NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Some NeXT paraphernalia
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
da9000

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:16 am    Post subject: Some NeXT paraphernalia Reply with quote

This photo isn't so good, but it's a preview of what I'll be showing at some point (when I have time for better photos and more space to lay things out), and some of the items that I'll be sharing with the rest of the NeXT fans. (In case you've not seen the rare cube these came with, the link is: http://www.nextcomputers.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=664) I'll also be scanning many of these at some point (I realize some are "plain" or common, but there are a few that I bet nobody else has...)

EDIT: let's try my hand at BBcode

Last edited by da9000 on Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:56 pm; edited 3 times in total
pergamon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: Some NeXT paraphernalia Reply with quote

da9000 wrote:
This photo isn't so good, but it's a preview of what I'll be showing at some point (when I have time for better photos and more space to lay things out), and some of the items that I'll be sharing with the rest of the NeXT fans. I'll also be scanning many of these at some point (I realize some are "plain" or common, but there are a few that I bet nobody else has...)

http://picasaweb.google.com/adonisoamigas/NeXTParaphernalia/photo#5049833883193679218

You've got to scan the NRW Manufacturing Overview first!
da9000

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Pergamon,

I definitely will scan that puppy! Smile (any idea what the R and W stand for? W could be for workshop, not sure though) I've not had a chance to go through it carefully, but there seem to be diagrams for parts and machines never released. For example, there seem to be a couple motherboard designs that contain some (all?) of the cube/station core logic chipsets, yet the layout of the board is _completely_ different from what's inside a cube or a station!

I've also never seen a color laser printer (in real life), yet I have both the brochures for it and also the Canon repair/tech manuals for it. I also have the repair/tech manual for the N4006 with all the schematics etc. I'll have to check on channelu.com to see if they're already there..

There are also many (like laminated) re-prints of various magazine articles just for company employees, etc.

Anything duplicate I'll probably 'redistribute'.

Is there any interest NEXTWORLD magazines? Or are these common all over the place?
pergamon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

da9000 wrote:

I definitely will scan that puppy! Smile (any idea what the R and W stand for? W could be for workshop, not sure though) I've not had a chance to go through it carefully, but there seem to be diagrams for parts and machines never released. For example, there seem to be a couple motherboard designs that contain some (all?) of the cube/station core logic chipsets, yet the layout of the board is _completely_ different from what's inside a cube or a station!

That'd be the NeXT RISC Workstation, most likely. Indeed unreleased, and much different from anything else. I suppose it could be a different "NRW", but in any case, you've certainly got something hard to find there.

da9000 wrote:

I've also never seen a color laser printer (in real life), yet I have both the brochures for it and also the Canon repair/tech manuals for it. I also have the repair/tech manual for the N4006 with all the schematics etc. I'll have to check on channelu.com to see if they're already there..

Are you sure it is for a laser printer? NeXT sold a SCSI color inkjet printer...

Any schematics and repair info is certainly good to get out there too.

da9000 wrote:

There are also many (like laminated) re-prints of various magazine articles just for company employees, etc.

Anything duplicate I'll probably 'redistribute'.

Is there any interest NEXTWORLD magazines? Or are these common all over the place?

Fairly common, depending on the issue. The first issue is harder to find. I think I have almost all of them now, but I'll have to check. I'm sure some people are looking for many issues.

And I'll go on the record as being interested in any duplicate items you might have to "redistribute" Wink
da9000

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Some rare NeXT paraphernalia Reply with quote

pergamon wrote:

That'd be the NeXT RISC Workstation, most likely. Indeed unreleased, and much different from anything else. I suppose it could be a different "NRW", but in any case, you've certainly got something hard to find there.

OH F***!!!
No wonder the schematics are completely different! And no wonder the word "Confidential" is all over the cover. It's dated 1992 if that makes it more valid.

pergamon wrote:

Are you sure it is for a laser printer? NeXT sold a SCSI color inkjet printer...

Any schematics and repair info is certainly good to get out there too.

No, I'm not so sure it's a laser printer. I'll check again. It's probably what you're saying, the inkjet.

Yes, the schematics will be released publically for sure. I want the NeXT machines to make it to the next century if possible :)

pergamon wrote:

Fairly common, depending on the issue. The first issue is harder to find. I think I have almost all of them now, but I'll have to check. I'm sure some people are looking for many issues.

Yeah, I've got the complete volumes 1-3 I believe and a couple missing from volume 4. And a duplicate: Winter 1992 Volume 2 Issue 4

pergamon wrote:

And I'll go on the record as being interested in any duplicate items you might have to "redistribute" Wink

I'll keep you posted. I'll probably also "redistribute" some of the non-duplicates. But don't know when I'll be able to do that, because I'd like to first read them carefully and make some scans, because who knows if the next (no pun intended) owner's house ends up in a flood or hurricane storm! Smile

Last edited by da9000 on Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
helf

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow! please do get all this online!

Pretty interesting stuff.

Bit off topic, but it would be awesome if we could get an "ok" from Apple ti distribute NS/OS cd images and make a dvd set with all the videos, images, documents etc that are floating around. I would definitely buy something like that.
da9000

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pergamon, you were right! This manual is definitely for the famed "phantom" RISC Workstation at NeXT! Check it out:

Last edited by da9000 on Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
crimsonRE

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

helf wrote:
wow! please do get all this online!

Pretty interesting stuff.

Bit off topic, but it would be awesome if we could get an "ok" from Apple ti distribute NS/OS cd images and make a dvd set with all the videos, images, documents etc that are floating around. I would definitely buy something like that.

Probably won't ever happen - NeXT incorporated a lot of other companies' (copyrighted) software within NextStep. For instance, the imaging model is Adobe's Display PostScript. So it'll be highly unlikely that all these companies will be willing to go through the legal gyrations required to free all this stuff up, no matter that it is all 'obsolete'.
da9000

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's unfortunately true, as CrimsonRE says, so the only way to have it done is as a fan-initiated project. Now only to find some time!
Andreas

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

da9000 wrote:
Pergamon, you were right! This manual is definitely for the famed "phantom" RISC Workstation at NeXT!

double-Wow! Nice Stuff and pleeeeeeaaaase: scan this rare document.
(and if you like to sell it, contact me, hehehehe Smile))
da9000

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will definitely scan it, but when I get a little bit of time. For now it's safely and carefully stored someplace Smile
emond

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice ;)

about the Motorola 88100 RISC CPU see this :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorola_88000
pentium

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, by chance did the NRW book come with your NeXT "Personal Mainframe"?

-NeXT 68040 Cube with NS 3.3 and 64Mb ram
da9000

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pentium wrote:
Hey, by chance did the NRW book come with your NeXT "Personal Mainframe"?

Yes, along with many other goodies!
pentium

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the chances that the cube you have has some sort of relation to the book?

Quote:
along with many other goodies!

How do you guys get so lucky? I have to work hard to just find a zip drive and even then I still have to drive halfway to hell to pick it up.

-NeXT 68040 Cube with NS 3.3 and 64Mb ram
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> NeXT History All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: