NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Cube 68030 Scrambled video on boot

View previous topic :: View next topic  
krazycat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject: Cube 68030 Scrambled video on boot Reply with quote

Hi
I have a 68030 Cube with booting problems. After I replaced the caps, the cube starts to a scrambled screen and the red LED on the board is flashing 4 times fast. I also replaced the RAM and the CPU without luck. Does anyone have the electrical schematics of the 68030 board, or any idea how to solve it? The problem could be the nvram chip?
This board was previously stored in a box for 20 years, I don't know if it was working.
Here the screen at boot:
barcher174

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the LED code descriptions:

LED Blink Codes (LED on the logic board if system can not boot to ROM)
1,2 ROM CRC check failures
3 Bad VRAM
4 Bad NVRAM (The NVRAM store in the clock chip)
5 No usable DRAM

Try removing the battery and reseating the ROM chip. Did you desolder the CPU? I've never seen a socketed 68030. There are no schematics for this board.
krazycat

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barcher174 wrote:
Here are the LED code descriptions:

LED Blink Codes (LED on the logic board if system can not boot to ROM)
1,2 ROM CRC check failures
3 Bad VRAM
4 Bad NVRAM (The NVRAM store in the clock chip)
5 No usable DRAM

Try removing the battery and reseating the ROM chip. Did you desolder the CPU? I've never seen a socketed 68030. There are no schematics for this board.

Thanks for codes Brian.
Sorry for the mistaken, I was wrong to write. I also replaced the RAM and the ROM (NOT the CPU) but I did not have luck... Embarassed
barcher174

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience with these symptoms has unfortunately not been good. I've seen this with bad CPU's and with bad NeXT ASICs. Both require a significant amount of effort to rework. If you don't have an emotional attachment to the board it may be easier to buy a new one. You can see an example here:

http://www.nextcomputers.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3875&highlight=led+code
krazycat

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barcher174 wrote:
My experience with these symptoms has unfortunately not been good. I've seen this with bad CPU's and with bad NeXT ASICs. Both require a significant amount of effort to rework. If you don't have an emotional attachment to the board it may be easier to buy a new one.

Thanks for your support, I'm not particularly attached to this board so if the replacement of the MC68HC68 Real-Time Clock (a SO16L chip) will have no effect, I'll look for another motherboard.
Does anyone have a working 68030 board to sell at a reasonable price? Mr. Green
Rob Blessin Black Hole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Krazycat: I've had that happen with non compatible ram, try putting the old ram back in.... I have a 68030 25Mhz for $99 or with new professionally replaced caps $164 , tested / compatible ram $1 a mb in sets of 4. Also which version of the rom did you use as 030's tend to be finicky? Best regards Rob Blessin
krazycat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Blessin Black Hole wrote:
Hello Krazycat: I've had that happen with non compatible ram, try putting the old ram back in.... I have a 68030 25Mhz for $99 or with new professionally replaced caps $164 , tested / compatible ram $1 a mb in sets of 4. Also which version of the rom did you use as 030's tend to be finicky? Best regards Rob Blessin

Hi Rob, for testing I used RAM and ROM Release 1.1 from a working 030 cube from a friend of mine. Thanks for your offer, if after the last tests my board will not work, I will write to you to buy a $ 99 board.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Black Hardware All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: