www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
NeXTcube Slot Load SCSI CD-ROM
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jenne

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some heart attacks later...

Ok, a little note on my "efforts" in using a writer within a cube. Regarding the case of the cube there are not many writers that would be fitting in an acceptable way. I tried a Plextor caddy drive writer (PX-R412 Ci), my old HP didn't work anymore (in fact this one fetched dust for almost three years in between).
After removing the front plate of the Plextor to get it into the cube I noticed that NeXTstep 3.3 recognized this drive at least as a "read only" device and it was able to read Mac formatted media at the maximum of double speed. Strange enough: it didn't matter if the drive was set to "terminated" or not, both jumper settings worked. I connected this drive with SCSI ID 6 as the last device in the SCSI chain using the original black SCSI cable inside my cube.
Although knowing that Aere Perennius does not support this Plextor I gave it a try and as expected the drive wasn't able to write onto any media. After firing up Aere Perennius no inserted media could be ejected anymore. I had to re-boot to get back these.
I wasn't very lucky with CDRecord, too. Although this one didn't cause so much trouble as Aere Perennius it did not recognize a blank disc (tried about 17 different ones from 640 up to 800 MB capacity). Maybe this is caused by the caddy mechanics, maybe CDRecord does not fetch the recorder's settings properly. Maybe things work out better if I connect this Plextor to an external case.

J
Nitro
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased a Pioneer DVD-ROM, model DVD-305S and set it up tonight. Not only did I have gigabytes of data available but I was able to boot a Turbo Color Station directly from the DVD drive. Thanks again to Andreas for letting us know this works. Smile
idylukewild

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got around to painting the cover of the Pioneer DVD-303SKR. Once I got to the part Andreas asked about (removing the felt before painting) I decided I'd try masking the felt rather than removing it. I didn't feel good about fooling with the melted posts. Masking worked fine as an alternative to removing the melted plastic then gluing.

The following shows (top) a strip of paper cut to fit between the felt and the cover, (middle) the painted cover with teh mask still in place, and (bottom) the DVD-303SKR cover after the mask has been removed. The felt has been untouched by paint and the original factory 'melted post attachement' has not been modified.

The following shows how I (top) placed the pieces of paper between felt and the faceplate and (bottom) removed the mask after the faceplate was painted. Two strips of paper were inserted to mask the entire length of felt. I used the spray paint recommended by Nitro with excellent results.

The finished DVD drive looks perfect in the cube and adds a lot of functionality. Thanks Nitro and Andreas!
NeXTnewbe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wich SCSI CD writer (slot loading) is recommended to be use on a NeXTCube?

Thanks
Nitro
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a few quick pictures of more drives that I gave the black treatment. This is a stack of Pioneer DVD-305S SCSI drives that I picked up cheap on Ebay. I tried idylukewild’s cool paper trick to mask off the felt but my fingers just weren’t nimble enough to slip the paper into place. I struggled with some small needle-nose pliers to get the paper in the right place but ended up just removing the felt with a flat-blade screwdriver. The low sheen black color goes well with the original NeXT black paint.

idylukewild

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Great looking stack of DVD drives, Nitro! Sorry about the trouble with inserting the paper as a paint shield. For anybody who wants to try the technique again, I think it might be a little easier with .010" teflon sheet instead of paper. McMaster-Carr sells 1 foot of 6" wide .010" teflon sheet for $2.97, it is part number 8569K18. The teflon should be more rigid and easier to insert (and remove).

Luke
Nitro
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that slipping paper or Teflon under the felt is the best way to go, and it would save the hassle of messing with super glue. The mistake I made was probably trying to use a single long paper strip as opposed to two pieces. I could get one half of the strip in place, but the other half wouldn’t go. I just went back and reread your post and noticed that you used two strips. Heh, I missed that little detail the first time I read it. Smile I was in a bit of a hurry to get them painted as it’s starting to get cold here, so I removed the felt and replaced it after painting.

I order things from McMaster at work, so I’ll definitely look into the Teflon sheet. It probably wouldn’t tear as easily as paper, so that would help too.
Harbourmaster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krylon now make it's Fusion paint for plastic in a semi gloss/satin finish in some colors, one of which is Black! The part number is : 2421 Satin Black

I have been using the Fusion paint for plastic for a number of years now painting various Macintosh computers and once the paint has dried and had about a weeks "cure" time it is VERY durable.

If you can't find the Satin Fusion you can create a semi gloss finish by first painting with the glossy fusion paint, allow it to cure for at least 48 hours then scuff the finish with 0000 steel wool and spay on a top coat of Krylon Clear Acrylic Coating #1303
jroark

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm that the following HP drive works

HP P/N: 0950-4488
HP Replacement P/N: A9879-67001
Model: DVD-305SKRB

No painting required, the bezel is already black.

Some on eBay right now #280878340654 for $29
barcher174

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also just installed the HP Model: DVD-305SKRB and can confirm that it works perfectly with no configuration required. My date of manufacture was 2003, so I'm hoping this holds up for a while.

--
Brian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> NeXT Work Logs All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: