NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Got another SGI machine today...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PowerPC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:11 am    Post subject: Got another SGI machine today... Reply with quote

Just a few hours ago my "brand new" Indigo2 Impact arrived Very Happy I feel kinda lucky 'cause i (in german you've got a saying like "buyin the cat in a bag" - i would like to know if this exists in english as well?) took my chances buying this machine from a fellow on ebay who didn't know more about it as it beeing purple. (i just love bad descriptions keeping the price low) It has a few deeper scratches on top Crying or Very sad but i just turned it on and it not only actually works but running "hinv" in the PROM it turned out to be equipped with a 250 Mhz R4400, 384 MB RAM and an High Impact Graphics Card Cool
And also the vendor threw in a Software libary package containing IRIX 6.5

So just a few quick questions:

Shouldn't the HD beeing listed in "hinv" or would i assume it's gone?

Apparently i would need to install IRIX but neither of my SGI Computers got an internal CD ROM - my only available external SCSI CD ROM is the NeXT Singlespeed and i don't know if i'd like to do several CDs with that one Laughing
So what would i have to do in order to get the Remote Directory install via ethernet i suppose to work.
helf

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

holy smokes! Nice Smile I've been wanting to get a good SGI system for awhile.

As for that saying, I'm sure we have one similiar, but I just woke up and cannot think of it at the moment.
conrad

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Buying the cat in the bag", eh? Not sure it exists in English, but I like that expression. Cool machine.

Sorry I can't answer more of your questions about IRIX, etc. Good luck!
PowerPC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did some research. Apparently "buying the cat in a bag (my direct translation of: "die Katze im Sack kaufen") is equivalent to "to buy a pig in a poke" - never heard that one before but i also don't know if that dictionary can be trusted Wink
nextchef

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The closest thing I can think of to that would be referring to something bought "site unseen", or possibly "rolling the dice". Might not be exactly the same, but the same general idea.

Chef
helf

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh! I know!

Thats the equivalent of "taking a gamble". Smile
RacerX

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Got another SGI machine today... Reply with quote

Congratulations.

I just picked up an Indigo2 Impact last Sunday. It is an R10000 at 175 MHz with Solid Impact graphics. Beautiful condition (practically mint condition), which I got for $30US. The original owner had no idea what it was that he had.

Yes, the hard drives should be listed in the hinv even when done in the console from PROM. You'll also know if it is there or not by removing the front case plate. You can download the user manual from here.

Mine came with a 2 GB drive (which I'll end up replacing) and an internal CD-ROM drive.

More important than the drive being there is that you need the drive sleds to be there. Having sleds for both my Indigos and my Indigo2 is quite helpful as they supply an interface to the SCSI bus. I have a few drive carriages for my Indy, but they aren't nearly as important because the Indy uses the standard 50 pin SCSI ribbon.

While this Indigo2 is going to be fun to play with, I don't see it replacing my Indy any time soon. It may be 2 to three times faster than my Indy (R4400sc at 175 MHz), but because the Indy has both the Indy Video and Cosmo Compression cards it will stay at the top of my SGI collection.
helf

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$30? wow... Wish I could find one that cheap Smile I'll just keep watching ebay.
RacerX

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was something I stumbled across on Craig's List (so the person I got it from was less than 15 minutes away from me... no shipping cost! Shocked ).

Yeah, I wasn't thinking I would ever have an Indigo2 as the direct upgrade model from my Indy would be an O2 with the AV option. But at $30, it was hard to pass up.

I've been considering my options with it since I got it... since the Solid Impact is a single card (verses the multiple cards used for the High and Maximum Impact graphics) I have room for more than one. I've been playing with the idea of replacing my Quadra 950 with it's three 21" displays with the Indigo2 with three 20" displays.

:roll:

The only thing I can think of that would be better than playing A-10 Attack on three 21" displays on my Quadra would be to play Flight/Dog on three 20" displays on an Indigo2. Very Happy
crimsonRE

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got an I^2 configured exactly as this first system - congrats, it's a lot of fun. As noted, though, I hope you have one of the 'sleds' on which a hard drive is mounted, or else you'll need to put the hard drive in an external SCSI enclosure and cable it to the external SCSI bus. I haven't looked in quite a while, but I don't think there's a modern WWW browser built for this particular CPU architecture - I've only seen Mozilla built for the R10k I^2's.

The latter system was sold as the "Killer IMPACT" bundle. I haven't looked for I^2 stuff in a long while but you might still be able to run into the 195MHz CPU modules to upgrade the machine, very easy to do.
Note that the Solid IMPACT does not come with any TRAM - though of course I would think your Quadra's graphics doesn't either. TRAM's great for fast realistic graphics, though the TRAM modules are rather hard to find. I can't remember off the top of my head if you have to reinstall the graphics portion of IRIX when going from Solid to High/Max IMPACT...

I did most of my collecting of SGI systems from 2000-2004, which happily coincided with what could probably be called the "Golden Years" for availability of everything from the Personal IRIS up to the Octane (although those were somewhat expensive, >$300), as well as big iron like the PowerSeries, Crimson, and Onyx/Challenge, and accessories.

Nekochan.net, sgistuff.g-lenerz.de, and www.futuretech.blinkenlights.nl/sgi.html are excellent places for info. concerning SGI machines, in addition to SGI's library, techpubs.sgi.com

Cheers,
crimsonRE
helf

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firefox should run on irix on any of those MIPS cpu versions. I had a friend with an indy that ran firefox.

you may have to compile it yourself though.
RacerX

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crimsonRE wrote:
Note that the Solid IMPACT does not come with any TRAM - though of course I would think your Quadra's graphics doesn't either. TRAM's great for fast realistic graphics, though the TRAM modules are rather hard to find.

TRAM requires additional boards... and what I like about the Solid Impact is that it is a single board (and they are cheep too).

Like I've said, this isn't a work system, and I don't do anything 3D. If I'm going to drop any real money in a system, it had better have a place in my work flow. My Indy has paid for itself more than a dozen times over. And I could put together an O2 that could do the same.

The only reason I have this Indigo2 is that it cost about as much as a night at the movies... So avoiding TRAM and ending up with three displays (without braking the budget) was the whole point. Very Happy
crimsonRE

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, of course, you can compile Firefox yourself - I was just referring to the compiled version available on nekochan.net, which is available only for mips4 architecture (R5k & up).

Ok, I looked at Nekochan.net's news and right there, on the home page, is a note about an archive of tardists of excellent SW for mips3 machines, including Firefox 1.5 - http://www.mechanics.citg.tudelft.nl/~everdij/nekoware/index.php?path=nekoware-mips3/
And there's even a new archive of 5.3 & 6.2 SW - http://jupiterrise.com/tgcware/

Hot, diggity dog - guess I'll be jumping back onto my old SGI's; yes, I have been too lazy about building up software for a while now. Ya shoulda seen the gyrations I went through to get Mesa running under IRIX 5.3 on my PowerSeries 4D/120...

Cheers,
crimsonRE
RacerX

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crimsonRE wrote:
Hot, diggity dog - guess I'll be jumping back onto my old SGI's; yes, I have been too lazy about building up software for a while now. Ya shoulda seen the gyrations I went through to get Mesa running under IRIX 5.3 on my PowerSeries 4D/120...

That would be a fun system to play with. I came across a 4D/440 VGX for around $75 a couple years ago, but when my wife saw the size of the system she vetoed that purchase. Embarassed
crimsonRE

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, it's been quite a bit of nerdy fun to have some of these behemoths around, machines used mostly in research settings but more widely known for the part they played in producing graphics for Hollywood in such movies as "Jurassic Park", "The Terminator", and "The Abyss".

I caught, I think, the tail end of the Golden Age of Surplus for these machines, ending up with quite a collection for next to no dollars: the aforementioned 4D/120 Twin Tower with GTX graphics (the first of the PowerSeries systems), a later Diehard single tower, and a Crimson. I've also gotten a bunch of different processor and graphics boards so can use many combinations of CPU's, and the graphics includes GTX, GTXB, VGX, VGXT, and RE (Reality Engine). OS' include 5.3, 6.2, and 6.5.

And how it is I'm allowed to have these 3 giants: no kids (yet), an understanding wife, and a basement...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: