NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
New addition to the collection.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SlateBlue

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:40 pm    Post subject: New addition to the collection. Reply with quote

I received a color slab today; it made the trek to Kansas all the way from Alaska. According to the gentleman I purchased it from, it was used by a professor at the University of Alaska - Fairbanks, and then eventually made its way to Anchorage. In addition to the slab, I got the 17" monitor, sound box, printer, start-up kit, CD-ROM, fax modem - all in their respective original boxes. I'm still waiting for the software and other documentation to arrive; they were shipped media mail and won't be here until next week.

This thing looks like it was hardly used. I mean, it's in nearly mint condition. The fax modem appears unused. It has 20 MB of RAM and came with a 406 MB hard drive, but I've since removed the hard drive and replaced it with a SCSI2SD. The drive ran insanely hot anyway. I'll post some pics when I get time.

Correct me if I'm wrong: I thought the color slab maxed out at 32 MB of RAM, but I read somewhere that you could upgrade it to 128 MB with 16 MB SIMMs. Is this accurate?
barcher174

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have 4 RAM slots then yes you're in luck. Otherwise if you have 8 then 32mb is as high as you can go.
SlateBlue

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

8 slots, so 32 MB it is. Thanks for the clarification.
SlateBlue

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't find a definitive answer to this question:
Will a non-turbo NeXTstation work with FPM or EDO memory, or both?
Andreas

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SlateBlue wrote:
I can't find a definitive answer to this question:
Will a non-turbo NeXTstation work with FPM or EDO memory, or both?

read here in section 5.24:
http://www.museplan.com/projects/next-mac-faq/NeXT-FAQ.txt

the mono you have deals with 30 pin SIMs, a color needs 72 PIN.
The question FPM or EDO came later with the 72 PIN so called "PS2" modules. AFAIK you need FPM, EDO won't work.
t-rexky

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a somewhat related note, EDO modules in my Turbo Color work just fine...
SlateBlue

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a couple of SIMMs to bring my memory total to 26 MB of RAM. I'm waiting on two more sticks to arrive to max it out. Has anyone else attempted to browse this board from his or her NeXT hardware? (I'm typing this entire post from the NeXtstation...) Geez... it's slow. Wink

I'm getting ready to upload a few photos of the machine (from my more modern computer!). In advance, I ask that you pardon the mess and poor lighting. The boxes for the slab and monitor have already been put in storage since I don't have enough room here to put them. The original CD-ROM, printer, and Starting Point kit are downstairs in my living room, still boxed. Since the original keyboard and mouse are in near mint condition, I decided not to use them. @Rob Blessin, do you have replacement pickup and feed rollers for the printers? It doesn't appear that this system had much use, but I'm sure the rollers have deteriorated some after 24 years. The best I can tell, this system was purchased sometime in 1992. I'm still waiting on the software to arrive. I know there are titles such as Mathematica, Create, Adobe Illustrator, Parabase/Sybase SQL, WordPerfect, Improv, and "The Big Green CD." I don't think this list is all inclusive.

Anyway, I've got it set up with the SCSI2SD, and a ~2 GB boot disk with NS 3.3. It had 3.2 installed on the original 400 MB hard disk. When I installed the SCSI2SD, I notice the original hard drive was insanely hot when I removed it. Is it normal for these older SCSI drives to run that hot? The drive wasn't excessively noisy.
t-rexky

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SlateBlue wrote:
[...]I notice the original hard drive was insanely hot when I removed it. Is it normal for these older SCSI drives to run that hot? The drive wasn't excessively noisy.

In my experience, the enterprise Quantum drives from that era run hot enough to burn your hand if you touched them for too long. Others would be similar. It's amazing that some of those drives run for 15+ years!
SlateBlue

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image handling between Google Drive and this board doesn't seem to work as intended. I'll post a link here to the album if anyone wants to see any of the photos I've uploaded. Nothing insanely impressive at this point, but more will be added in the future.

Album Link
SlateBlue

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

t-rexky wrote:
In my experience, the enterprise Quantum drives from that era run hot enough to burn your hand if you touched them for too long. Others would be similar. It's amazing that some of those drives run for 15+ years!

As was the case here. That excessive heat can't be good for everything else inside the computer.
SlateBlue

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Software and literature arrive today. Photos of some of the included materials (saved the best for last):

Andreas

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thats a really good starting point for collecting NeXT stuff. Besides the rare GEM DSP module i would never use that floppys and let the 50 pieces box untouched as collectors item Smile
SlateBlue

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't expecting the floppies or DSP module since they were never mentioned. I knew I was getting literature and software. I literally have three boxes of NeXT/Unix books. I'm with you about not using the floppies. I have no intention of doing so. If I need to use ED disks, I have other non NeXT branded disks available.
Rob Blessin Black Hole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow cool DSP module ! I Haagen new old stock NeXT laser printer intake rollers for $15 Best regards Rob
SlateBlue

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Rob. Have those rollers held up well over the years? Seems I read somewhere that the rubber has a tendency to deteriorate with age.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Black Hardware All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: