NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
My NeXTstation says Default boot device not found.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ROBeRTO

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: My NeXTstation says Default boot device not found. Reply with quote

Hey,

I just bought a NeXTstation Turbo recently and it worked just fine for a few days but now it's acting funky.

When I start up the machine it shows the graphic of "Testing System..." then i hear the error beep and it kicks me into the Rom Monitor. [my comments in square brackets] It reads:

NeXT ROM Monitor 3.0 (v68) [on the black strip at the top of the screen]

Default boot device not found.
NeXT>

I'm not sure how/where to tell it boot from. Does anyone know?

I've tried typing bsd -s and it says this:

init arg: -sx
NeXT ROM Monitor 3.0 v70
NeXT Mach 3.3: Mon Oct 24 13:56:37 PDT 1994; root (rcbuilder) : mk-171.9.obj~2R/C_m68k/RELEASE_M68K
FPU version 0x41
physical memory = 16.00 megabytes.
available memory = 14.07 megabytes.
using 102 buffers containing 0.79 megabytes of memory
fc0 at 0x2014100
Sony MPX-111N as fd0 at fc0 slave 0
SCSI 53C90A Controller, Target 7, as sc0 at 0x2014000
SEAGATE ST1480 Rev 5736 as sd0 at sc0 target 1 lun 0
Disk Label : Disk
Disk Capacity 406MB , Device Block 512 bytes
Generic SCSI Device as sg0 at sc0 target 7 lun 7
Generic SCSI Device as sg1 at sc0 target 7 lun 7
Generic SCSI Device as sg2 at sc0 target 7 lun 7
Generic SCSI Device as sg3 at sc0 target 7 lun 7
en at 0x2006000
en0: Ethernet address 00: 00: 0f :01 :0e :46
IP protocol enabled for interface en0, type "10MB Ethernet"
dsp0 at 0x2008000
np0 at 0x200f000
sound0 at 0x200e000
root on sd0

Sat Jan 6 23:59:20 PST 1996
Singleuser boot -- fsck not done
Faking root mount entries

Enter hardware password:
erase ^? intr ^C kill ^U
#

I'm very new to this system but I would really like to get it up and going again ASAP.

Any suggestions would help.

Thanks!
Andreas

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: My NeXTstation says Default boot device not found. Reply with quote

ROBeRTO wrote:
Hey,

I just bought a NeXTstation Turbo recently and it worked just fine for a few days but now it's acting funky.

Default boot device not found.
NeXT>

Try to use the "p" command at this state to setup the default boot to "sd"

Quote:

NeXT ROM Monitor 3.0 v70

I wouldn't use these deadly old ROM. Try to burn a v33 one.

Quote:

Singleuser boot -- fsck not done
Faking root mount entries

Enter hardware password:
erase ^? intr ^C kill ^U
#
[/b]

The filesystem on the harddrive is damaged in a manner that fsck can't repair anything. I could be possible that the hd is broken. Put in a new one an reinstall from your OS CDs.
Since fsck doesn't repair anything you don't know wich programs you can trust on these hd so you can put that in the bin
lafonge

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks like the standard single user mode console message (the bit about fsck not being done etc). Try just "bsd" at the Open Firmware Console prompt, or if it continually brings you to the single user prompt, run fsck by typing "fsck -y". (the -y says to say yes to fixing any issues fsck may find). after fsck runs, it may say "FILESYSTEM HAS BEEN MODIFIED". If it does, run it again the same way. You want to keep running it until it does not give the "FILESYSTEM MODIFIED" message. At that point, type "exit" and it should proceed with a normal multi-user boot.

If it continually boots from being off to the Open Firmware prompt, you will want to try and set "bsd" as the permanent boot command. you can get a list of your current Open Firmware commands by typing "printenv" at the Open Firmware prompt. One attribute should say "boot-device" with bsd or net or something after it. On the right hand side of the screen, it should also show what the default value for that attribute should be.

To set an attribute permanently, type "setenv boot-device bsd" at the console prompt. That should make it permenant.

Hope you get it working.

p.s. I have been working a LOT on my Sun boxes lately so I may have the syntax a little off.
phoenixuk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, yeah. "printenv" and "setenv" are both Sun commands; most NeXT ROM monitor commands are one or two letters in length. To review and set the boot parameters on a NeXT, issue the 'p' command. You will be prompted, one-by-one, by a list of available settings with their current values. To leave the value unchanged, press return, otherwise enter a new value (note that yes and no can be abbreviated to y and n) followed by return.

The first entry that appears is the default boot device. To boot from disk, supply the parameter "sd". I believe you can supply a target, LUN, and filename to boot here, but "sd" on it's own will have the NeXT search for the lowest ID disk.
ROBeRTO

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Thanks a lot! Reply with quote

Hey thanks fellas! It's up and running again great!

I found out that I had to erase the old network preferences so that the system didn't hang and keep trying to find a network that wasn't properly set up ( I found the info in this posting http://www.nextcomputers.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=562). After I did that it would always start up in the Rom Monitor. What happened was when I hit "p" in the Rom Monitor and was asked the series of "boot questions," I was typing "y" when it asked "boot command." (DUH!) So i typed "sd" and that was step one. Step two was answering "no" to "boot extended diagnostics." After that I got the normal GUI boot screen (picture of NeXTstation, disk spinning, loading bar, login screen) and all is well again.

Thanks again, I learned SO much about my awesome, awesome NeXTstation!

Wink
helf

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you got it up an running! I love my NeXT. I actually use it quite a bit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Black Hardware All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: