NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
How much RAM do I really need? NeXTStation Mono Slab - NS3.3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: How much RAM do I really need? NeXTStation Mono Slab - NS3.3 Reply with quote

OK.

So I was given this 1991 NeXTStation and its a pip. It came with a lame hard drive but with encouragement and generous assistance from some people on this Forum I have it up and running like a champ.

All it has on it is the complete NeXTStep 3.3 operating system and I have no intentions of taking it out onto the internet or of loading any memory-intensive applications: I have a couple of Mac Pro computers for everything I want to do in that respect.

This NeXTStation computer came with 20 Megs of RAM: 4 X 4 and 4 X 1.

Considering how modest my demands will be on this machine, would it be a waste of money to upgrade the RAM from 20 Megs to 32 Megs (for about $US 45 on eBay) or would it make no discernible difference in the performance ?

Mike
SlateBlue

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wouldn't hurt to max the RAM, but if your demands are modest you can probably get by with 20 MB just fine.
t-rexky

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would keep my eyes open on eBay and on local kijiji ads. When you see something show at good price get it, but in the meantime use 20MB... That's how I got all of my 72 pin sticks.
Mike

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Digging around the MacJunk in the basement last week I found a bunch of SCSI terminators.... the big HD68 D-shell ones .... and among them there were a couple of the queer rare black ones that are required for wickedly fast Mac IIfx computers.

I'll never have another IIfx so I put one of them on eBay. The auction ends tomorrow afternoon. It got a bid of $33 Canadian, about $25 US, and now I'm thinking that with a bit of luck that little black SCSI terminator might turn into four 4-Meg 30-pin FP non-parity SIMMs.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Black Hardware All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: