NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
NEXTSTEP 3.3 on HP 9000 712/100

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Sun / HPPA Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
commodorejohn

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 11:16 pm    Post subject: NEXTSTEP 3.3 on HP 9000 712/100 Reply with quote

I picked up this nice little PA-RISC pizza-box a while back and, since I have bigger, badder hardware for experimenting with HP-UX and current BSDs don't seem to get along with the 712s, I've been thinking it'd be fun to try running NEXTSTEP on it. I can successfully boot the install disk, set up the hard drive, and get all the way through the graphical installer, but when I try to boot the new install, I get the issue a few other people seem to have encountered here where it hangs indefinitely at "starting file service daemons."

I've tried the suggested fix of deleting /etc/netinfo and /etc/hostconfig and copying them over from the templates folder, but all this does is get the system booting from the NEXTSTEP graphical console instead of the HP framebuffer console - the boot process errors out in exactly the same way. I've also tried poking around in /etc/rc and commenting out the commands under the "file service daemons" section, but this just causes the boot process to choke entirely at that point and kick me to a single-user prompt.

Can anybody weigh in on what might be causing this issue, and how to fix it? The hell of it is, I actually had NEXTSTEP successfully booting from a different hard drive, but the installer got confused by the existence of a 9GB disk and decided it was actually a 200MB disk, so I repurposed that for one of my SGI systems. I've tried two other 2GB disks that the installer recognizes and works with happily enough, and both of them give the same erroneous result described above.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Sun / HPPA Hardware All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: