NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
what other things are you guys into?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PowerPC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice - my equipment is somewhat less exclusive but performes just fine; most's Sony (QS Series though, except Dat-Cassette - that's an ES) - Speakers are T&A Criterion TAL 130 Smile (think the best affordable speakers are T&A or B&W) and 'course a Thorens Vinyl Disk Player.
Ashman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually went eMate wild a while back. I think I have 5 of them. 3 or 4 in working order (repaired hinges and all) and one or two of them for parts. I can't keep track. Smile
brams

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PowerPC wrote:
Nice - my equipment is somewhat less exclusive but performes just fine; most's Sony (QS Series though, except Dat-Cassette - that's an ES) - Speakers are T&A Criterion TAL 130 Smile (think the best affordable speakers are T&A or B&W) and 'course a Thorens Vinyl Disk Player.

Wow you like vinyl then, the only stuff I left on 12" is house/disco/electronic so I use a Technics SL1210mk2, in fact I have 2 of them as I used to DJ before I moved abroad, well back in the early 90's anyway, that kind of music does not really warrant a delicate turntable. Back in the 80's I used to have a Linn Sondek LP12 which was a truly awsome turntable (mine was middle of the road spec of 1970's vintage as I got it 2nd hand) but with a moving coil in it it was wonderfully involving with decent music like Yes, Pink Floyd & The Who. They still make them today and a decent modern LP12 will knock the spots of CD players but you will pay dearly for it.

DAT never really took off over here in the UK, a lot of studios used it but domestically we had too many competeing formats DAT, DCC & Mini Disk.

I once had a Sony DAT Walkman TCD-D3 which was wonderful and the first portable, I unfortunatley lost it at a rave/warehouse party back in 1991 whilst it was plugged into the mixer, place got raided in the early hours of the morning and we had to run like hell to avoid the cops & dogs.
PowerPC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vinyl's great. Fortunately, mostly in UK they press new Discs - exspecially Rough Trade does a magnificent job here but others as well. Very Happy
Nightengale

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nextchef wrote:
Well, I am into classic cars, specifically Ford Mustangs. I have had a 65, 66, 89 (not vintage, daily driver). My daily driver now is a 2005 Mustang GT, and I have a '66 in the garage that is waiting for the "restomod" treatment, when funds allow.

Car parts, or computer parts .. next cube or set of high flow injectors .. it can be quite a problem at times to decide where the budget goes (computer stuff been winning lately).

Chef

Don't be hating big brother (GT) but I have a '07 V6 pony package soft top. What kind of mods have you done to your '05?
itomato

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old(er) European Autos:

Just picked up a 1976 BMW 2002; Weber 32/36, factory air car (no air now).. Originally Sienna Braun, buried under several different paint schemes (all non-BMW)

Have had numerous VWs (Bug, Bus, Ghia, Rabbit (diesel), Jetta (diesel), Cabby) and Volvos (142, 164)

Nothing compares to the smell of gasoline and horsehair..
helf

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats pretty cool, itomato.

Lately, I've been getting into cars more. i bought a '79 Triumph Spitfire awhile back. haven't had the cash to work on it much...

http://flickr.com/photos/helfer
brams

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

helf wrote:
Thats pretty cool, itomato.

Lately, I've been getting into cars more. i bought a '79 Triumph Spitfire awhile back. haven't had the cash to work on it much...

http://flickr.com/photos/helfer

Triumph's, used to love them, one of my favorite British marques, I've had a Stag and a Dolomite Sprint. Never had a Spit but one of my friends had a Mk III 1300 back in the early 80's. Have you seen the GT 6?, like a coupe Spit but with a 6 pot engine and better rear suspension. Not sure if you are aware but the Spit suffers the same ill handling as the Chevrolet Corvair with the outside rear wheel tucking under during highspeed cornering, resulting in very positive camber and loss of grip. Spit used 1 transverse leaf spring at the rear. GT 6 had a better design and I think it can be retro fitted, if you plan on driving quick that is.

Yours looks nice, not sure if I like the bumpers, those Americanised bumpers look to big when your used to the UK spec cars.
helf

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I love the car :)

I knew it had handling issues at higher speeds, But I didn't know the cause.
The guy I bought the spitfire off of had a '69 (I believe) GT6, those things are gorgeous. I'll look into that bit about retrofitting a gt6 suspension to a spit.

I've only had it about 2 months now. I had an '83 RX-7... let's just say the poor thing is a bit flatter than it was initially...

And no, I don't like the bumpers at all. That stupid law that came up in ~76-78 mandating 5mph (I think) bumpers really screwed the looks on several cars... I plan on removing those and getting some nice, older style metalic ones fitted or just nice rubber + metal ones that are MUCH smaller.

I've only been into cars since July... Smile Got my license on June ~25th, RX-7 on July 7th, then the spitfire mid August... I'm having to learn everything about cars...
brams

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

helf wrote:
And no, I don't like the bumpers at all. That stupid law that came up in ~76-78 mandating 5mph (I think) bumpers really screwed the looks on several cars... I plan on removing those and getting some nice, older style metalic ones fitted or just nice rubber + metal ones that are MUCH smaller.

I've only been into cars since July... Smile Got my license on June ~25th, RX-7 on July 7th, then the spitfire mid August... I'm having to learn everything about cars...

Yeah that stupid law wrecked the look of a lot of cars, it made the MGB look horrible and spolied the look of the Jaguar XJ-S, look what they did to the Series 2 & 3 Jaguar E-Type (XKE) compared to the S1.

British motors from that time are very easy to fix and very reliable, I'd not think you'll have many problems that can't be fixed with a basic tool kit and an afternoon. The electrics can be dodgy on a lot of British cars, due to poor design (the Dolomite I had had both dipped beam headlamps running of one fuse, which I modified) and crappy quality of Lucas electrical parts. But the engine and transmission in the Spit is a durable piece of kit. Is yours a 1500 or Mk IV?, does it have overdrive?. Spits can wander a bit if I recall, I bet it's 20 years ago since me and my friend drove to watch The Cult play in Paris, we where doing about 100mph in France and I recall having the willies a bit as the car seemed to wander.

Yours will probably have crappy Stromberg carbs on which are a pile of shit compared to SU's, you'd pick up a good few HP by throwing them out, putting euro spec SU's on (if you can by law) and a pair of K&N filters. I'd also junk the contact breakers and stick an electronic system on, timing scatter with a worn distributor (Lucas distributor bearings wear like hell and send the ignition dwell all over the place) will loose you a good few HP and cost money in wasted fuel.

A wonderful Triumph if you can find one is the Triumph TR5 PI (I think USA called them TR 250).
helf

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a 1500. The car is really almost perfect. Few minor issues, like the parking brake line is broken. It's just a 4 speed transmission, no overdrive. I'm going to get a new transmission put in sometime next year. First gear in it grinds a lot, the rest shift in/out smoothly.

about the carb, I can pretty much do whatever the heck I want to to this car. Alabama has no real car laws, we don't even have emission checking ;)

The carb on it actually *looks* pretty bad. I need to go over it and see what all it has. You won't believe how little free time I've actually had to mess with it since I bought it.

I also gotta overhaul the braking system. It pulls to the right badly when you hit the brakes Smile Could just be bad pads.

I'm going to be changing out a ton of parts on it. Replacing a lot of the stuff with new electronics. It already has some timing issues that I'll have to sort out. I definitely bought a Hobby :P

as far as wandering goes, I didn't notice any with the little bit I drove it. I haven't been over 50mph in it yet. The tires are badly dry-rotted, so I didn't want to push them.

I'll be working on it this afternoon, I gotta replace the starter. It went out about 2 weeks after I bought the car. heh...

We need to start a car talk thread...

p.s.

Just a side note... When I got my spit off the truck (I had it shipped), the front right tire looked "a bit low"... I didn't think much about it till the next day... Turns out, that tire had 9PSI in it! I drove that car ~3 miles home on that pressure too! I'm surprised the tire didn't break its bead. The tires on it are rated for 31PSI too...
itomato

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would make it a point to devote some time to the brake system - before you do much else..

It sounds like that car may have been sitting a while. That Alabama humidity isn't nice to brake fluid, which absorbs H20.
Bleed the system throroughly - run through a full bottle of fluid if you have to, and definately invest in a pressure bleeder..

If the fluid is at all rusty, look into rebuilding wheel cylinders and/or calipers. You don't want a cylinder to stick when you're taking a curve at speed! (dry-rotted tires aside!)

Shocked

I second the Stromberg > SU swap.. It might even be easier to have Webers in Alabama due to parts availability, though SUs are widely adaptable and braindead easy to rebuild. People even swapped them onto Harleys! You might be able to source some (cheap) through a Harley shop..

I also second the electronic ignition motion.. Although, without fighting your way through points and condensor issues, timing, and weak distributor metal casting, you'd be missing out on some of the sadistic "joy" Twisted Evil of having an old car.

Lucas electronics are the main reason I fear English autos. Though it could be that I've grown up on Swedish/German methodology. I'd love to have an XJ with a 350 conversion... But it seems so fragile with the delicate British instruments and vaneer, not to mention the befuddling electronics system..
helf

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the pointers. i'll do that.

FYI, the car game out of Virginia Beach, Virginia. I dunno what the weather is like up there...

anyways, I've heard a lot of bad things about Lucas parts... Why do they have such a bad rep? high failure rate?

Since you two seem to know a bit about cars, I'll definitely be asking questions periodically Smile

I need to find a british car group, if one exists near me, and join it.

btw, itomato, I have a 1985 MK11 (I believe) wolfsburg edition VW Golf sitting in my yard. Needs new coils and clutch hangar. Otherwise, its mostly perfect. Pretty sweet car :)

oh, my dad has a ghia. He LOVED the thing. He used to race with it. got all of ~90-100 horses :)

The spit 1500 gets ~70hp stock. Be nice to get that up once I get the more basic things fixed. (like rag top)
brams

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

itomato wrote:
Lucas electronics are the main reason I fear English autos. Though it could be that I've grown up on Swedish/German methodology. I'd love to have an XJ with a 350 conversion... But it seems so fragile with the delicate British instruments and vaneer, not to mention the befuddling electronics system..

Helf, the point about the brake rebuild is a good point, on a car fast approaching 30 years old it would not be a bad idea to replace all the hoses and seals as if they are original they'll be perished and hard as hell. It also give you chance to fit braided hoses which are great for pedal feel.

I'm a Jaguar Master Tech, well I was now I seem to look at graphs in Excel all day, anyway, one of my customers has a 350 Chevy SB in a SIII XJ, I think they call them half breeds, it's not bad it's just not as nice as the V12, it's propably more reliable just not as nice. Is the Ford Windsor not a better choice than the Chevy, as they have thinwall cast blocks and I heard they are quite light for an iron V8, well maybe it's the Cleveland but I know it's a SB Ford.
brams

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

helf wrote:
I've heard a lot of bad things about Lucas parts... Why do they have such a bad rep? high failure rate?

Near non existent QC, lack of investment and a motor industry in much the same state. Look at British bikes for an idea of how woefully bad things where, compare a Norton Commando against a Kawasaki Z1/900 or Z1000 and it's a complete under developed pile of junk.

British cars are a love/hate relationship, the only thing worse (and I love them) are Italian and French cars, now they are crap (Citroen DS/SM excepted).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: