NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Reinstalling NeXTStep

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hexloo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reinstalling NeXTStep Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I have a NeXTStation (non color) that has a failed hard disk. I'm going to replace it with SCSI2SD most likely but I'm not entirely sure how I'm going to reinstall the OS. From what I gather I need to obtain an external SCSI drive and most of them should work. Am I right regarding this? I've searched but am not sure. Also, what's the best way to get some install media? Thanks
Rob Blessin Black Hole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello NeXT Community: I have original NeXTSTEP 3.0,3.1,3.2 and 3.3 http://stores.ebay.com/blackholeinccomputerpowwownext or

I can drop box images for easy download for $25 for User or User, developer Y2k for $40 or

I sell preconfigured scsi codesrc sd2 for $139 for 4 Gb includes Choice of NeXTSTEP 3.3 or Openstep User, developer and y2k patches with some apps on a standard ultra micro sd or for $199 , I load it up with hundreds of cool NeXT applications on an extreme pro card.

Where you would buy scsi sd card direct I think they are about $70 and the learning curve of configuration , which I am happy to help with I have had better success with Version 5 than version 6 cards . The key here is the configuration file set up and a few threads on this forums help with the setup but it can be an adventure.

This would be for version 5 cards, I can drop box the iso images you can DD to your SCSIsd2 microsd card using my secret sauce including step by step instructions with configuration file $75 and be off and running in minutes.

I can ship global US $7 and international $16

I have sold hundreds of them , recommend the extreme pro cards as they are 10 to 15 times faster.

I also have permission to do this from Apple legal and many of the original authors.

I can accept payment through paypal.

I also made step by step how to install NeXTSTEP video from Cd here the easy way on my youtube channel .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Xt-PdJN8_8&t=19s Best regards Rob Blessin
hexloo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Blessin Black Hole wrote:
Hello NeXT Community: I have original NeXTSTEP 3.0,3.1,3.2 and 3.3 http://stores.ebay.com/blackholeinccomputerpowwownext or

I can drop box images for easy download for $25 for User or User, developer Y2k for $40 or

I sell preconfigured scsi codesrc sd2 for $139 for 4 Gb includes Choice of NeXTSTEP 3.3 or Openstep User, developer and y2k patches with some apps on a standard ultra micro sd or for $199 , I load it up with hundreds of cool NeXT applications on an extreme pro card.

Where you would buy scsi sd card direct I think they are about $70 and the learning curve of configuration , which I am happy to help with I have had better success with Version 5 than version 6 cards . The key here is the configuration file set up and a few threads on this forums help with the setup but it can be an adventure.

This would be for version 5 cards, I can drop box the iso images you can DD to your SCSIsd2 microsd card using my secret sauce including step by step instructions with configuration file $75 and be off and running in minutes.

I can ship global US $7 and international $16

I have sold hundreds of them , recommend the extreme pro cards as they are 10 to 15 times faster.

I also have permission to do this from Apple legal and many of the original authors.

I can accept payment through paypal.

I also made step by step how to install NeXTSTEP video from Cd here the easy way on my youtube channel .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Xt-PdJN8_8&t=19s Best regards Rob Blessin

Hey Rob, thanks. I have a SCSI2SD that I'm using and I've modified some settings to fit the NeXT I found in another thread. It appears to be working, but I'm having exception errors with the floppy drive which I believe to be damaged (chassis is bent and it won't read drives). Do you have any NeXTStation floppy drives? Much appreciated

edit: I actually appeared to have successfully repaired the diskette drive and it's reading from it. Is there any way to install NeXT with only floppies? The boot disk looks for CDROM but I don't have any SCSI CDROM drives. If not, I'll have to buy one. Either way, I can only find isos for the Intel install and not m68k. Anyone know where m68k isos are available? (If this is not allowed, just remove that from the post sorry)
bobo68

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are NEXTSTEP images on the web, e.g. at http://www.winworldpc.com

I have never tried this but you should be able to define two "drives" on one SD card with scsi2sd-util. The first one should have enough room so you can just dd (binary copy) the image onto the SD card staring with block 0 using a modern computer. Then you should be able to boot from that image and install onto the second "drive" on the same SD card.

Haven't tried it though.
hexloo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobo68 wrote:
There are NEXTSTEP images on the web, e.g. at http://www.winworldpc.com

I have never tried this but you should be able to define two "drives" on one SD card with scsi2sd-util. The first one should have enough room so you can just dd (binary copy) the image onto the SD card staring with block 0 using a modern computer. Then you should be able to boot from that image and install onto the second "drive" on the same SD card.

Haven't tried it though.

I have the machine finally working now actually. What I did was take an install image that was made in Previous from winworldpc and just image it onto the SD card and the system is working now. Any suggestions for cool things I should try? Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Black Hardware All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: