NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Rob's site blackholeinc.com seems to be down?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nextchef

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look now on ebay, the only negative thing is the most recent one you listed. All the others have fallen off, or at least are not being shown in the summary.

Apparently in order to get things from him, you have to live in Colorado and "visit" him in person. Anyone in colorado want to be the middleman for him, and get stuff and actually see that it gets delivered?

I initiated things with paypal, so we will see if that gets his attention.

Chef
blackcube

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nextchef wrote:
Apparently in order to get things from him, you have to live in Colorado and "visit" him in person. Chef

As my experience with him illustrates, even that path is not a sure thing.
nextchef

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackcube wrote:
nextchef wrote:
Apparently in order to get things from him, you have to live in Colorado and "visit" him in person. Chef

As my experience with him illustrates, even that path is not a sure thing.

That really blows. I would have driven up there anyway and given him an earful (after warning my lawyer). What is this guys F****N problem??? What does he do in his real job, as he certainly cant be making any money on the next stuff. The real tragedy is that he probably has a good chunk of the next systems still around just sitting "down in the hole". Time for a commando style rescue operation methinks.

Chef
blackcube

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nextchef wrote:
That really blows. I would have driven up there anyway and given him an earful (after warning my lawyer). What is this guys F****N problem??? What does he do in his real job, as he certainly cant be making any money on the next stuff. The real tragedy is that he probably has a good chunk of the next systems still around just sitting "down in the hole". Time for a commando style rescue operation methinks. Chef

Maybe the whole operation is a "real" blackhole. Nothing excapes the blackhole. Rolling Eyes
RacerX

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

idylukewild wrote:
I think it's time to recount my experience with Rob. Right when I started with my first NeXT system (a turbostation color complete system found on Craigslist including printer, NeXT CD reader and the complete 3.2 Developer Library for $150 + shipping)

-and-

If I wanted to make a clean install I would have to use a boot floppy which I could download.
Odd, I was under the impression that you didn't need floppies for the Turbos. Confused

I've bought a handful of things from Rob since 1998 or so, and to date haven't had any issues. I've called him about a dozen times over the last 8 years and he answered every time I called.

Rolling Eyes

Sorry that I don't have any horror stories to share. I don't understand why my experiences would differ so much from everyone else's. Shocked
brams

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nextchef wrote:
Time for a commando style rescue operation methinks.

Chef

Haha, yeah go tell H Ross Perot, ask him if he want to fund another commando operation Wink When he find out it's NeXT I don't think he'll want any part of it.
brams

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackcube wrote:
Maybe the whole operation is a "real" blackhole. Nothing excapes the blackhole. Rolling Eyes

Ain't that the truth, everytime I see these blackhole posts and people getting no reply I think of stuff falling into a cosmic sink hole.
itomato

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year, after trying every other remaining NeXT vendor, I got a hold of Rob on his cell phone.

I bought a few mice, some stickers, and a keyboard. It was a hassle, and I had to ride his ass during the entire transaction.

The shipping time was acceptible, and I believe he even threw something in gratis.

He was having a terrible time with "arthritis", but was able to climb around, bend over, and dig in boxes..

I get the feeling that he's battling some sort of nervous condition or mental illness (nothing but compassionate concern intended). If you look at blackholeinc around 1998, some slippage had begun, but nothing like the wacky wasteland of the last few years..

http://web.archive.org/web/19980421133709/http://www.blackholeinc.com/

I wonder just how much equipment he's sitting on?
idylukewild

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RacerX: I think he was just giving me generic information when I was taking my notes. After I got the CD's I had gotten a lot more complete information from the Web (places like nextcomputers.org). I recall now that I just used the CD to update the software on the slab. I've used the floppies on a 25MHz cube I acquired shortly after I got the slab.

itomato: I agree with you about the "nervous condition or mental illness (nothing but compassionate concern intended)". I don't think he has ill intent. He seems to be fighting his own demons.
nextchef

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

itomato wrote:
I get the feeling that he's battling some sort of nervous condition or mental illness (nothing but compassionate concern intended). If you look at blackholeinc around 1998, some slippage had begun, but nothing like the wacky wasteland of the last few years..

http://web.archive.org/web/19980421133709/http://www.blackholeinc.com/

I wonder just how much equipment he's sitting on?

If that is the case, than I feel very sorry for him. Mental illness can be terribly debilitating to the individual, and paralyzing to family and friends of the person suffering with it. Mabey Nitro can shed some light on this, as I think he just picked up some things from him recently.

If this is truly the case, and especially if Rob is lurking around here, then my comments were insensitive, as he is not completely responsible for his actions, and I am sorry.

Chef
Nightengale

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only have called him once, when I got my first cube. He was golfing but answered his phone. I ordered my cube from deepspacetch but Rob supplied it. It was delayed about 3 weeks.
Nitro
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iíve had good experiences when contacting Rob to purchase hardware or software. However, I can certainly understand the frustration of those who have trouble reaching him. I really donít know the reasons for his communication issues, but I agree 100% that he has no bad intent. Heís always been super nice in his conversations with me, and knowledgeable when it comes to NeXT.

I met Rob about five years ago when he lived in Denver. I stopped by his house to purchase a Cube, and I would conservatively estimate that he had 200 Slabs neatly stacked on wooden shelves in the Black Hole. Later, I purchased another Cube on ebay and needed a keyboard, mouse, and monitor, so I purchased one of Robís $59.95 mono slab specials. I asked him if I could pick it up to avoid shipping charges. He gave the system to a friend who delivered it to my place of employment at no charge.

In the last few months Iíve purchased quite a bit from Rob. He had seven bare Turbo Color Stations listed on his ebay store for $49.95 each, buy-it-now, so I bought-them-now. After the auction I noticed that each one was listed with $20 shipping. So I called Rob and asked if I could pick them up. Since we live more than 100 miles apart, he left the slabs at his parentís house and I picked them up after work. I had the pleasure of meeting his nice family, and he saved me $140 in shipping charges. After testing the slabs, one had a dead motherboard and one had a dead power supply. So I called up Rob and a replacement slab arrived two days later at no charge.

I donít know what pressures Rob may face in real life, so I canít comment on the reason people have trouble contacting him. Heís always been friendly and courteous to me.

To answer the original question in this thread, his site appears to be back up now.
nextchef

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a message on ebay today from Rob, apologizing for the delay and saying the product will ship out for delivery by the end of the week. At least this is progress, but I will wait to see if I actually get a tracking number, and the package, as promised.

Chef
idylukewild

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chef-

Good luck! I think everybody would like it if Blackhole cleaned up their act! I, for one, would like a "NeXT Sound Box NON ADB $ 19.00" (from http://www.blackholeinc.com/specials/blackhardware.shtml).
nextchef

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the tracking number, as promised. Should be delivered tomorrow, according to UPS. Things are looking up :)

Now I just need to find an ADB NeXT keyboard to go with it.

Chef
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: