NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Mozilla apps for Openstep?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Porting New Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alobos

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:01 am    Post subject: Mozilla apps for Openstep? Reply with quote

Hi.

I'm discovering Openstep after 12 years of wanting to run and use it.

Is it possible to port Firefox and thunderbird to openstep relatively easy, or it isn't?

Is there any chance to port webkit to run as a native Openstep app by writing any kind of "wrapper" for it? maybe other solutions for modern browsing in Openstep?

Cheers.
crimsonRE

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, I'm pretty certain nobody has tried (or likely ever will try) to port even glib or gtk to NextStep/OpenStep, not to mention all the ancillary toolkits. If you would like to, have at it!

The easiest way is to install one of the X11 servers for NS/OS, run the X11 version of FireFox on some other computer (a Sun machine, or a PC running *BSD or LINUX) and have it display on the NeXT machine. Works quite well on my 75MHz SS-II SPARC 20 running NS 3.3; can't say I've tried it on an actual NeXT box.

Drat, I can't remember the X11 software I use; it's the one where you have the choice of having it share the display with the NS GUI, or run as a seperate display (& pointing the mouse pointer at the edge of the screen will pop you back and forth between displays) - very nifty, all around.
winfried

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

regarding glib and gtk: if you have an X11 server, like Cub'X 5, glib and gtk can be configured and compiled on nextstep (I did this with version 1.2x, without any modifications, you might need some tools like a newer version of GNU make). This shouldn't be a problem.
helf

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you ported firefox or something to OS, you'd make a lot of people happy Razz
jimmer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, you might want to have a look at khtml and the GNUstep webkit first...

The chaps at apple had a look at gecko/mozilla and decided that it was waaay too big to start mucking with. They went with the much smaller khtml codebase. ripped out the Qt dependencies and ported it to Cocoa. Safari is basically khtml on steroids - lots of it ;)

grts,

jimmer
multi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple years back, well when mozilla.org was created, there was a guy by the name of Balazs who did port the rendering engine to nextstep. I have that code some where, but you can also find it on mozilla.org(look for very old sources). But that's how far it got, just the rendering engine.
Nitro
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stumbled upon an October, 1998 version of the Mozilla Release FAQ which seems to indicate that the current version of Mozilla (at that time) would compile on NEXTSTEP.

http://lwn.net/1998/1015/mozfaq.html

Section 2.8 of the FAQ states:
Code:

2.8) What do I need to compile on a Rhapsody/NeXTStep system?
   Upgrade to GCC 2.7.2 or later
   (ftp://ftp.peanuts.org/peanuts/OpenStep/developer/programs/language/c_and_friends/)
   get gnu make
   (ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu)
   and a recent version of Perl.
   (ftp://ftp.peanuts.org/peanuts/./NEXTSTEP/unix/script/perlCORE.5.004_02.NIHS.b.pkg.tar.gz)
   The developer tools for NeXTStep (unless you're on Rhapsody) will also be needed,
   and they're not free.
   With all of these tools, you won't need to do anything different from any other Unix.

Has anyone tried this? I don’t have any compiling experience but I may give it a try sometime.
mgtremaine

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ths archives are here

http://archive.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla/releases/

The oldest thing there is "m3" dated Mar of 1999 I guess it is worth a try...

-Mike

ADDED: If you try to build m3 the first thing you'll hit is the ./configure fails on nspr. If you cd into nsprpub and try to "make" by hand it fails because it can not get the right Arch setting. The work around is to edit

mozilla/nsprpub/config/arch.mk

It uses "uname" naturally and it wants uname -s to says "NEXTSTEP" so if you have my uname alike make sure you set it to that and then edit the last line of arch.mk so it looks like this. [You just want OS_TARGET the OS_RELEASE will confuse it.] If you don;t have a uname you can probably just hardset that.

#OS_CONFIG := $(OS_TARGET)$(OS_RELEASE)
OS_CONFIG := $(OS_TARGET)

With that I was able to "make" nsprpub. Now lets see if the rest will go.??
nextchef

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mgtremaine wrote:
Ths archives are here

http://archive.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla/releases/

The oldest thing there is "m3" dated Mar of 1999 I guess it is worth a try...

-Mike

ADDED: If you try to build m3 the first thing you'll hit is the ./configure fails on nspr. If you cd into nsprpub and try to "make" by hand it fails because it can not get the right Arch setting. The work around is to edit

mozilla/nsprpub/config/arch.mk

It uses "uname" naturally and it wants uname -s to says "NEXTSTEP" so if you have my uname alike make sure you set it to that and then edit the last line of arch.mk so it looks like this. [You just want OS_TARGET the OS_RELEASE will confuse it.] If you don;t have a uname you can probably just hardset that.

#OS_CONFIG := $(OS_TARGET)$(OS_RELEASE)
OS_CONFIG := $(OS_TARGET)

With that I was able to "make" nsprpub. Now lets see if the rest will go.??

Were you able to get any farther on getting the rest to compile?

Chef
mgtremaine

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No not yet. I gave it another shot the other day when I finally got netris fixed up but I'm still stuck at the same place [which is nspr not being found.] I think I need to read the Configure script and see what the deal is.

Sadly just running ./configure takes a good 3mins+ until it bombs out.

-Mike
Nitro
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some older versions of the Mozilla source dated 1998 that may go further in the compile process. Not sure if these will work, but it may be worth a try.

http://www.nextcomputers.org/NeXTfiles/Projects/Mozilla_Source/
Rob Blessin Black Hole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nitro wrote:
I have some older versions of the Mozilla source dated 1998 that may go further in the compile process. Not sure if these will work, but it may be worth a try.

http://www.nextcomputers.org/NeXTfiles/Projects/Mozilla_Source/

I don't know if the trail has gone cold on this project but I know there is interest in bringing a modern web browser to the NeXT platform.

I was told that NetBSD running on black hardware will run the latest version of FireFOX.
Does anyone have experience installing NetBSD on anything ... Reading their instructions I'm like a deer in the headlights . My understanding is you first install it on something like a Mac , I'm guessing in Virtual Box then you conjure up some networking guru magic where it takes over the NeXT over a network .... I'm not sure if it ever is installed physically on the NeXT hardware ? Then you launch Firefox

So back to Mozilla there is https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/skyzyx/53226933/ show it running on NeXTstep any thoughts ? Anyone know where the app or developer is behind the photo? Best regards Rob
barcher174

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that is just x-forwarded and not a native build. Notice that xeyes is also running at the same time.

--
Brian
Nitro
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NetBSD had to be run diskless in the past because they didn’t have SCSI support for the NeXT. They have SCSI working now, however some of the documentation is outdated and I don’t believe they have an installer working. One of their available projects is “Better installation tools, now that SCSI works”.

http://wiki.netbsd.org/ports/next68k/
pitz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barcher174 wrote:
I think that is just x-forwarded and not a native build. Notice that xeyes is also running at the same time.

I concur with Brian -- it was just a Cub-X X sever running on the NEXTSTEP/OPENSTEP box, and the apps running on a remote machine (maybe Linux). The "export DISPLAY=...", xeyes, and mozilla, in the remote terminal was a giveaway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Porting New Software All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: