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: