NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
How big are applications - how much space still on HD ??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: How big are applications - how much space still on HD ?? Reply with quote

More questions from someone just finding his way around NeXTStep:

All is good but I am coming from a Mac environment where it was very easy to tell how big applications were and how much space was left on a hard drive.

I'm sure this info is available in NeXTStep but I do not know where to access it.

Also do not know how to uninstall....

Where do I access this information before I get myself into trouble ?

Mike
Mike

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, yes.....

Its all there under the "Services" menu.

Select an app or a folder and click "Size Under Dark Forest" from the Services menu.

I have 1.40 GB available on my HD, and I checked and found the size of my entire apps folder (59MB), and Next apps folder (23.7MB) and Demo folder (7MB) with the Dark Forest app.

All is good.

Now: a few questions and I hope they aren't stupid.

I have a partitioned hard drive in this NeXTStation because when my original 105MB HD croaked it was replaced with a 4.3 GB Quantum Viking drive that got split into two drives.
Is there a way to see and check the size of the empty partition or only of the files on it ?

Are there any "disk repair" utilities on this computer that need to be run occasionally ?

Does the RAM get fractured with use and require a restart to free it up again ??

Thanks in advance.
Mike
t-rexky

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

The Workspace Manager 'File Viewer' window displays the amount of fee space on the disk (partition) you are viewing, in the top left corner area of the window. For example see this image:

When I partitioned your disk, I set-up the system to mount the second partition under /LocalData path. So in the root directory of the drive, using the 'File Viewer', if you click on LocalData you will see the empty partition.

There is no need to 'disk repair' since the system is able to detect a non-clean file system automatically. Non clean would mean, for example, a power loss. Unfortunately the BSD file system that the NeXT is using is quite susceptible to damage if the computer is unplugged or the power is lost, especially while write operations are taking place. In those situation on the next restart the system will automatically execute a command called fsck, a 'f'ile 's'ystem 'c'hec'k'. Because its file system is so sensitive, it is almost imperative that the NeXT sits on an uninterruptible power supply. Remember that this is a 1980s vintage file system and not as robust as modern file systems.

The memory does not generally get filled-up, but if you have less RAM and you run a 'leaky' program it will start growing the 'swap file', which is the virtual memory file that resides on the hard disk. NEXTSTEP does not shrink the swap file so over time it tends to grow. A 'leaky' program is a program that requests more memory from the operating system and then never releases that memory. An occasional reboot is therefore a good thing. Having said that, I've had the machine up and running doing heavy compilation work for months at a time sometimes, with no ill effects. Buy my machine has 128MB or RAM.

Regarding uninstalling: NEXTSTEP uses a much more superior package manager than the modern OS X does. Everything you install on the system through a package (with a .pkg extension), results in a 'receipt' being stored on the system in the /NextLibrary/Receipts directory. Those receipts have the same name as the installed package and also have the same .pkg extension. If you open a receipt with the Installer application (for example by double-clicking on it), it will present you with options to Delete the package or to Compress the package. Delete uninstalls the package by deleting all of its files. Compress does effectively the same thing, but instead of deleting all the files it compresses them and stores the compressed package in the /NextLibrary/Receipts directory. This allows you to reinstall the package at a later time by using the Expand option.

Cheers.
Mike

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Piotr:

I am so very glad that you are out there and willing to chime in with practical information and advice.

The thing is that I formulate and ask a question.... and then think of what the answer might be... and then go looking for it. The NeXT interface and workspace is intuitive enough that I figure out a way to find what I want.

The videos on YouTube of people simply using their NeXTStep systems is a big help too, even in emulation.

One sad note: I downloaded the product brochure for the NeXTStation and noticed this:

RAM Configurations
NeXTstations are currently
available in 8, 16 or 32 MB RAM
configurations.
RAM upgrades can be added
incrementally in two-SIMM
increments up to 32 MB of RAM.
When denser chips (16 MB)
become available, NeXTstations
can be upgraded up to 128 MB.

Parity memory is also an option,
and can be ordered on a select
number of 16 MB configurations

I have a set of 16-Meg 30-pin SIMMs and it would be neat if I could put them into this NeXT computer but my understanding is that the machine cannot address more than 32 MB of RAM.
I have the NeXTStation beside my Mac Pro, one with 32 MB or RAM, the other with 32 thousand MB of RAM.

I do not have a Uninterrupted Power Supply for this computer so I am only turning it on when I want to use it, and then turning it off as soon as I am finished with it.
Rob Blessin Black Hole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Mike: You can also find out the size of any file running the NeXT app called Dark Forest .app usually located in nextdeveloper demos directory or use the inspector app located under tools in your upper left menu. The console app shows you what's happening in the background also useful! Another cool thing is NeXTlibrary bookshelves as it has the sysadmin bookshelf in searchable for if you have the documentation packages installed !
Mike

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob:

Thanks for this:

I found Dark Forest a while ago and have been using it to de-mistify some of the programs.

I have been quiet on the Forums because my NeXTStation has been performing like a champ. No problems on this end, and Mike Shebanek's book has been a big help. We have exchanged a few messages.

The NeXTStation is still quick, responsive, and (as you can see from the attached Grab image) clean. The monitor is still bright and sharp after over 25 years.

Thanks for checking in.

Mike

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gg50v4cvzni4lhg/whole%20screen%20copy.tiff?dl=0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Black Hardware All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: