NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
NeXTStation ....... Anybody need one ??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject: NeXTStation ....... Anybody need one ?? Reply with quote

I am really not up to the challenge of getting this computer up and running again, and the technology is interesting but I can't see myself actually doing anything with it. Much confusion ensues. I have a MacBook Pro and two Mac Pro towers and this NeXTStation was more of a curio than a serious computer for me.

To all who have helped me by answering my questions I say a big THANKS but this NeXTStation is wasted on me. It is a complete unit with functional mouse, clean keyboard, monitor and slab, with 105 MB Quantum HD and 20 MB of RAM. Four 4-meg chips and four 1-meg chips.

The startup indicates that the computer passes the physical check, but it will not load a system from the hard drive. The last time I turned it on I got a Loading System From Network with an animated snaky cable...

The monitor is in excellent condition with perfect rubber roller feet and no scratches on the glass and no stuck or dead pixels.

I don't think there is much wrong with it: BEFORE it stopped working when I put in a floppy it read it and initialized it OK and when I connected an external SCSI drive it recognised it and initialized it as well.

To heavy and fragile to mail. I am located in Southern Ontario, near Toronto.

Suggestions, please.

---------------------------------------------------

The memory check indicates :
Sockets 0-3 have 4 Meg parity page modeSIMMs Installed
Sockets 4-7 have 16 Meg page mode SIMMs Installed
Sockets 8-11 have no SIMMs Installed
Sockets 12-15 have no SIMMs Installed

Is there a chance that it is not booting because the RAM chips are not all parity ?? I have not changed anything....
SlateBlue

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure you can't ship?? Very Happy
Mike

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must know how heavy this thing is .... with the old monitor and all. And, unlike the rest of you, I am in Canada.

Maybe there will be someone local who will want to come to the house & pick it up. There might be someone into vintage NeXT computers in Toronto, which is only 30 miles away. Maybe I'll get lucky and find someone local who knows how to get it running again.
SlateBlue

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, I know how heavy it is. If you can't find a new home for it locally, I'm sure someone here would be willing to give it one. The key would be to try to get it all in one box. It's possible, you just need to make sure to use enough packing material to protect everything. Rob Blessin shipped mine that way, and it arrived undamaged. Admittedly, it only traveled ~450 miles between us.

Anyway, good luck fixing or re-homing it. Whatever you do, don't trash it. You may get an idea for shipping to the states and let someone here decide for themselves whether the shipping cost is worth it.
t-rexky

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, I have been following your posts but had no time to write a response. I would be happy to help you with the machine to get it going again, but I am suffering from severe lack of free time at the moment. I am north of Toronto but am in the city daily for work. If you are ok with my unpredictable schedule we could arrange to meet perhaps. PM me here or we can continue chatting in this thread...
qu1j0t3

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just adding that I'm also in Toronto and a NeXT owner who'd be happy to pick it up and look after it, if other options don't pan out.

(Aside, I recommend exploring a SCSI2SD as a solid state SCSI disk option. It's what I plan to use in my Cube.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Black Hardware All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: