NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
OS 4.2 / VMWare 5 - Mouse Gone Crazy
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Emulation / Virtualization
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Ksoft

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject: OS 4.2 / VMWare 5 - Mouse Gone Crazy Reply with quote

Hello, I recently found a copy of Openstep 4.2 and installed it on VMWare, since I don't have any hardware right now that's compatible. I have it all installed properly with video drivers, but I can't use it at all. This is because after a few minutes, then the mouse goes crazy every few seconds. It will start flying across the screen and randomly sending mouseclicks, even if I'm not touching the mouse. It moves my windows all over the screen and does this forever unless I press Ctrl+Alt and take the mouse focus out of the VM. Then it fixes itself until I give VMware the mouse again. It happens again.

What's going on? I've heard this happens on real hardware too, so is there a fixed driver/OS patch/anything out there to help? Thanks.
brams

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I used NS 3.3 & OS 4.2 under VMware 3.5 & 4 point somthing and had exactly the same trouble as you have. I looked into the matter and it seems there is no fix, however it seems only VMware for Windows is affected, VMware Linux does not have the issue so I read a few times.

I've also read about the PS2 mouse bug in OPENSTEP but never experienced it on a PC, I believe the fix was to use a serial mouse.
Mr Ksoft

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, that's a shame. I'll have to see if I can even GET VMware to work on my Linux partition...

Just a thought though, does this happen on Virtual PC/Qemu/other x86 emulators? I have VPC 2004 and Qemu that I might try.
brams

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lastest version I was able to get VPC working was under VPC 7 on Mac OS X.

Never used any other emmulators.

You could install OS 4.2 on a partition could you not?, that's what I did on my Vaio XG700.

Cheers
brams
Mr Ksoft

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've already had a bad time with partitions, and I don't think my hardware is supported. I have an Athlon 64 3500+, 1 GB RAM, and some integrated ATI Radeon Xpress card. I don't think OS supports it. My other computer I could possibly use it on is a 486, but it doesn't have enough RAM. And my brother won't let me use his P2 450. So unless I find a computer at a garage sale, I'm stuck with virtualness.
helf

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could get ram for your 486 off ebay for like 5 bucks. I bough 64mb of 72pinn edo off ebay and only payed about 12 dollars including shipping..
brams

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Do you have Norton Ghost 2003? & Partition Magic?, I used them and have my XG700 quad booting OS 4.2, W2K, BeOS 5.0.3 & BeOS Dano 5.1. It was fairly painless, I backed up the W2K part with Ghost and then set too with Partition Magic.

No idea if it works with AMD64 but you'll probably be out of luck due to the chip set if it's an nForce mobo. PII's run very nice with OS 4.2 and a 266 can be had for free almost.
Morgon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: OS 4.2 / VMWare 5 - Mouse Gone Crazy Reply with quote

Mr Ksoft wrote:

I recently found a copy of Openstep 4.2 and installed it on VMWare
This is because after a few minutes, then the mouse goes crazy every few seconds. It will start flying across the screen and randomly sending mouseclicks, even if I'm not touching the mouse. It moves my windows all over the screen and does this forever unless I press Ctrl+Alt and take the mouse focus out of the VM. Then it fixes itself until I give VMware the mouse again. It happens again.

Hello,

I had the same problem when installing OS4.2 in VMware (v 4.5/5.0/5.5). Fortunately in January VMware published the sources of their vmmouse driver for xorg on the xorg source tree and I was able to write a port to NeXTStep/OpenStep.

With this driver the mouse works very smooth. It also enables the automatic ungrab when you leave the window of the virtual machine but not the automatic grabbing as that also requires an appropriate display driver using hardware cursors.

You can find my driver here.

I hope this driver will work in your intallation as well as it does in mine :)

Greetings
Morgon
brams

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there

Thanks very much!, I'm going to try VMware again.

Regards
Mick Bramley
mk_schmidt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff, Morgon! Which drivers did you use for VMware 5.x? After the basic installation I am not able to boot the system.
vfs_mountroot error=19
panic (Cpu 0) vfs_mountroot cannot mount root

Any ideas?
mk_schmidt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bad, messed up the driver config. Base install is complete and going to test your VMware driver now.
mk_schmidt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! You the man! Works like a charm! Can trash the dog slow Virtual PC images.:-)

I installed the VMware display driver after the basis installation and in case you run a res > 640 x 480, you have to adjust the values for the Vmware mouse driver (expoert options, Configure.app).
Morgon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mk_schmidt wrote:

in case you run a res > 640 x 480, you have to adjust the values for the Vmware mouse driver (expoert options, Configure.app).

Hello mk_schmidt,

you should be able to set the resolution values for VMMouse using the fields provided by the configuration interface for the driver in Configure.app. If that doesn't work for you I should have a look on it again as it worked in my installation.

Greetings
Morgon

PS: Maybe you'll encounter network problems with OpenStep inside VMware (v 5.0/5.5) when using the detected AMD driver. If that occurs drop a note and I will put a port of the linux vmx network driver into my download directory I've done earlier.
But as this driver is far more complicate than the mouse driver it can be seen only as a very early beta stage and may have some bugs. That's the cause I didn't upload it anywhere at this point.
rab

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse driver works great here under xp and vmware 5.

thanks

About time for a new install guide for openstep under vmware. Has anyone got networking and sound working yet?
tomaz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a pretty up-to-date guide on installing OpenStep 4.2 on vmWare prepared if it would be of interest to anybody.

Morgon has great drivers not only for PS/2 mouse but also for networking under vmWare, which work very well for me.

He also has a sound driver which works for him but I haven't been able to get it to work yet on my machine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Emulation / Virtualization All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: