NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
what other things are you guys into?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
weps

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:15 am    Post subject: what other things are you guys into? Reply with quote

as i've been kicking around the idea of some next stuff, it is yet another vintage thing i seem to like. along with that go some 60's and 70's ford broncos and more spare parts than i care to think about right now. (actually i sold a complete truck not too long ago and i swear the garage looked less crowded after it left.) i do like the 4x4 and outdoor aspects though which has also led me vintage mountain bikes. used to ride alot when younger, but a recent accident/injury might put an end to that.

either way, one thing they all seem to have in common is innovative and efficeint design for their period.

so far, i've learned a lot here and have several posts out there and i do appreciate. thanks. Smile
nextchef

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I am into classic cars, specifically Ford Mustangs. I have had a 65, 66, 89 (not vintage, daily driver). My daily driver now is a 2005 Mustang GT, and I have a '66 in the garage that is waiting for the "restomod" treatment, when funds allow.

Car parts, or computer parts .. next cube or set of high flow injectors .. it can be quite a problem at times to decide where the budget goes (computer stuff been winning lately).

Chef
blackcube

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was into restoring cars but as I get older, the thought of lying on my back in a pool of gear lube or wrestling a transmission into a clutch plate that doesn't want to line up properly seems less and less inviting.

Now days my automotive adventures are limited to oil changes, routine maint, and recently replacing cats on my two Mercedes. I have been kicking around the idea of buying two new toys. I've been lloking at Catalina sailboats of 27 ft or so and either a Triumph or BMW motorcycle. I sold my last scoot in 1990, a Triumph Bonneville and I do miss two wheeling. In the 80's I had up to 15 or 20 bikes at one time in my garage.
brams

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big into cars, it's my job and my hobby as well, as I work on new cars Jaguar, Bentley and soon Bugatti I tend to enjoy working with older cars as an hobby, I've had a few classics in my time which I've restored myself except for paint and trim, though I do the body, panel beating and welding. Last car I restored was a Triumph Stag. I'm buying a house atm so when and if I will get chance and money to do another project I have no idea, though I'd love a Ferrari 308qv/328 GTS as the shape of the car is just pure sexy.

I adore American muscle cars I'd love a real Shelby Mustang GT350 66 or 67 model year, I'd also like a 440 Challenger R/T or 426 R/T Hemi, or if I was ever loaded enough, a Plymouth 'Cuda, one of my dream cars is a 1970 Plymouth HemiCuda

Other than that I love to read biographies and like to read about science and Sci-Fi. I'm crazy about 3 TV shows Star Trek and Star Gate SG1 & Atlantis.

But most of my time I seem to muck about with computers as it's all I can afford right now.

I like to muck about with Hi-Fi gear and am considering building a tube amp at the moment.

I like to partying and going to music festivals and getting drunk as well Smile
RacerX

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently... mathematics.

In the past...
    From 1981 to 1991, and again for about a year in 1996/97, I was very interested in Track and Field. I was lucky enough to have some of the best coaches, and (back then) had raced 6 of the 10 fastest 110 meter hurdlers ever (I thing the list is down to 3 of the 10 fastest these days). I got back into it for a short time in 1996 when I was asked to be an assistant coach for a college team (I coached the sprints and jumps).

From 1986 to 1997 I was very much into Porsches. I got my first in 1986 when I was 18, and owned four of them between 86 and 97 (two 914s, one 911 and one 911 Targa). I loved 914s most of all, specially seeing as they were very close to Ferry Porsche's heart. The 914 was a design he had wanted to put forward many years earlier but couldn't because until the late 1960s Porsche got much of their parts from VW. The original Bug was Porsche's design that he sold to VW to pay for the release of his cousin from a French prison for war crimes... those crimes being the building of vehicles for Germany during WWII. Part of what I liked about the 914 was that (like Rhapsody) it was under appreciated by so many people.

From 1977 to 1986, and again from 1989 to 1991 (and still as a hobby today) I was into physics. I was mainly interested in theoretical physics and enjoyed General Relativity, Quantum Field Theory and Gauge Theories. When I started college in 1989 I was a physics major, but by 1991 I had change majors to mathematics.

From 1990 to today I've been obsessed with mathematics. I currently specialize in aspects of Differential Topology and Differential Geometry. I've done research in tight immersions of surfaces, homotopy theory and a historical look at vector displacement on manifolds (recreating Levi-Civita's original concepts and showing how they are analogous to connections on tangent bundles). Currently (when I'm not doing my homework) I have been working on a technique for deforming immersed (differentiable) 2-manifolds in Euclidean three space. The technique is based in part on Whitney's excellent mappings of surfaces onto the plane.

From 1997 to today, well, computers. And while I had used many different types before 1997 (Apple, SGI, Sun and NeXT), I wasn't that interested in them as there wasn't a lot you could do with them in my area of mathematics (and that is pretty much still true today). When I came to Minnesota (taking an unplanned break from my graduate course work) I found that I seemed to pick up the basics pretty easily. To keep things challenging I stuck mainly with minority platforms. As the platform gets smaller, problem solving becomes more difficult. Macs were nice, Silicon Graphics was even better, and NeXT was even better than that. And Rhapsody became the best of all as (currently) it is about the smallest platform I know of. Which is great as it means that when something goes wrong with my systems, I pretty much have only me to turn to... sort of computing without a net, I can't just fall back on anyone else.
I think that pretty much covers my major interests. There are other smaller ones, like Star Trek... I paid for a year of school with blueprints I had made of the USS Excelsior back in 1991, and I did the plans for the shuttlecraft interior set for Starship Exeter (these plans match the original interior set, which didn't actually fit within the original exterior shuttlecraft... pretty much all other references attempt to reconcile the two, but we wanted the interior set to look identical to the original series).

Oh, and I used to get paid for building models back between 1983 and 1993 (the plans for the Excelsior weren't originally meant to be sold as plans, they were for me to build a scratch built version... seeing as there were no model kits at that time and no blue prints of it either).
Ashman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I grew up in the 80's when cars pretty much sucked and I never cared much for older models... To some the 57 Chevy is a work of art. To me, it's pretty much butt ugly. I realize that I may be in the minority there, but each to his own...

And, since I grew up in the age of Atari 2600 and Apple ][e's, I've pretty much been a computer geek since birth. So, instead of fixing up old junkers better left by the side of the road, I've lately been acquiring and fixing up older computers that I drooled over when I was younger (some of which might have been better left to the dumpster in some cases...)

I've just gotten my NeXTStation up and running. Along with that I've recently acquired a bunch of SGI machines. (An Indy, Indigo2, and Octane 2. The Octane has 3 32Gig hard drives and 3 video cards so I can run a 3 monitor setup with it, but I took one of the video cards out because the lights were dimming when I plugged it in. Smile ) So I've been working on getting all of those up and running as well...

Outside of that, I'm engaged and my fiance has twin 11 year old girls, so keeping up with the 3 women in my life takes a lot of my free time. Very Happy
Jenne

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a freelance journalist and that is why many of my private interests mix up with my job in man different ways.

Riding my motorbike and exploring Switzerland is my major "pleasure" when time allows me to do so. I'm making QuickTime VR panoramas of the places I've been to, in between I'm quite fond of watching birds and making photographs of them.

As mentioned before I'm a journalist writing several articles about (who wonders) Apple related topics such as hard- and software reviews. Therefor I'm always having a look on new products in my spare and work time which once led me to my private hobby: collecting some computer stuff documentated on my domain.

To compensate the "unhealthy" work behind the displays I'm also giving lots of my time to the firefighters here in Switzerland.

J
ash

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mostly live and breathe computers... except when I'm messing with electronics...

I like to try to work on my Audi, although some projects seem a bit too daunting without a garage. I also like to cook some great meals.
blackcube

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ashman wrote:
Outside of that, I'm engaged and my fiance has twin 11 year old girls, so keeping up with the 3 women in my life takes a lot of my free time. Very Happy

I can relate. I have three daughters 13, 8 and 7. Factor in my wife and I live in an estrogen buble. Even the freaking cats are female.
brams

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackcube wrote:
I can relate. I have three daughters 13, 8 and 7. Factor in my wife and I live in an estrogen buble. Even the freaking cats are female.

Ouch!, no wonder you have so many computers..... Wink
Jenne

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank god I'm married and have no kids, but a male cat.

And still quite a bunch of computers.

Shall I worry? Shocked Surprised Laughing

J
Ashman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, they've got a female cat too... But so do I...

All in all, I'm the sole testosterone counterpoint in the whole group. Very Happy
nextchef

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brams wrote:
blackcube wrote:

Ouch!, no wonder you have so many computers..... Wink

He could always build a wall of all the systems and hide behind them. Should make an effective fort, considering all the stuff he has.

You could try to convert them, at least the two yonger ones. I just picked up a Newton emate 300 from a local school auction, and my 6 year old loves it. She thinks it is the greatest thing in the world, well at least for right now. She loves to draw with the stylus, put animation bubbles over peoples heads and insert text-boxes inside them for words. And when she found the stencils it has of dogs, cats, horses .. she was hooked. It does not even bother her that it is not in color like my tablet is, it is fun and she enjoys it.

Chef
PowerPC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackcube wrote:

Don't worry - statisticly you're fine 'cause guys like me with neither wife/fiance/girlfriend/&c Sad nor female cat Razz even you out.

What i'm into? 'course i love my car too - BMW 318i (E30 1987), yes there was a time when they built great machines. (got only one, but she eats most of my money so affording two of them would be out of question)

I love cooking, drinkin' beer or watching tv series (in moment Battlestar Galactica 's the best i think)
Oh 'nd brams 's right - HIFI is important (try to build one of those http://www.taelektroakustik.de/eng/ta2/x_system/v_10_-_amp.htm )
brams

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PowerPC wrote:
What i'm into? 'course i love my car too - BMW 318i (E30 1987), yes there was a time when they built great machines. (got only one, but she eats most of my money so affording two of them would be out of question)

Love BMW's E30, one of the nicest looking cars of the 80's, esp the 325i M Technik, of course the M3 Evo is awsome as well.

Gotta say in my opinion, BMW probably make the sweetest petrol engines in the world, esp the Motorsport powerplants (6 banger in the E46 M3 is simply brilliant), Honda (V-Tec)make the best 4 cylinder units though.

PowerPC wrote:
I love cooking, drinkin' beer or watching tv series (in moment Battlestar Galactica 's the best i think) Oh 'nd brams 's right - HIFI is important (try to build one of those http://www.taelektroakustik.de/eng/ta2/x_system/v_10_-_amp.htm )

That amp looks very interesting, looks very very powerful as well for a tube amp. I'm thinking of making something a little less powerful than that, probably with KT88's, something with about 45 watts RMS as I intend to use with a couple of small bookshelf monitors for listening to more vocal stuff and acoustic. I was thinking of getting one of these kits as they get really good reviews and I like to tinker, they are easy to sell as well as they are made out of decent stuff, there are a few hacks for them and you don't have to buy the complete kit, thus if you want better quality caps etc you can without paying for the ones you don't want to use.

http://www.world-designs.co.uk/acatalog/AmpKits.html

For going silly and playing rock and house and electronic/dance I have a couple of classic Marantz PM94's which are these monsterous MOS-FET 150 watt RMS class A/A-B transistor amps which are bi-amped into a couple of Linn Keilidhs, the amps are wonderful beasts from the late 1980's (I paid 4000 US in 1989 for them) and are at least as good as anything made by Krell or Mark Levinson. Not one IC in sight inside them, they are made totally out of discreet components.

http://www.quarter-a.netfirms.com/pm-94_digital.htm

I've got the matching CD player which is a Marantz CD-94 that I've modded with a 16 bit 4 times oversampling double crown DAC and a few fancy Rubycon Blackgate caps, it really is the business, the CD player weighs in at about 20 kilos! most of which is the transport.

I was thinking of maybe getting some Linn Aktiv crossovers as well for the speakers just for the hell of it, but people have warned me it's not what it's supposed to be, and the set up is quite rare and somthing I've never actually heard, but the idea turns me on and Linn TuneBoxes with Aktiv cards cost a bit even on eBay so I decided I'd make a tube amp as watching the glow of the electrons hitting the glass wall of the tube is cool with the lights off, esp when your drunk listening to decent music.

I'd also love a reel to reel a Tascam or ReVox B77 just 'cos they look so damn cool.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: