NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Well, I am disappointed....
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Well, I am disappointed.... Reply with quote

Well, I am disappointed. But it was fun while it lasted.

The NeXTStation slab running NextSTEP 3.3 I acquired earlier this week was working perfectly this morning... and I downloaded the NeXTStep Users Guide and QuickStart Guide off the internet onto my Mac Pro ....... and then when I started up the NeXTStation after lunch it appears that the hard drive in the NeXTStation has stopped working. I get the "Testing System" and then the "Loading from Disk..." screen shows up but the animated HD icon no longer spins and the HD is silent (no clicking) and the Startup does not load resources and progress to a Desktop.

I surmise that it might be the hard drive and not the power supply. The fan spins but no Desktop. Rats.

I do not have any system software floppies for this computer or any way to install the software onto another HD.

If the HD is SCSI, I have no end of SCSI drives I could put into it. My other 68040 computers are a pair of 800 MHz (4 X 200MHz 604e) Daystar Genesis Mac Clones I could raid for a drive.

This NeXTStation has 20 MB of RAM and a 105MB hard drive and the keyboard, mouse & monitor are excellent.

Suggestions anyone ? .... about where I could possibly get a hard drive with a copy of NextSTEP 3.3 installed on it ?

Mike in CANADA, near TORONTO.
SlateBlue

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

For a replacement drive, search the web for a device called SCSI2SD. It adapts an SD card to 50-pin SCSI so you can use it as a boot drive for hardware requiring a 50-pin SCSI drive. Use on NeXTstations require editing a text file; search these forums for SCSI2SD for additional info.

Boot floppy images are available on the Internet. You need a computer capable of writing the image to a 1.44 MB disk. Images for the NeXTSTEP CDs are also available on the web. Do you have a CD-ROM drive for your NeXT?
Mike

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for responding.

Unfortunately, I do not have a CD-ROM drive for my NeXTStation. The fellow who gave me this NeXTStation just gave me the keyboard, mouse, monitor, slab, and cables. No software, no disks, no peripherals and no books.

The only think I have that will potentially write to 1.44 MB floppies is an old Mac clone and it is getting very temperamental.

And I checked on the internet for those SCSI2SD things that take SD cards and they are about $100 here in Canada .... which is actually more than I want to spend for a interface card for a computer that is more of a novelty.

Hmmmmmm.... Maybe this computer should go to someone who has the ability to make better use of it than me.
Mike

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a chance that it might be something as simple as a dead battery ??
I recall from my days of 68030 Mac IIci & Mac IIfx boxes that there were circumstances where a dead PRAM battery might cause a computer to not boot....

Mike
SlateBlue

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure how a dead battery affects these computers. If you haven't done so already, I would check to make sure the molex and SCSI cables are firmly seated in the connectors of the hard drive and logic board. Did you change any jumper settings on the hard drive itself?
eagle

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be a dead battery, yes. I seem to recall that my NeXTs wouldn't boot when their batteries were dead.
All mono
Mike

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not change anything at all inside the box, (in terms of touching the jumpers) but I did pop the box open to check that the connections to the drive are secure. They are.

Is it still possible to get a PRAM battery for these things ??

Mike
Mike

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eagle wrote:
It could be a dead battery, yes. I seem to recall that my NeXTs wouldn't boot when their batteries were dead.

Well....

the battery has been in there since October, 1991.....

Maybe a replacement battery is a good place to start.

Where do I get one ??

Mike
eagle

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike wrote:
eagle wrote:

Well....

Where do I get one ??

Mike

Battery specialty stores usually have them. If not that, Amazon probably has them. Been a while since I ordered one of those batteries.
All mono
Mike

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found a couple of 3 Volt CR123A Lithium batteries on eBay. The listing says that they are a replacement for the BR2/3A. They should be here in a few days.

If this allows the computer to complete the start up sequence again I will be delighted, and no doubt be back here in a few days looking for advice about how to get it up and running again. If it turns out that the HD is actually dead, that will open a different can of worms.

For FUTURE consideration: Before the NeXTStation died I found an old 2.17GB external SCSI drive in the basement and connected it to the NeXTStation. It was formatted for Mac. I initialized the external drive using the NeXTSTEP disk tools, created some New Folders on it, and copied some of the information documents to it to make sure it worked. If I remove the drive from the case and install this 2 GB drive into the NeXTStation, what do I have to go through to get it up and running again ?

Thanks to all for your support and advice (past, present & future).

Mike
t-rexky

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike, please see my response in your other thread...

If you give me the 2GB drive I can install a clean NS3.3 on it for you. If you also give me the internal Quantum drive I can run some diagnostics on it for you to confirm if it is indeed the culprit.
Mike

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wunnerful, Wunnerful, Wunnerful.

Thanks for the offer !!

I can box this stuff up and get it off to you as soon as it stops snowing.

Where are you?

Give me a number or a Skype ID and I'll get in touch !!

Mike
pentium

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is there a chance that it might be something as simple as a dead battery ??

No.
Quote:

NeXT's will not turn on if their battery is dead or missing. If it's turning on then the cell is "good enough". Don't mislead him.
edited: too late, you made him buy another battery anyways.
Quote:

Quote:
Where do I get one ??

Replacement battery is the Panasonic BR-2/3A. They still make them and Digikey sells them.

As for the original drive, if it's the original (3.5" Maxtor?) then the reason it's not spinning up is likely the bearings are sticking. A trick with that problem is a few twists of the wrist while the powered drive is in your hand. You will know when to twist. The drive will have some amazing inertial force trying to spin itself up.

-NeXT 68040 Cube with NS 3.3 and 64Mb ram
eagle

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As for the original drive, if it's the original (3.5" Maxtor?) then the reason it's not spinning up is likely the bearings are sticking. A trick with that problem is a few twists of the wrist while the powered drive is in your hand. You will know when to twist. The drive will have some amazing inertial force trying to spin itself up.

I bang the drive against a desk, or knock on it with my hand. Smile
All mono
Mike

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay............

I replaced the battery, which did not help, and I sorted out the RAM.

The on-screen RAM inspection showed that it had a mixture of four 4-Meg 8-chip fast page mode SIMMs and four 9-chip 1-Meg Parity SIMMs so I pulled the four 1-meg Simms and replaced them with four 8-chip 1-meg SIMMs....

No difference. Cannot find valid boot device.

Removing the little SIMMs is not easy but I made a tool (out of a bicycle spoke) that easily slid into the hole in the SIMM and pushed the little clip back, making SIMM removal very easy.

Now the on-screen RAM inspection shows a total of 20 MB of all fast page mode RAM.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Black Hardware All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: