www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Well, I am disappointed....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay............

I replaced the battery, which did not help, and I sorted out the RAM.

The on-screen RAM inspection showed that it had a mixture of four 4-Meg 8-chip fast page mode SIMMs and four 9-chip 1-Meg Parity SIMMs so I pulled the four 1-meg Simms and replaced them with four 8-chip 1-meg SIMMs....

No difference. Cannot find valid boot device.

Removing the little SIMMs is not easy but I made a tool (out of a bicycle spoke) that easily slid into the hole in the SIMM and pushed the little clip back, making SIMM removal very easy.

Now the on-screen RAM inspection shows a total of 20 MB of all fast page mode RAM.
Mike

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: Good news... Not Great, but still good... Reply with quote

I was concerned that the power supply might not be sending power to the HD, so I took a little SCSI drive out of an old semi-comatose Mac Clone and used a 4-pin Molex LP4 female to female cable to plug it into the computer where my internal HD plugs in. It spun up with no issues. No readable, of curse, but it definitely got power.

Basically, I replaced my HD with one that spins up when the Power button on the NeXT Keyboard is pressed. I then used the verified good 4-pin Molex LP4 to connect my internal Quantum drive. Nothing doing. It whispered for a second or two and then zilch.

So now I know that the HD is getting power, anyway...

Default Boot Device Still Not Found, of course.

I will look through my old Mac stuff to see if I can find a short SCSI ribbon. Most of my SCSO ribbons are much longer because my old Mac clones can hold up to 6 hard drives... but I might have one out of an old Iici...
Mike

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

t-rexky wrote:
Hi Mike, please see my response in your other thread...

If you give me the 2GB drive I can install a clean NS3.3 on it for you. If you also give me the internal Quantum drive I can run some diagnostics on it for you to confirm if it is indeed the culprit.

T-Rexky: Thank you for your offer. I would very much like to take you up on it.

I will PM you now with my contact information. Please let me know if you don't get it.
Noth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can install NeXTSTEP over the network, there are posts on how to do this on this forum. Notably you can use a virtual machine on your mac with the contents of the 680x0/i386 available via an NFS share.

It still amazes me how you people always focus on floppies when the NeXT machines have good enough firmware to be able to netboot. It's not rocket science, you know.
Mike

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah !

Easy for you to say!! There is a learning curve.

This is my first NeXT computer and I only had it for about a week when the hard drive died. The only software on it when I got it was the operating system.

It may take me quite a while to get up to speed.

So far this forum and the very clever people on it have been my only resource.

Mike
t-rexky

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we got Mike all fixed-up and ready to start enjoying his acquisition Wink
Mike

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes !!

I am definitely up and running. The new drive is full of good stuff for me to explore.

New user name and password installed successfully. I was looking forward to seeing the little animation where it shows drive platters spinning and the system components loading (like it did before the original drive died) but that does not happen anymore.

Every time I start the NeXTStation up it still fires up with a white screen with text that says that the boot volume is not found... and I have to type in bsd and hit enter to get it to proceed to a login screen, but other than that all is wonderful.

And I downloaded the NeXTSTEP Users Guide .pdf onto my Mac Desktop to use as a reference. There will be something every day.

Thanks for all the help.
t-rexky

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

Please read this to configure the ROM monitor on your machine to automatically start from the SCSI drive each time you boot it:

http://www.nextcomputers.org/NeXTfiles/Docs/NeXTStep/3.3/nsa/09_StartShut.htmld/index.html

Quote:
Inspecting or Modifying Configuration Parameters

You can inspect or change several system parameters with the p command. Execute this command at the NeXT> prompt by typing p (in lowercase) and pressing Return. All parameters are stored in nonvolatile RAM and will survive if the power is turned off.

When you type p, the ROM monitor begins an interactive session that prompts you for a value for each parameter. If you respond to a prompt by pressing Return, the parameter remains at the current value.

Note: If the hardware password is set, you cannot change the values of any parameters without that password. (See "Setting the Hardware Password" later in this chapter.)

Example:

p
boot command: od? sd (Make the SCSI drive the default boot device.)
DRAM tests: yes? yes
perform power-on system test: yes? yes
sound out tests: no? yes (Enable sound tests: system beeps after power-on.)
SCSI tests: no? yes
loop until keypress: no?
verbose test mode: no?
boot extended diagnostics: no?
serial port A is alternate console: no?
allow any ROM command even if password protected: no?
allow boot from any device even if password protected: no?
allow optical drive #0 eject even if password protected: no?
enable parity checking if parity memory is present: no?

To accept the default value in the above list you just hit Enter.

Good luck!
Mike

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well......

I tried that and really wish I hadn't.

Now I just have a screen that just says "Loading From Network" and an animated spiral ...... and I cannot access anything.

Well... f**k.
eagle

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike wrote:
Well......

I tried that and really wish I hadn't.

Now I just have a screen that just says "Loading From Network" and an animated spiral ...... and I cannot access anything.

Well... f**k.

There's a key sequence you can use to get out of that. I think it's command-command-backtick, but I'm not 100% certain on that. I am pretty sure it's command-command and the key on the top right corner of the keyboard.
All mono
Mike

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it is supposed to be a learning experience.

I can access the Desktop again but it means starting up with an extra step now:

The computer starts up with the animated message that it is trying to boot from the network ... and typing Command-p gets me a window where I can put in "bsd" at the prompt ..... and then wait while it runs through the entire script to finally ask for my name and password.

Much better than being locked out.

Another victory over the mystery that is NeXTStep.

Mike
pergamon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike wrote:

I can access the Desktop again but it means starting up with an extra step now:

The computer starts up with the animated message that it is trying to boot from the network ... and typing Command-p gets me a window where I can put in "bsd" at the prompt .....

When you're at the prompt where you're typing "bsd", instead type "p" and hit enter. This is how you set some firmware preferences. The first question will be something like "Boot Command?", and in reply type "sd". You should be able to just hit enter to keep all the rest of the preferences. Power off and when you power back on it should boot from the hard drive instead of network.

(BTW if typing "p" doesn't do what I describe, instead type in "mon" and hit enter first.)
Mike

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply...

This is what you mean ??

That suggestion to type in mon and hit enter first is ambiguous. How canOI type something and then pre-hit Enter ??
Mike

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well.... I'll be damned !!!

Look what I got. An infestation of Standard Daemons.

It worked.

For the first time since I installed the new hard drive I just got a Startup that showed the little animation of the hard disk platter spinning... and the Reading From System progress bar... and all is "bigly" improved.

You guys............

Mike
t-rexky

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent! I was going to offer more guidance but had zero time till now. One of my posts above includes a link to the System Administrator's Manual, Boot section, that describes all of that in a great detail.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Black Hardware All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: