www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Replacement hard drive for Indigo 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brams

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nextchef wrote:
I got a disk that should work for this, installed it, and ran the command RacerX suggested in order to get in initialized properly, now I need to install. I have a 5 disk set that is marked IRIX 6.5 that came with my O2, and a single 5.3 disk that was in this Indigo2 when I got it. I have listed the disks I have below, and what each says.

IRIX 5.3 inst(filesystem)
IRIX 6.5 Installation
IRIX 6.5 Foundation 1
IRIX 6.5 Foundation 2
IRIX 6.5 Apps
IRIX 6.5 ONL3/NFS

I tried starting with the 6.5 installation disk, and let it do its part until it asked for another disk. I then inserted the Foundation1 disk, but when I try to install from it, it gives me dependency problems, and does not continue. What is the proper procedure to follow to get this installed? Do I have enough disks to do a proper install?

Chef

EDIT:
Found this link on google, so will give it a try since it seems to be a very comprehensive guide.

http://www.futuretech.blinkenlights.nl/6.5inst.html

You've found the best SGI reference on the 'net anywhere, Ian Mapleson's SGI site is fantastic and he's put a hell of a lot of work into that. If you get stuck send him an email, he's such a nice helpful guy. He used to admin the SGI/computer lab at our local university before he moved to Scotland. He's also cool to buy stuff off, I got an Octane drive sled and bought Irix off him.

Did the Irix install stop or carry on?, IIRC Irix does give a lot of errors during the install. Remember also Irix 6.5.22 is the latest one that will work on an Indigo 2, you can download it FOC from SGI.
RacerX

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian's site is (and has been since back in the late 90's) considered one of the best references on the web. Before I start pulling manuals off the shelf or hit SGI's Techpubs Library I'll go to Ian's site to see if he has addressed the issue.

Back when I got my first SGI (around 1999) there were as many as four mirrors of Ian's site as I recall (tells you how important it was even back then). Sadly, as the community has shrunk the number of mirrors as slowly dropped. Usually within a week of one of the mirrors closing down you'll see people frantically posting asking what happened to Ian's site (to which they would be pointed at another mirror).

I think there are only two left now...I've downloaded most of Ian's pages relating to Indigo/Indy/Indigo2 hardware and IRIX 5.3/6.2/6.5... just to be on the safe side, and because they are great references even if I don't have access to the net at any given time (specially back when I still had clients using that hardware for RIP servers).

Chef, if this is the first time that you've come across Ian's site, then I highly suggest spending some time reading the articles in his Indigo2 section.

I may grab an Indigo2 this weekend... more because I like the model than that I have an actual use for it at this point Really, an O2 with the full AV option would be the upgrade path from my Indy which has the Indy Video and Cosmo Compression boards in it. Until I get the IRIX 6.5 media I won't be getting an O2... but both the 5.3 and 6.2 media I own cover most of the Indigo2 models.

Sadly, I missed out on a really nice R8000 system a little over a year ago. Sad
nextchef

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Followed the directions on the site, and got it installed successfully. You are both right about it being a great site, with lots of "real world" info and what to watch out for. Now just need to poke around on sgi and find the latest patches and updates for IRIX.

Chef
brams

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nextchef wrote:
Now just need to poke around on sgi and find the latest patches and updates for IRIX.

Time to get the credit card out then, SGI have a very unique view on support, you'll be able to download 6.5.22 FOC but that's about it.
nextchef

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brams wrote:
nextchef wrote:
Now just need to poke around on sgi and find the latest patches and updates for IRIX.

Time to get the credit card out then, SGI have a very unique view on support, you'll be able to download 6.5.22 FOC but that's about it.

So I see. At least I can download some security updates, which is better than nothing.

Chef
crimsonRE

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note that the the Indigo2, Indy, and older models aren't supported at all in the last several IRIX releases (maybe starting with 6.5.25?). Anyway, all the software built by the active folks on Nekochan.net is for 6.5.21, though much of it is for mips4 architecture only (O2, R10k Indigo2, and Octane).

I'd have to check my notes at home but I thought that on the I^2, the SCSI ID for the internal bays is set by the drive sled... And yup, I too have several SCA drives in use on older machines using 50-pin <-> SCA adapters.

Cheers,
crimsonRE (which gives you a clue about my SGI proclivities)
nextchef

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crimsonRE wrote:
Note that the the Indigo2, Indy, and older models aren't supported at all in the last several IRIX releases (maybe starting with 6.5.25?). Anyway, all the software built by the active folks on Nekochan.net is for 6.5.21, though much of it is for mips4 architecture only (O2, R10k Indigo2, and Octane).

This one is an R4400-200Mhz, but I also have an O2 at home that came with IRIX installed. How do you tell which revision of IRIX is installed? I have tried uname -r and even uname -a, but all it gives is IRIX 6.5 and no more. I think the cd's are 6.5.22, but it would be nice to confirm that before downloading and installing more software.

Chef
crimsonRE

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Searching for 'uname' in http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/tpl/cgi-bin/browse.cgi?coll=0650&db=man

tells me that uname -Ra will give you the extended release, e.g., 6.5.x

Cheers,
crimsonRE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: