NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
What's your best Black Hardware purchase?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: What's your best Black Hardware purchase? Reply with quote

I was watching this thread and it brought a question to mind. What's the best deal that you've had when purchasing Black Hardware?
nextchef

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the other thread, it appears to me that brams is leading the pack. It is hard to say though, as blackcube has probably found some gems in the skids of stuff he has bought.

Chef
Nitro
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thatís a tough question! Iíve had quite a few good and bad deals, IMHO. I guess my best deal would be a complete mono Cube and mono Slab workstation. Purchase price, $0. The person who had them wanted to get them out of the house. I offered to pay for them but the owner just wanted me to cover the shipping, which ended up being just over $200.00 USD. The Cube and Slab showed up with hard drives intact, and plenty of original data. They belonged to an original NeXT employee. His NeXT business card is attached to the bottom of the keyboards and the Slab as well. Both the Cube and Slab have the difficult to find NeXT property sticker. I also received a huge amount of software, canít even begin to list it all. The cube paint and logo are perfect. Anyway, that my experience. Smile
blackcube

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My best deal was a whole van load of NeXT stations, printers, a 030 cube and other parts and software for free. Or the mint condition turbo slab, monitor, printer still in the original boxes complete with all paperwork and reciepts back to day 1 for the price of shipping from Austin to Dallas. It's still has the original toner cart in the printer but the scaper blade has hardened and has scratched the drum all to pieces. I still have the PO he used to order the NeXT through his school. The PO was a genetics researcher.

Probably my favorite deal was my first NeXT, a Turbo Color slab with laser printer and N4006 Sony monitor for $100. This was in January 1997 when it was still fairly current hardware. I found it at a surplus dealer in Dallas. He didn't know how to get around the root password reset problem and wanted to get it off his shelf. I should have taken him up on the second complete system that I left on the shelf. Mine was complete except for the missing ADB mouse but I substituted a Mac mouse until I bought one from Sperical Solutions or Deepspace Tech - I can't remember who sold it to me for the bargain price of $50. The second system was missing all of it's cables. Tim Loumat (of Peak) told me how to unlock the password and I was off to the races.

It's hard to realize I've been using this system for almost 10 years. It's been a fun ride.
Nightengale

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stories! Mine was around 2000 or so. I noticed in the comp.sys.next.xxx newsgroups someone was selling NeXT hardware so I hooked up with him. He was in Washington state US. I traveled there and purchased 4 NeXT cubes, three mono monitors, 1 21" color, two laser printers, three sets of keyboard/mice/soundboxes, and several NS .8, .9 etc on OD, the NeXT cube brochure, three sets of NeXT publications, a NeXT CD ROM drive, and some other stuff I forgot about. Well I paid 500 USD for all of it and lugged it home. Low and behold one of the cubes had a dimension card in it. Got that machine running as a double-headed system. Played around with it for about a year and a half and sold the double-headed dimension cube for $1,500 on Ebay. Was a good deal. Still putting together the other cubes...
brams

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my first NeXT non Turbo colour slab with Fimi from Nottingham University in 1997 or something. I kept it for a while and decided I wanted a Turbo and a better monitor than the crappy Fimi which I took apart and got better focus out of it but it was still fuzzy as hell. So I order a Turbo slab complete from Randy Recksock in 2000 for 300 bucks (no HD or RAM or monitor). I bought an SGI GDM 4011P which I was gonna paint black.

Whilst I was waiting for it to come from the US, I saw another one in comp.sys.next.market place located in the UK (London). The seller luckily had relatives near where I live which is 250 miles out of London, I arranged a meet with him and bought it for 250 pounds, all in mint condition. I got an N2000 Laser, Turbo Colour slab, Sony 17" megapixel plus keyboard etc. When my lot arrived from the US I mixed and matched all the best stuff and put the other lot on eBay UK with the Fimi. I got a silly high price for it (I got about 700 pounds from memory). So basically from the profit I made I got to keep my slab inc Sony 17" for free.
dravier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my first slab over the summer of 2001. It came from a guy in the mid-west USA who had bought it from his business, but they cleaned the HD off and he never got around to buying NS for it. It is a nice turbo ADB color system that he shipped for almost free (and I paid very little on eBay due to the lack of OS). Well, I was off to look for a copy of NS on eBay... and a CD drive. A posting for a turbo mono with IBM external CD and a copy of NS 3.3 showed up a few weeks later. I won the lot for less than a copy of NS was going for at the time. A buddy of mine picked up the lot for me (to save the cost of shipping), mailed me the CD and copy of NS 3.3 and I was off. I later collected the mono station when I moved to Florida for a while (which was already planned and why he held onto the mono for me). So, no NeXT to two beautiful slabs in a summer... and all for under $300 Very Happy

Turbo Color slab NS 3.3

"a little rebellion now and then is a good thing"
- Thomas Jefferson
PowerPC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hearing these stories i feel so ripped of with my purchases Crying or Very sad - Joining the NeXT Fans as late as 2005 and having to buy my stuff completley over "ePay" Evil or Very Mad

Had to pay 160 Ä for my pre ADB Station (Configuration was the "normal" Station @25 mhz, Grayscalegraphics Monitor Mouse and Keyboard, 16 mb ram - NeXtStep 3.3 installed to HD, 700)

So this was my "worst" purchase - but I got the NeXT Laserprinter for 20 Ä, the CDROM for 50 Ä, as well as my ADB Station, sadly without peripherals (and still have to replace the HD in that one)

So I 've concluded: First of all prices for NeXT Stuff are rising, second to that - I had no luck Confused and finally: eBay Germany is a bad Place for purchasing NeXT Stuff, compared to offerings and prices in UK or US - so you guys should realy help me out Very Happy
dravier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to include me NeXT Laser printer... not a bad pick up but I have yet to get it working. I don't quite have the time to work on it.. and I'm not totally sure that I have the ability to do it either. I hope so, but none the less... I picked it up for under $50. Now if I could only find some one that's kind of local to refit it for a decent price...

Turbo Color slab NS 3.3

"a little rebellion now and then is a good thing"
- Thomas Jefferson
Jenne

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't tell if that was a good one but I got my 040 Cube with orginal floppy drive, 17" MegaPixeldisplay and original input devices for about 35 bucks, the NeXTstation (040, 25 MHz) with 17" Display, original HD and everything else for 60 bucks.

I'm just lacking the original OS installation media.

But I'm very happy anyway to got in posession of NeXT hardware over here in Switzerland. It isn't as easy as it might be in the U.S. ;-)

J
PowerPC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jenne wrote:
Can't tell if that was a good one but I got my 040 Cube with orginal floppy drive, 17" MegaPixeldisplay and original input devices for about 35 bucks, the NeXTstation (040, 25 MHz) with 17" Display, original HD and everything else for 60 bucks.

I'd say lucky you Smile Congratulations on that one (Regardless of "bucks" being Ä or Swiss Francs), at least from my point of view.
Jenne

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was Franks converted to US "bucks" ;-)

J
PowerPC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I just purchased (on ePay Sad ) an original NeXTStep 3.3 OS. Okay thats actually not hardware but anyway i would like your opinion. I agreed to pay 56,66 Ä for: Nextstep 3.3 ; Third Party Products for Nextstep 3.3;
Nextstep Developer Rel. 3.2; Enterprise Objects Framework 1.1; Nextstep Developer 3.3.

Thats the CDs & some Disks for the NeXTStep all in their original packing including installation guides and everything (according to description and photographs)
Shippingcosts have yet to be determined but what do you think? Is the pricing appropriate?
nextchef

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PowerPC wrote:
So I just purchased (on ePay Sad ) an original NeXTStep 3.3 OS. Okay thats actually not hardware but anyway i would like your opinion. I agreed to pay 56,66 Ä for: Nextstep 3.3 ; Third Party Products for Nextstep 3.3;
Nextstep Developer Rel. 3.2; Enterprise Objects Framework 1.1; Nextstep Developer 3.3.

Thats the CDs & some Disks for the NeXTStep all in their original packing including installation guides and everything (according to description and photographs)
Shippingcosts have yet to be determined but what do you think? Is the pricing appropriate?

Was that this auction, or the one at the end of last month.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEXTSTEP-3-3-for-Intel-Complete-Retail-Box-RARE_W0QQitemZ180034122702QQihZ008QQcategoryZ51046QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Chef
PowerPC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it was that one, a few minutes ago http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270034392425&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:DE:11 (hope thats the right one) - important stuff was translated by me before and Ä is 1.2 $ apparently Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: