NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
NeXTcube Slot Load SCSI CD-ROM
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nitro
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: NeXTcube Slot Load SCSI CD-ROM Reply with quote

This is a short work log to add a slot load SCSI CD-ROM to a NeXTcube. After seeing a picture of the slot load CD-ROM that Andreas put together I decided to install one myself. First on the list was to find a suitable SCSI drive. A quick search on ebay netted a Pioneer DR-706S 36x 50pin drive for $4.50. I tested the drive and it read a NEXTSTEP install CD just fine. There was one problem with it though. It was an ugly PC beige color.

So I took a trip down to the local AutoZone store and located some spray paint that was safe to use on plastic. They had two types of black paint in stock, so I picked up a can of each. The first can was manufactured by Dupli-Color and was flat black paint for use on vinyl. The second can was manufactured by Krylon and was gloss black paint for plastic.

I needed something to test the paint on so a little digging in the basement produced a few old drive bay covers.

After applying the paint it was apparent that the Krylon paint on the left was too glossy. The Dupli-Color paint on the right actually looked pretty good.

Next it was time to disassemble the drive. The faceplate was easy to remove and take apart.

The first coat of paint was a bit too glossy, so I backed off the spray can to about 18Ē away and dusted the part to lessen the sheen. The faceplate ended up with a low gloss similar to the original NeXT finish.

After reassembly the drive was ready to install.

The CD-ROM mounted in place in the original 040 drive cage and lined up with the factory OD slot.

Thatís it for now. No modifications to the Cube were necessary since it was a bolt-in operation.
nextchef

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now all I need is a cube to perform this modification on. :cry:

Chef
brams

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nextchef wrote:
Now all I need is a cube to perform this modification on. :cry:

Chef

Excellent!

I'm gonna do this to mine as well soon Smile
Andreas

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If someone can dig-out a Pioneer DVD-ROM, they looks similar to that CD-ROM, you can use that also. Its nice to having all the "Peanuts" on one media Smile
Nitro
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andreas wrote:
If someone can dig-out a Pioneer DVD-ROM, they looks similar to that CD-ROM, you can use that also. Its nice to having all the "Peanuts" on one media Smile

That's nice to know. I'll see if I can find one of those. Smile
idylukewild

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your complete instructions! I'm going to give it a try!
Andreas

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nitro wrote:
Andreas wrote:

That's nice to know. I'll see if I can find one of those. Smile

I have succesfully tested
Pioneer DVD-302 and DVD-304 but i see no reason, why others wouldn't run
Andreas

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you have removed this?

Nitro
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andreas wrote:
How do you have removed this?

The felt strip is held to the faceplate by six plastic posts. Each post is melted at the factory to form something similar to a nail head. I used a utility knife to carefully remove the melted plastic. The felt is easy to remove when thatís done. After painting the faceplate I replaced the felt strip and used a small drop of glue (super glue) on each post to hold the felt in place. Itís difficult to tell from the photo but thereís a thin clear plastic backing on the felt so it glues easily to each post.

idylukewild

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case anyone is interested: PIONEER DVD-303SKR 16x SCSI SLOT LOADING DVD-ROM DRIVE on e-bay (item number 8814330656) buyitnow $59.00 or best offer, 20 available. They apear to be "new"!
Ashman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing to note about pretty much all slot-load drives is that they are much louder than tray-load drives.

The little felt barrier does pretty much nothing for trapping sound.

I have a slot-load DVD drive in my HTPC and I have to run a program that limits the drive to 2x speed because otherwise it sounds like a jet engine and that's just not acceptable for a HTPC.

In this case, you're probably ok, but it is something worth noting...
Nitro
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

idylukewild wrote:
In case anyone is interested: PIONEER DVD-303SKR 16x SCSI SLOT LOADING DVD-ROM DRIVE on e-bay (item number 8814330656) buyitnow $59.00 or best offer, 20 available. They apear to be "new"!

If you pick up one of those let me know how it works. Looks like a nice drive.

Ashman wrote:
One thing to note about pretty much all slot-load drives is that they are much louder than tray-load drives.

The slot load drives are definitely louder than the tray load ones. This drive isnít terribly noisy though. Some of the older slot load drives are slower, so that may help with the noise. At some point Iíd like to try a tray load drive, but it looks to be more involved. The vertical alignment with the tray and factory OD slot would have to be more precise.
blackcube

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a similar mod on one of my older Cubes but with a caddy loading Toshiba drive. I painted the plastic faceplate with Plastikote vinyl dye from the auto parts shop. The caddy just cleared the slot for the optical drive when loading.

I think I've sold that Cube but I have a spare 68040 so I could do another. My Turbo Cube has multiple drives installed so there isn't room for an internal CD drive.

Last edited by blackcube on Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nightengale

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent write-up Ntro!
idylukewild

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you pick up one of those let me know how it works. Looks like a nice drive.

Nitro-
I did pick one up and it is clearly new. I was wondering if someone could help me set the jumpers before I disssasemble, install, then reassemble the NeXTcube. I have a NeXTcube with an internal floppy drive and an internal hard drive (the boot drive). Here is a photo of the jumpers and jumper diagram as shipped:

I am clearly new at this so if you can answer the following questions you might help me and other newbies: should termination be on or off? What should the SCSI ID be? Should "RCP SET" be on or off? 2048 or 512? I imagine I shouldn't set the drive for "EJECT DISABLE". Shortly after I get the jumpers set I'll try it out in the NeXTcube before I paint the front with your technique. I'll let you know how it works. Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> NeXT Work Logs All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: