NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
LuBu OpenMagic: Openstep 1.1 on Solaris 10
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Sun / HPPA Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
itomato

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: LuBu OpenMagic: Openstep 1.1 on Solaris 10 Reply with quote

Just installed LuBu OpenMagic on my Ultra 10.. Running Firefox, WorkspaceManager, Acrobat Reader 7, GIMP, Mail.app (oops - Mail.app is b0rken..), et cetera - all happily together!

http://freshmeat.net/projects/openmagic/

From a README:
Quote:

LuBu OpenMagic 1.0 is a heavily modified version of the Lighthouse OpenStep 1.1
release for the Sparc platform. It is not a theme, nor a reconfiguration, but
an almost pure rewrite of non-binary files (runtime configurations, application
definitions, enviroment variables, and many functions). In some parts entire functions
have been replaced features have been added.

Won't run on Solaris X86.
nextchef

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how does it perform? How well does it run original NS/OS apps?

Does this have the same processor limitations as NS/OS, or can I run it on newer hardware than the SS10/5/20 line. The docs are not very specific on that point, but it may be obvious to someone more "in the know" concerning Sun machines.

Chef
itomato

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far so good..

I haven't had much opportunity to work with it yet, and there aren't all that many Openstep apps for Solaris. Preview works OK.. Preferences is kind of buggy, but it's nice to have Workspace Manager!!

The "feel" is different. It's not like a NeXT machine at all. It's as if GNUStep (GWorkspace, etc) were re-implemented with Motif.. They call Solaris "Slowaris" for a good reason..

The weirdness of it could be due to my hardware (440MHz, and running in 256 colors right now..)

I don't think there are any hardware limitations/ requirements. The newer Sparc machines running Solaris 10 might run LuBu.

It would be nice if Solaris 8 was a good bit nippier, and LuBu would still run..
nextchef

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

itomato wrote:
So far so good..

I haven't had much opportunity to work with it yet, and there aren't all that many Openstep apps for Solaris. Preview works OK.. Preferences is kind of buggy, but it's nice to have Workspace Manager!!

The "feel" is different. It's not like a NeXT machine at all. It's as if GNUStep (GWorkspace, etc) were re-implemented with Motif.. They call Solaris "Slowaris" for a good reason..

The weirdness of it could be due to my hardware (440MHz, and running in 256 colors right now..)

I don't think there are any hardware limitations/ requirements. The newer Sparc machines running Solaris 10 might run LuBu.

It would be nice if Solaris 8 was a good bit nippier, and LuBu would still run..

That is unfortunate. I was excited about the possibility of getting the "look and feel" of NeXT, and being able to run newer apps like firefox, but if the "feel" is not right, then I do not know. What Sun system are you running it on? I have a SS5-170/24b running Solaris 2.6 that I could try it on, but would it be so slow to be unbearable.

Chef
itomato

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Systems/U10/spec.html

A 440MHz Ultra 10, 256MB RAM, onboard FrameBuffer.

I imagine optimizing the framebuffer settings will help, but it's no NeXT box. It doesn't have the interface-to-hardware integration that you can sense on a NeXT - even a mono slab..
dlundh

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the " don't knock it till you tried it"-department I installed Solaris 8 on an Ultra 10 and proceeded to install OpenMagic.

First of all, it IS OpenStep, which is nice. Second, just having the option to ditch CDE and OpenWindows is a huge, huge benefit. And being able to run straight up Solaris binaries intermixed with OpenStep is yummy.

I'd say the "look" part of look & feel is spot on. Where it falls apart is on the "feel" side of things. It is nowhere near as slick as OPENSTEP/Mach on Sparc and window behaviour is just plain wrong at times.

Still, it paints a pretty picture on Solaris and I much prefer it to CDE and OW - from now on I'm putting it on every Solaris system I manage - but a replacement for OPENSTEP/Mach it is not.

I have an Ultra 60 with a much nicer gfx card that I have started installing, come monday I'll know if the graphics feel snappier. Having faster gfx will, sadly, not do anything about the "feel" part though.
kronoman

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. Gotta play around with this. If I can get it to be sufficiently performant, it might displace XFCE or KDE as my Solaris DE of choice.

The other thing I wonder about is using pieces of this, but Window Maker as the WM. Not sure... Gotta try it!

I have a U10, U2 and soon a U60 to test this on, all have FFB cards. FFB2 for the U10, FFB1 (soon FFB2+) on the U2, and 2 FFB2+ for the U60.
helf

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slightly off topic...

I always wondered why people called slowlaris, slowlaris.. Now I know!

I finally bought a 13w3 to vga adapter and booted my ss20 up with sol8.. its slow as crap to load anything... and its a dual 75 supersparc with 256mb of ram.
MacG4

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

helf wrote:
slightly off topic...

I always wondered why people called slowlaris, slowlaris.. Now I know!

I finally bought a 13w3 to vga adapter and booted my ss20 up with sol8.. its slow as crap to load anything... and its a dual 75 supersparc with 256mb of ram.
ive got the same sparc 20 setup
Venture37

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I maxed out my dual 300mhz Ultra 2 with 2GB of RAM, solaris 8 now feels snappier!
AStar617

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have to give this a try soon on some hardware with some more "oomph"...

(eyeing dual UltraSPARC-III+ 900MHz/8mb cache Sun Blade 2000 with 4gb RAM and 10k FC-AL disks Very Happy)
Venture37

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just revisited the site again, looks like the developer hasn't taken the Oracle/Sun deal too well!

Quote:
Since Sun has been bought by Oracle, I am really not
sure if it is worth the effort. Porting to OpenSolaris
is not an option, and OpenMagic does not run on x8

Quote: