NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
How to connect CD-ROM to NeXTStation to play music disks...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject: How to connect CD-ROM to NeXTStation to play music disks... Reply with quote

OK. I'm stumped on this one: Not much information in the manuals.

My SCSI CD-ROM drive has audio-out capabilities via two RCA mini-jacks.

If I want to play music CDs with my NeXTStation, can I cable this CD-player to the NeXTStation and, if so, where do I have to plug it in ??

Other than the microphone port on the back of the monitor, is there audio-in ??

Can music play be played over the speakers in the monitor ?

Mike
Mike

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never mind...

Everything just seems to work. The important part is to know that the CD application on NeXTStep starts out with a default volume setting that is extremely low.... and must be adjusted using the little slider in the lower part of the application window.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4370787/Purple004.MOV
bobo68

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the CD applications is reading the sound via SCSI, right?

AFAIK there is no way to feed analogue audio to the NeXTstation (without extra hardware).
Mike

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right.

It is an antique external SCSI CD-ROM drive with speakers attached and the CD program on the NeXTStation controls the volume and stops and starts the playback.
bobo68

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In your scenario the CD ROM is just instructed by the CD application to play back the sound via its own analog Cinch outputs.

That is not what I meant. I meant the digital sound data is imported from the CR ROM drive into the NeXTstation via SCSI and could be played back or saved there in a file.
Mike

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobo68:

Thanks for the reply.

Hmmmm... the CD applications is controlling the CD player through SCSI but playing the music through externally powered speakers that are plugged directly into the CD-player.

I have RCA audio out ports on the back of the CD-ROM drive and a headphone port on the front of the CD-ROM drive. The external drive and the NeXTStation communicate well because the CD-ROM responds to commands in the CD app in the NeXTStation.

Do I need to connect any external audio cables from the CD-ROM drive to the NeXTStation or can I send data through the SCSI cable and have it play through the speakers built into in the NeXT display instead of through external speakers plugged directly into the CD player ??

Just curious.

Mike
bobo68

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It do not know if the sound can be transferred fully digitally via SCSI. In general and with other computers it is possible, but the drive and the software have to support it.

You should be able to connect the CD ROM to the mic in of the display port and record sound. From the brochure for the NeXTstation: "Using the built-in microphone in the MegaPixel DisplayTM or an external microphone, voice messages can be easily added to electronic mail or used to annotate applications."

This is of course then digital (CD) to analog (mic out, cable and mic in) to digital.
Mike

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobo68 wrote:
It do not know if the sound can be transferred fully digitally via SCSI. In general and with other computers it is possible, but the drive and the software have to support it.

You should be able to connect the CD ROM to the mic in of the display port and record sound. From the brochure for the NeXTstation: "Using the built-in microphone in the MegaPixel DisplayTM or an external microphone, voice messages can be easily added to electronic mail or used to annotate applications."

This is of course then digital (CD) to analog (mic out, cable and mic in) to digital.

Hello in Germany.

Aw, yiss.... i have used the microphone in the MegaPixel Display to record my own voice but I do not want to record music as such. Rather I was curious about whether or not the SCSI CD-player could be connected to the NeXTStation, possibly to the microphone port, with an audio cable and be made to play music quietly through the built-in NextStation's MegaPixel Display speakers .

Mike
pentium

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It do not know if the sound can be transferred fully digitally via SCSI.

It's supported on most SCSI CD drives. Saves you needing an audio cable. Macs of the same general era also supported audio over SCSI from the CD.

-NeXT 68040 Cube with NS 3.3 and 64Mb ram
Mike

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.

Maybe this CD player works that way and maybe it doesn't. At this point I really didn't expect it would and really don't care. I'm just delighted that everything else is working out so beautifully.

The ISO Peanuts CDs and Lighthouse CD I burned with the Mac work with the NeXTStation and the NeXTStep 3.3 CD mounts so I am way ahead of the game.

My only regret is that the guy who tossed me this computer as a gift did not buy a colour or turbo model !!!

That would be NEAT !!!
t-rexky

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes Mike, this is how it starts. A TurboColor can be easily obtained today for a tiny fraction of the original price. You will know when you are ready for one!

Twisted Evil
Mike

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shhhhhh....

Thats how addiction starts !!!! The thin edge of the wedge.

That is how I ended up in the 1980s with six or eight Italian motorcycles.... or here in 2017 with over 50 bicycles in the house.

Must resist.

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Black Hardware All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: