NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Users unable to reset passwords or create new accounts?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nextchef

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:43 am    Post subject: Users unable to reset passwords or create new accounts? Reply with quote

It appears some users are having issues logging into the forum, as described in the post below on neozeed's site. I messaged Rob but wanted to post here as well just in case.

https://virtuallyfun.com/wordpress/2019/02/21/anyone-with-forum-access-to-nextcomputers-org/
Rob Blessin Black Hole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello: As a test run, I've opened up the forums to registration , if it doesn't like your email address gmail.com, yahoo.com and preferred user name, most email address extensions are not banned . it is because we had to ban the extensions from spammers , if it says your email is banned please send me an email to sales@blackholeinc.com and I will get you registered . During this test run of 1 week , I want to see how many spam accounts attempt to sign up verse legitimate accounts.
Best Regards Rob Blessin neozeed you should be able to login.
neozeed

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm back now!

I was using my own domain @superglobalmegacorp.com as I was migrating away from gmail... and in that process my account was disabled. I tried registereing a new account on other domains I own along with the typical google/MS etc to no avail.

Although that was a few months ago...

I'd finally had to post something to get back in.
t-rexky

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back Very Happy
neozeed

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

t-rexky wrote:
Welcome back Very Happy

Thanks!

I'm not sure what happend but it sucked being locked out for months... And not being able to make a duplicate account sucked too.

I hope others aren't locked out as well.
t-rexky

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder, it has been awfully quiet in the last while. Just sporadic posts here and there but not much real activity.
neozeed

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

t-rexky wrote:
I wonder, it has been awfully quiet in the last while. Just sporadic posts here and there but not much real activity.

Yeah Ive been only watching from the outside.. I'd check every few weeks or so, but I have to wonder if I was the only one locked out, or how many others couldn't sign up.
Rob Blessin Black Hole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is the result of opening the group up to registration for 12 hours lol, I'm shuting it down again , everyone of these is BS and have been removed.

Marykat Send e-mail USA 24 Feb 2019 0
2 Send private message Sparkliert Send e-mail WHY, SHOULD,I TELL U 24 Feb 2019 0
3 Send private message tuyusihgul Send e-mail Italy 24 Feb 2019 0
4 Send private message izokofwe Send e-mail Greece 24 Feb 2019 0
5 Send private message qpidnetworklqr Send e-mail THAI 24 Feb 2019 0
6 Send private message Gregoryhom Send e-mail Mir 24 Feb 2019 0
7 Send private message JamesNiz Send e-mail Barbados 24 Feb 2019 0
8 Send private message DannyAvoig Send e-mail Lithuania 24 Feb 2019 0
9 Send private message ukokuqubumoqu Send e-mail Hungary 24 Feb 2019 0
10 Send private message Aphillipror Send e-mail Thailand 24 Feb 2019 0
11 Send private message AdavidOrelp Send e-mail Iraq 24 Feb 2019 0
12 Send private message uxobifenokebu Send e-mail Israel 24 Feb 2019 0
13 Send private message Craigsmony Send e-mail Bolivia 24 Feb 2019 0
14 Send private message orvilacdekaf Send e-mail Latvia 24 Feb 2019 0
15 Send private message oqeihaqow Send e-mail Vietnam 24 Feb 2019 0
16 Send private message Justinawelty Send e-mail Malawi 24 Feb 2019 0
17 Send private message ivoseyudoj Send e-mail Nigeria 23 Feb 2019 0
18 Send private message ovebavilu Send e-mail Saudi Arabia 23 Feb 2019 0
19 Send private message GeorgePhick Send e-mail Australia 23 Feb 2019 0
20 Send private message thunderbird32 23 Feb 2019 0
21 Send private message julietteno11 Send e-mail Harrison, Michigan 23 Feb 2019 0
In taking a pole which ones should I approve as legitimate NeXT Computer enthusiasts ? The answer was ZERO , I thought may be one or 2 would be legitimate but none are ..... if you want to legitimately register please just email me directly sales@blackholeinc.com ,

also apparently changing anything in your current registration is also not possible under lock down , just PM me I can open it up for any of you , apologies for the hassle but it keeps us from be trampled under by spammers and scammers.... I am happy to assist you with any changes you need to make , if you are locked out just email me

what truly amazes me is that there are so people willing to troll any forum with plans to spam the hell out of them and basically ruin them for everyone else.

If anyone has a better idea on how to do this please let me know I'm listening , I'm far from perfect , my heart is in it.

It took an hour of my valuable time to delete these false accounts and I wanted to run a 7 day test , instead I have seen enough in 12 hours.
rumbeard

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the only thing you'd need to improve is that awful captcha. It's one of those where one or two letters are nearly unidentifiable in every try. Esp. for us old, blind, over 40's.
Nitro
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope to move the forums to a new server sometime in the next three months or so. I'm going to upgrade the ancient forum software at the same time so we won't have such a difficult time with the spammers. I've been actively working on it and have a test server running to try out the new software. The current hosting package is expensive and administration options are limited. Your patience is appreciated, and my apologies for the inconvenience. We'll get things moving in the right direction soon.
neozeed

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Blessin Black Hole wrote:

It took an hour of my valuable time to delete these false accounts and I wanted to run a 7 day test , instead I have seen enough in 12 hours.

Yeah on my blog it's out of control for the same reasons. Even your reply got caught up in the spam thing I have to use... It's crazy how many people have bots cruising around looking for wordpress/phpbb and how well they have automated user creation, verification and posting.

OpenID almost solved things with a central authority that could do stuff like 2FA, just as microsoft almost did with their live thing but they all decided to step down and abandon it.

I don't know if Akismet Anti-Spam has any modules for the forum? It's greatly saved my time/effort combating spam.

Id' just suggest adding an image instead of text to the user signup page with contact and process so the spammers can just waste their time.

I know with couldflare you can 'protect' pages and paths so that logon/logoff have to go through challenges which will trip the bots up.

The problem is that it's a war of attrition because bottom line is that bots are profitable (sadly) and that through automation the cost barrier for spammers is just too low. Sad
nextchef

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neozeed wrote:
I'm back now!

I was using my own domain @superglobalmegacorp.com as I was migrating away from gmail... and in that process my account was disabled. I tried registereing a new account on other domains I own along with the typical google/MS etc to no avail.

Although that was a few months ago...

I'd finally had to post something to get back in.

Glad it worked out and you were able to get back in!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nitro wrote:
I hope to move the forums to a new server sometime in the next three months or so. I'm going to upgrade the ancient forum software at the same time so we won't have such a difficult time with the spammers. I've been actively working on it and have a test server running to try out the new software. The current hosting package is expensive and administration options are limited. Your patience is appreciated, and my apologies for the inconvenience. We'll get things moving in the right direction soon.

Thank you!
nextchef

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nitro wrote:

This sounds great Nitro. Appreciate all the effort towards this, especially with how "quiet" in general this forum is.
neozeed

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nitro wrote:

I'm sure moving to newer software will help a great deal!

I'd suggest trying the free level stuff from cloudflare as well, it weeds out a lot of bad actors.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Site News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: