NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Rob's site blackholeinc.com seems to be down?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nextchef

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject: Rob's site blackholeinc.com seems to be down? Reply with quote

Is blackholeinc.com gone? Did Rob just change registrars, hosts, or possibly forget to renew it. Was trying to get the contact number so I could call about the ebay auction I won and paid for (and that he will not respond about). Will try google cache to see if can find the number. If someone by chance has it handy, please let me know.

Chef
conrad

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That site has been really flaky for quite a while now. It was up a week or so ago, but down the week before that. Hopefully it will come up again soon.
blackcube

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Rob's site blackholeinc.com seems to be down? Reply with quote

nextchef wrote:
Is blackholeinc.com gone? Did Rob just change registrars, hosts, or possibly forget to renew it. Was trying to get the contact number so I could call about the ebay auction I won and paid for (and that he will not respond about). Will try google cache to see if can find the number. If someone by chance has it handy, please let me know.

Chef

Network Solutions whosis data says it's registered through 2015 so it's not expiration. Probably either a server is down, a host move or DNS issue.
nextchef

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google cache says 970-223-9976. Can someone confirm this, before I call the wrong number.

Thanks
Ork

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 mounths ago, I sent inquary for NextDimension board to blackholeinc.
No answer. I thing 2 mounths ago they was closed.
weps

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they are stilling running listings on ebay. and at one point recently, their site was showing an update as of 9/22/06. and there was mention of soon unpacking a "ton o' next" equipment. the update was only one page, but did reflect inventory and prices changes. however, i also tried to buy one of their ebay items and was never contacted, nor had my phone call returned.

personally, i suspect they are still there. he just runs his business as he pleases and on his terms, which are different then 95% of other business owners, so it can cause some confusion.
nextchef

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

weps wrote:
they are stilling running listings on ebay. and at one point recently, their site was showing an update as of 9/22/06. and there was mention of soon unpacking a "ton o' next" equipment. the update was only one page, but did reflect inventory and prices changes. however, i also tried to buy one of their ebay items and was never contacted, nor had my phone call returned.

personally, i suspect they are still there. he just runs his business as he pleases and on his terms, which are different then 95% of other business owners, so it can cause some confusion.

Stupid me, but I actually paid for the item thinking I would get at least some "service", or at least a response.

Live and learn, I guess.

Chef
weps

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nextchef wrote:

Stupid me, but I actually paid for the item thinking I would get at least some "service", or at least a response.

Live and learn, I guess.

payment is another story and i wouldn't be so quick to write it off. if he actually has the money (as opposed to sitting on a check, or not accepting the paypal transfer) it's pretty much theft and is unacceptable in my opinion. it sucks that you have to be the persistant one, but i'd consider continued pursuit to be easily justified.

is there anyone here that actually knows him and can help set things right??
nextchef

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

weps wrote:
nextchef wrote:

Live and learn, I guess.

payment is another story and i wouldn't be so quick to write it off. if he actually has the money (as opposed to sitting on a check, or not accepting the paypal transfer) it's pretty much theft and is unacceptable in my opinion. it sucks that you have to be the persistant one, but i'd consider continued pursuit to be easily justified.

is there anyone here that actually knows him and can help set things right??

Paypal payment was accepted on 10/25/06, and I have not heard word one from anyone, despite numerous inquiries through email and ebay member messages. Even called the phone number, but no one answered.

Lucky I did not buy one of the "complete" systems he was advertising before on ebay.

Chef
brams

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nextchef wrote:

Live and learn, I guess.

Chef

Frankly given what I and others have remarked on Blackhole's lack of interest in responding to customer enquires I'm surprised you even bothered.

What exactly is you bought from him?, I hope it does not cost a lot.

Good luck at least

brams
nextchef

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brams wrote:
nextchef wrote:

Live and learn, I guess.

Chef

Frankly given what I and others have remarked on Blackhole's lack of interest in responding to customer enquires I'm surprised you even bothered.

What exactly is you bought from him?, I hope it does not cost a lot.

Good luck at least

brams

It was an ADB mouse for $26, including shipping. I was hoping that since new items were added to the ebay store, the website had changed, and someone here had mentioned actually purchasing stuff from him, that he was "in the mood" to sell things again.

Nitro is out in Colorado, mabey he can "mention" it to him the next time he sees Rob.
brams

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nextchef wrote:
I was hoping that since new items were added to the ebay store, the website had changed.

Exactly what I thought when I wanted a Soundbox. For me Mr. Blessin and Blackhole Inc are well off the radar for me.
nextchef

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beating a dead horse (or however the saying goes) on this one I guess.

Will wait the required time and file "non delivery" action with ebay, and file claim with paypal and credit card to get reimbursement.

Strike three... Robs out.

Chef
idylukewild

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's time to recount my experience with Rob. Right when I started with my first NeXT system (a turbostation color complete system found on Craigslist including printer, NeXT CD reader and the complete 3.2 Developer Library for $150 + shipping) I got the slab running and noticed I couldn't get the thing to display the correct date. I found out about the Y2K patch and contacted Blackhole to purchase NeXTstep 3.3 and the Y2K patch (my system was 2.something). Rob said he would sell me NeXTstep 3.3 user and Developer with the Y2K patch, and install guide and the Nebula CD including shipping for $154.95. I called Rob at 303-741-9998 at approximately 9pm EDT on February 7, 2006. It turns out that it was a fluke that I actually spoke to Rob on my first call. Subsequent calls went unanswered, as my notes show:

Luke wrote February 7, 2006 9:50:12 PM EST:

“I just sent you $154.95 by paypal.

The money is for:

NeXTstep 3.3 user CD
NeXTstep 3.3 developer CD
Y2K patch CD
install guide
Nebula CD
shipping

Thank you very much for offering
me the developer CD for free!
Thanks also for the install guide
and your offer to help me if I need
it when I start installing.”

Call to Rob on Feb 8 12:16 pm ; both numbers, answering machine only.

Called at 12:59 and left a message “having a bit of buyer’s remorse, want to know date you will ship CD’s”

Called about 5 times till 4:30, no answer.

Called 6 pm no answer.

Called a bit after midnight (~12) on what would now be the 9th because I was staying up late to do the SCM thermal-vacuum test and actually spoke to Rob. He assured me that my fears about the negative feedback on e-bay was unwarranted and the negative feedback of the last year was just due to his problems with a break-up with a girl and that he would get the stuff to me.

Rob called me back on Feb. 9th (at 7ish pm) to say that he had burned the CDs (software) and he would e-mail me the tracking number as soon as they shipped. It was a very short and businesslike call. I thanked him.

I called then e-mailed Rob 7pm Feb 15 with a reminder about the order:

"Rob-

Just wondering when the software I
ordered from you is going out in the mail.

To remind you on Feb 7th, I ordered:
NeXTstep 3.3 user CD
NeXTstep 3.3 developer CD
Y2K patch CD
install guide
Nebula CD
shipping
For which I emailed you $154.95 by paypal (2/7/06).

You were good enough to call me a few days later
to confirm the order and to state that you had it
ready to ship. You also stated that you would e-mail
me the tracking number when it shipped.

Please let me know when you plan to ship
the software. I've got my NeXTstation turbo
color running and am anticipating upgrading
the software and trying out the cool stuff in
the Nebula CD!

Thanks!"

Rob called Feb. 15 at 3:46 after I called him and let the phone ring 5 times (he called just a minute or two later) and said that he had e-mailed me the tracking number from UPS because he has mailed the CDs to me today. He said rather than wait for a Nebula CD he would send Peanuts and another (?) CD which are more current than the nebula CD. Said he would help me use “build disk” to copy old software to new barracuda hard drive I have and that I need to set 3 jumpers on the barracuda: 1 to terminate the power to bus, 1 to the drive, and 1 for ‘termination enabled (controller)’? If I wanted to make a clean install I would have to use a boot floppy which I could download.

Well, I don't have a record of when the CD's finally arrived, but it took weeks and when they did arrive, the Developer CD couldn't be read by any of my drives. The NeXTstep 3.3 install CD worked fine. I found out a more current patch could be simply downloaded from Apple. I'm not sure what's on the Peanuts CD, but I'm pretty sure I can get just about anything there from one of the fine download sites for NeXT software.

I mentioned the "buyer's remorse" I felt after paypalling Rob $154.95. Right after I paypalled him the money, I went to check out his feedback on ebay and was shocked. I made a PDF record of what I saw. Here are some excerpts:

"You let me down and cost me money. NeXT is available elsewhere folks. Avoid. Buyer harriscw ( 45 ) Sep-18-05 13:432742246065 Reply by blackholeinc: I agree comedy finallya Million in sales yes a refund and the product for you! Nov-14-05 11:54 "

"Absolute worst. Extremely poor communication. Still fighting for refund. Avoid. Buyer hexapodist ( 450 ) Aug-25-05 09:492742246065 Reply by blackholeinc: Agree was blantanly stupid reached a million free product and refund for you! Nov-14-05 11:55 "

"Dishonest seller. Did not send item or communicate despite frequent requests. Buyer westsideseattle ( 1151 ) Aug-10-05 15:175102672409 Reply by blackholeinc: Absolute worst agree, reached million finally free product and refund for you ! Nov-14-05 11:57 "

"FVCKING LOSER, GET A FVCKING LIFE ROB BLESSIN, AND SHOVE IT UP YOUR BLACKHOLE! Buyer rdx_dev ( 4 ) Aug-10-05 02:315102504725 Reply by blackholeinc: Sucked eggs on this one agree free product and refund reached a million! Nov-14-05 11:58 "

"YOU DON'T SHIP ANYWAY, SO WHY BOTHER TO PUT STUFF ON EBAY? VERY STRANGE EBAYER Buyer rdx_dev ( 4 ) Aug-10-05 02:253409796842 Reply by blackholeinc: Yes as part catastrophic implosion million in sales free product and refund! Nov-14-05 11:59 "

promised would ship on June 4, did NOT ship, does NOT reply to emails, HORRIBLE Buyer m1ck3y020 ( 3 ) Jul-27-05 04:34 2770001248 Reply by blackholeinc: Absolutely awful reached a million in sales free product and refund for you! Nov-14-05 12:00 "

"4months after payment, no item and no single response to emails, simply terrible Buyer readydigital ( 16 ) Jun-10-05 15:112770001248 Reply by blackholeinc: Yes, stupid implosion plan at million in sales free product and refund for you! Nov-14-05 12:02"

I decided not to persue getting a working copy of developer 3.3 from him because I purchased a complete academic bundle 3.3 from ebay that had all of the original manuals and diskettes (which made installation easy). About a month later I ordered the last version of Mathematica made for NeXT from him for $37.95 (he is the only distributor) and had a similar experience. I don't know if the Mathematica disk works since I haven't gotten around to installing it: it will require getting a password from the makers of Mathematica to install.

Since both of my purchases from Blackhole were problematic, I've avoided dealing with him since my second purchase (in March 2006).

I hope my account helps prepare those who plan to deal with Blackhole.
blackcube

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Rob story too. In 2000 I purchased my first Dimension board for my Turbo Cube. For several months, I was switching the Sony N4006 between the Color Turbo and the Cube, which was pretty cumbersome. I decided to try and purchase a N4005 21" Hitachi from either Randy at Turbo or Rob at Blackhole. Randy flat told me that the last three 21" monitors he shipped were broken in shipment andwhile he would sell me one, maybe I should try to find one local to me. I then called Rob. It took me a week to talk to him in person and he refused to sell me one unless I agreed to pick up in person. I had never been to Colorado, so I agreed to drive up and pick up the monitor. Dallas to Colorado is a long trip, so I called him a day before to confirm the details of our meeting. He told me to forget it as he had plans that weekend. This went on for a couple of months. He would agree to meet me and then would change his mind at the last minute. After him blowing me off for several months, I told him to kiss my ass. Finally I found two N4005s on ebay, one local and one some distance. UPS delivered the one I had shipped in perfect condition and I picked up the second one about 15 miles from my house. My total cost for both including shipping on the second one was less than the cash and carry price Rob quoted me.

Three weeks after I kissed Rob off, he was advertising 21" monitors on ebay - and claimed he would ship them.

Last edited by blackcube on Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: