NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
NeXTcube Slot Load SCSI CD-ROM
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brams

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have any idea of the scsi ID of the internal drive, it should tell you when you boot the cube, I'd hazard a guess that you'll be set to zero, I think from the pic the drive is set to ID 6, so I'd leave it like that and just plug it in and see if it works. Set the Eject enable jumper and I have no idea about RPC. I'm assuming the HD is terminated so I'd leave that off also.
Nitro
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

idylukewild wrote:

Nitro-
I did pick one up and it is clearly new. I was wondering if someone could help me set the jumpers before I disssasemble, install, then reassemble the NeXTcube. I have a NeXTcube with an internal floppy drive and an internal hard drive (the boot drive).

I set the SCSI ID on my CD-ROM to 6, which means you would need a jumper on pins 2 and 3. Your hard drive should be set to a lower SCSI ID than your DVD drive. I set the sector size to 512, which means youíll need a jumper on pin 6. The last drive on the SCSI chain needs to be terminated. Since your hard drive is probably already terminated, you can put the DVD drive in the middle of the chain and remove itís termination (no jumper on pin 5). I would leave the RPC (region play control) jumper on pin 8 (default).
You donít need a jumper on pin 7 unless you have an extra jumper on hand (disable eject). Itís purpose is to disable the front panel eject button, which will be hidden behind the Cube faceplate.

From looking at your picture I would put a jumper on pins 2, 3, 6, and 8. Then connect the DVD drive to the middle connector on your 50 pin SCSI cable. Check that your hard drive is set to a lower SCSI ID than the DVD, and connected to the end of the SCSI cable. Also check that the hard drive has the termination set to ďonĒ. You should be good to go after that.

I wasnít able to find the exact part number of your drive on the Pioneer web site, but I believe this is a link to your user manual:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pio/pe/images/portal/cit_3424/29815184DVD303SOperInst.pdf

I hope I explained that correctly, maybe someone can jump in here if I missed something.
idylukewild

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Nitro! I'll let you know how it runs in the cube. It will be nice to be able to have access to gigabytes of data all on one DVD!
idylukewild

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O.k. I used the jumper setting Nitro recommended and installed the DVD drive. It's the best improvement I've ever made to a NeXT computer! I can read a 4 Gb disks that I burned on my e-mac. Being able to just push the disk in to load it (rather than use a disc caddy or something) is great! Reading discs without an external device and cable is great! I also like the way it is a reversible improvement to the cube (I taped the OD cover and screws, wrapped up in an envelope, inside the cube so I don't have to worry about losing them)! Now that I'm certain everything works I'm going to paint the cover for the finishing touch. Thanks Nitro!

Now if I could only get my hands on the Peanuts archive on DVD....
itomato

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man...

Slot loading DVD in a Cube - fantastic..

Nitro, idylukewild - EXCELLENT!! I tip my hat! Cool
brams

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

idylukewild wrote:
I can read a 4 Gb disks that I burned on my e-mac

So if you where are running NEXSTEP 3.3 are we saying that DVD ROM's are not affected by the 4gb partition limit?, or does that not apply to ISO & HFS disks?

I found a drive that should work here this should work fine I think.
Andreas

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brams wrote:

So if you where are running NEXSTEP 3.3 are we saying that DVD ROM's are not affected by the 4gb partition limit?, or does that not apply to ISO & HFS disks?

Brams, a good question. I have DVDs with an ftp-content mastered with mkisofs and have seen no limits at now.
winfried

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DVDs (and CDROMs) are using a different file system (not UFS but ISO9660 with rock ridge extensions), so the limit might not apply there (depending on NeXTs implementation of the ISO9660)
Nitro
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

idylukewild

That is way cool. Smile Iíll have to get one for sure.
idylukewild

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only tried one disk so far. It was burned on my e-mac running Mac OS 10.3.9. The Mac shows the disk as having 4.25 GB of content.

My Cube is running NeXTStep 3.3 updated with the final Apple patch. It has the last version of the ROM. It's a 608040 cube. After I insert the disk in the DVD drive, a disk icon appears in the file viewer (with the name I gave the disk when I burned it) and when I click on it all of the directories appear. All of the subdirectories appear when I click on them. All of the files appear to be there. The directories all appear to open and list the files just as fast as when I click on them when my disk is in the e-mac. When I choose "Disk / Eject" the DVD pops out of the optical drive slot. It's pretty amazing to have access to 4 GB of files by way of the OD slot! I guess installing a DVD drive can reduce some of the pain of finding your cube has a dead optical drive!
Jenne

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this advice!

I've managed to get me a Pioneer SCSI drive for about 2 bucks - already painted, mounted and working. Fits nicely into my cube. A question comes to my mind:

is it possible to use an old Plextor SCSI writer within the cube (caddy version) along with a NeXTstep writing software (if this should exist at all)?

Thanks again!

J
Nitro
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jenne wrote:
A question comes to my mind:

is it possible to use an old Plextor SCSI writer within the cube (caddy version) along with a NeXTstep writing software (if this should exist at all)?

Hi Jenne,

You can get your CD burner working with NEXTSTEP by using a program called CDRecord. Thereís a precompiled binary for NeXT and Intel hardware here:

http://www.nextcomputers.org/NeXTfiles/Software/NEXTSTEP/Apps/CDRom/cdrecord_1.8a22.NI.b.tar.gz

I havenít used the program but user instructions are included. Let us know how it works. Smile
Jenne

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You for the hint, Nitro!

I will post some sort of experience note when I finished this one.
Team Mac OS X? Hello Co-folder ;-)

J
itomato

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: Aere Perennius Reply with quote

There's a GUI app called Aere Perennius. I can't remember if it's a Fat Binary or not..

A quick search through the Blackcube Peak and Peanuts mirrors didn't turn anything up, but that's probably where it is..
idylukewild

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AerePerennius release 1.5 is available from the FTP archive I access by way of this page: http://www.beng.org/en/about.html

The program is in the hardware/apps directory. Here is the text from the readme file:

This is AerePerennius release 1.5

AerePerennius uses MiscKit. The authors of AerePerennius thankfully acknowledge the work of the contributors to the MiscKit.

This document gives you a short overview over the features of AerePerennius, a small cd-wrinting utility. The english online documentation is not yet complete.

What purpose serves AerePerennius?

Welcome to AerePerennius. If you own a supported cd-recorder (see below), AerePerennius allows you to write your own audio and data cd's under NextStep/OpenStep. We should emphasize at this point that it is your responsibility to clarify that you do not violate any copyright by using AerePerennius.

What is required for AerePerennius?

? a computer running NextStep 3.3 or above (right now only Intel and Next hardware is tested)
? a scsi hostadapter that is supported by NextStep/OpenStep
? a supported cd recorder
? AerePerennius must run with root privileges, so you must ask your system administrator to install AerePerennius properly
? patience and enough empty cdr's (:-)

Which cd-recorder are supported by AerePerennius?

In the current release, we deliver driver for the following cd-recorders:

Philips IMS CDD522
IMS CDD2000
IMS CDD2600

HP C4324
C4325
CD-Writer 6020

Grundig CDR 100IPW

Yamaha CDR100
CDR102
CDR200
CDR400

Sony CDU920
CDU924
CDU926
CDU940

If you own a cd-recorder, that we do not yet support, send us a mail () and ask, whether and when we might write a driver for your hardware.

If your cdr device is compatible to a cd recorder listed above, you may configure the driver four your recorder by hand .

What is AerePerennius not capable of?

For now, AerePerennius is limited by two restrictions:

a) AerePerennius is not yet capable of writing cd's "disk at once". For a data cd (cd-rom) this is no disadvantage as long as you do not intend to use this cd as a master for a mass production. For audio cd's this is a restriction as you get a compulsory gap of 2 seconds between two tracks. This is a caused by the "track at once" procedure.

b) AerePerennius is not yet cabable of creating an iso filesystem. Therfore you can not create a data cd by selecting the directory or files you would like to be written. For now you have to create the iso filesystem by yourself using "mkisofs".

What does ?Aere Perenniusô mean?

This is a part of citation of Horaz. The complete citation is:

Exegi monumentum aere perennius

which means:

I have created a statue that is even more perennial than ore.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> NeXT Work Logs All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: