NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
OmniWeb "vintage" browsing at its best

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nextchef

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject: OmniWeb "vintage" browsing at its best Reply with quote

Got network running on the ss5, so here is my required "post from OmniWeb".

Nothing like a "vintage" browsing experience to make you feel nostalgic. Reminds me of browsing with NCSA Mosaic back in the day.

Now all I need is a gopher client and the Fetch FTP client and I am set .. Wink
Run little doggie... Run....

Chef
RacerX

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: OmniWeb "vintage" browsing at its best Reply with quote

nextchef wrote:

Nothing like a "vintage" browsing experience to make you feel nostalgic. Reminds me of browsing with NCSA Mosaic back in the day.

Uh... which version of OmniWeb are you using? OmniWeb 1.0 is pretty Mosaic like, but OmniWeb 2.x is still a nice browser. In fact both OmniWeb 2.x and 3.x have many features I wish more browsers had today (which is why I still only use OmniWeb).

Quote:

Fetch is a Mac-only FTP client. I think you would be better off looking for something like RBrowser.
nextchef

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: OmniWeb "vintage" browsing at its best Reply with quote

RacerX wrote:
nextchef wrote:

Uh... which version of OmniWeb are you using? OmniWeb 1.0 is pretty Mosaic like, but OmniWeb 2.x is still a nice browser. In fact both OmniWeb 2.x and 3.x have many features I wish more browsers had today (which is why I still only use OmniWeb).

I installed both 1.x and 2.x, just to see what was up. Most every page I tried to go to was broken badly, or would not even load at all. Not that I was expecting much from such an old browser.

RacerX wrote:
Quote:

Fetch is a Mac-only FTP client. I think you would be better off looking for something like RBrowser.

Yea, I know it will not run on NS3.3. The whole talk of Mosaic got me thinking about the time before web browsers, when FTP and Gopher were state of the art. Going to school in the midwest, and hearing about what the guys were doing over at Champaign-Urbana, the web really was an exciting thing to watch emerge. The ability to be able to share your findings and experimental observations quickly, without having to wait months for the formal journal publication process, was amazing to me.

But enough of my drivel about the "good old days".

Chef
RacerX

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: OmniWeb "vintage" browsing at its best Reply with quote

nextchef wrote:
I installed both 1.x and 2.x, just to see what was up. Most every page I tried to go to was broken badly, or would not even load at all. Not that I was expecting much from such an old browser.

Hopefully the pages of my sites worked in OmniWeb 2.x... I know they work in OmniWeb 3.x as that is the browser that I used to help make them.

My first experience on the web was in the summer of 1994 when I was working at the Geometry Center. It was great. We all watched the web for the first images of the Shoemaker-Levy impacts on Jupiter.

I did most of my browsing in xmosaic on our SGIs (I didn't browse much with our NeXT systems back then).

Well, even if the Geometry Center itself isn't around anymore, the site still is (here). It was one of the first sites to show up on the web. You shouldn't have any issues there either.
brams

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: OmniWeb "vintage" browsing at its best Reply with quote

RacerX wrote:
My first experience on the web was in the summer of 1994 when I was working at the Geometry Center. It was great. We all watched the web for the first images of the Shoemaker-Levy impacts on Jupiter.

Hell yeah I remeber that, I was listening to the radio holding my breath, I recall being totally in awe of it, at the moment of the big one (impact J or somthing), I'd been reading about what they thought was gonna happen in the science magazines.

At the time they reckoned the energy released from the big one was something like 1000 times the combined nuclear arsenal of every country on Earth. Which kind of scared the shit out of me. iirc the energy released was something staggering like 500,000 yotawatts or something like being equal to the Suns energy output for 15 minuets.

I still have that article at home, it's got to have been the biggest bang in the neighbourhood since the year dot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: